Should I make a big deal out of playing background music in a coffee shop?

Hello U-G members

As a newbie of this forum, I'd like to ask you the title question. I have been invited to play in this coffee shop/ acoustic venue in my city on Saturday morning. As much as I feel confident about taking my 4 yr-old guitar playing to the new stage ( I played live before, yet in coffee shop), I'm not sure about whether I should invite several friends to see me play. Part of me thinks playing background music allows myself to have more playing experiences rather than an opportunity to showcase my songwriting talent. I appreciate any inputs.
No. You should just go and have fun. You have the right idea that it will give you more experience, but don't expect much reaction from the customers/notoriety to come from this.
yes, you're ****ing famous dawg
I guess that depends on if the coffee shop is big enough. Like, it would kind of suck if the shop got overrun with nothing but your friends.

But if you're really just looking to get playing experience, then sure. Why not?
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by phan.nguyen.6
As a newbie of this forum, I'd like to ask you the title question.

Yeah, but I'd suggest you not to do it in The Pit. You'll probably figure out why.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don't think you should make a big deal out of it. Infact, use that time to discover new ways of playing. It's about entertaining the customers, yes, but I don't think anyone will actually focus on your music, because it is afterall background music.
Is that a question that needs an answer? And why don't you just ask that straight to your friends than make a thread about it and ask strangers, you fcking weirdo!
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

I'm sure the coffee shop owners would like the increased business of a couple of friends, and if you have a couple friends coming and watching you play you'll probably draw a little more attention to yourself.

I also wouldn't go in there and play exercises or over practice anything in particular, it's probably a better idea to play songs and progressions or jam with some backing tracks (if you can). If your there for a long time you can repeat your set-list as people come and go to.
make a big deal send mass e-mails/facebook invites? no

invite 3-4 friends because it's always nice to have friends around anyways? yes

3-4 friends that are also musicians, or non-musician friends who's opinions you respect to offer constructive criticism/input on your learning experience? even better
I'm not sure about coffee shops but the reason bars pay bands to play is to increase business and sales. It wouldn't be a bad idea to invite friends to come see you play and have a coffee, as long as they're not hotting and hollering and treating it like a party. I've played at a coffee shop before, people clapped after each song, which I wasn't expecting and I got a nice long ovation after I finished. It depends on the place I guess
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Yes you can probably invite a few friends. Good luck, stage performance is really exhilarating.
Quote by Masquirina
Yes you can probably invite a few friends. Good luck, stage performance is really exhilarating.

I'm sure it is, don't see the relevance here though.
Quote by Masquirina
He said stage! I assume the cafe has a stage-like area of some kind.

my bad. I wonder if he means it literally, none of my locals have stages.
Dude, don't invite your friends. Maybe tell them you're playing there, but don't make it a show!
If it were me, I'd just be honored to supply the vibe. I'm trying to play in shops and restaurants this summer just because it's so awesome that I am the one supplying vibes to customers, not shitty pop radio!
Rock on mannn!
Quote by captainsnazz
I wouldn't invite tons of friends, but maybe just mention to a couple of mates that they could pop in and visit at some point.

Basically^

By the way, Snazz, you are consistently one of the most sensible (and humorous) posters I've seen on UG.
I'm not sure what you mean by "make a big deal out of it," but take your playing and performance seriously, no matter where you're playing. Whether or not you are "background music" kind of depends on how many people are at the shop and how loud you are. If there are not so many people, they will probably pay more attention to you. Either way, practice a lot beforehand and play with some passion and you'll do fine.
I would use this gig to get more experience with playing live and save the invites for a better gig or even an open night jam at a bar. I could be wrong but the coffee shop doesn't sound like the right place to belting too many people.
Quote by guitarscales
I would use this gig to get more experience with playing live and save the invites for a better gig or even an open night jam at a bar. I could be wrong but the coffee shop doesn't sound like the right place to belting too many people.

I agree. I know I wouldn't want MY friends at a place where I'm providing background music.

It doesn't really matter tho, it's a gig.
Quote by captainsnazz
I wouldn't invite tons of friends, but maybe just mention to a couple of mates that they could pop in and visit at some point.

yeh this
Check out my band Disturbed
Guys he played this gig over half a year ago lol
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by Wiegenlied
Guys he played this gig over half a year ago lol

Our advice is timelss
Check out my band Disturbed