Now I know this screams no-brainer. But hear (read) me out for a minute.

Chorus isn't an effect I use particularly often. I know straight up that the Corona is a much nicer and nicer sounding pedal. But I don't want to pay Corona prices (even used they hold their value well).

I'm hopefully looking for input from people who have used both of these, who can give me some opinions on their comparison, exactly how in your opinion the Boss falls short, if that's an acceptable loss considering it's about 1/2 the price... stuff like that.

I'm down to these two in particular (I've looked at quite a few) because they have tone controls, which I want to have. Most Choruses are pretty sparse on controls.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Look for an old Boss CE-2 or CE-3 if you can't find a CE-1.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
are you willing to put up with a not-as-good-sounding chorus solely to have the tone control? most people would say the (analogue) ce2 mike mentioned sounds better, despite the lack of extra controls.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't want to deal with the 12v power supply of the older Bosses, on top of them not having tone controls.

I'll probably just wait for an amazing deal on a Corona to pop up.

EDIT: And to be honest I think the hype around older Bosses in general is a bit bullshit, after having some experiences with them, compared to modern versions.

Sure if you're trying to get a sound created by using an older version, by all means. But for the most part the new stuff doesn't sound notably worse, just different.

In any case the older CH-1s are completely analog.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 10, 2013,
oh are they? i knew (or thought i knew ) the newer ch1s were digital. If the older ones are analogue it might be worth a look.

Lots of people make ce2 clones, though, with the 9V option. I think, anyway. I think my tonerider chorus is closely based on a ce2. Bit hard to find, though. Mooer does a ce2 as well (with a level knob).

But if you're happy enough with the CH1 that's your call. I agree about the hype thing, I don't have much time for it, either. Stuff that's slightly better, or even a bit better, gets exaggerated to "No other pedal is usable!" I really like my tonerider but I wouldn't go to the ends of the earth or pay tons for it or anything like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I'm going off of what I read here. I assume it's accurate. http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/ch-1.xml

Kind of annoying how such a radical change can occur in the pedal and it st ill be shipped in the same exact box.

I know I'll like the Corona. I've watched a lot of videos of the CH-1, and I can't tell if I'll like it or not. I mean I have no idea if the videos are of an analog or digital version, which doesn't help at all.

The CH-1 seems very subtle though, as far as I can tell, and that doesn't seem very helpful to me.

The more I listen to videos, the more I'm leaning towards holding off for a Corona, it just sounds a lot better. The problem is that they go for $80-90 used, and that's just really more than I want to spend on an effect I'll use 2-3% of the time.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 10, 2013,
Nice link, I wasn't aware of that boss info site. Bookmarked

And yeah I agree with you. If they change the circuit, they should really change the product code, it's not like they don't do it with 95% of the rest of their products. They did the same with the DS1, the original circuit was different, more like a rat almost (single instead of dual op-amp).

And yeah I know what you mean about the 2-3% thing, that always hits me too. I don't want to end up with something I don't like, but it seems a bit extravagant forking out a lot of money for something you'll rarely use, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?