Page 1 of 2
http://m.christianpost.com/news/study-children-of-same-sex-parents-much-less-likely-to-graduate-from-high-school--106213/cpf

What do you think of studies like this? It's very opposite to the pits general view. And I don't know about how much biase you could argue this study has.

What do you think of these results? Would/how would you argue with them?

*edit* granted, it was conducted in Canada, so who knows what's actually going on up there.
Last edited by blue sky noise at Oct 10, 2013,
The Christian Post?
The Christian Post?

Yeah I agree.

EDIT: lol Canada
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Last edited by AeroRocker at Oct 10, 2013,
It's from the Christian Post, so I can't possibly imagine it having any sort of bias whatsoever...
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
"christianpost"

thats all I needed to see to know its bullshit
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Well this went better than I thought it would

Although I'm definitely not a Christian or a follower of the christianpost, could somebody's explain or put into words why* the website is so bullshit?
Last edited by blue sky noise at Oct 10, 2013,
Quote by blue sky noise

Although I'm definitely not a Christian or a follower of the christianpost, could somebody's explain or put into words why* the website is so bullshit?

They belong to a faith that opposes homosexuality. This doesn't automatically make their argument invalid of course, but it does make it not worth looking at. Show us a study from an organization that doesn't have something to gain by proving a downside to homosexuality, and we'll consider actually reading it.
Quote by blue sky noise

Same reason we wouldn't believe an article about Jews in the nazipost.
I wouldn't actually be particularly surprised if a lack of a male/female influence on a child caused minor problems in development, but I don't trust the source.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by DonGlover
It's from the Christian Post, so I can't possibly imagine it having any sort of bias whatsoever...

Yes, because the study was clearly done by the Christian Post too...
Quote by AxeToFall

it's called stormfront*
Well I read and I am studying psychology and sociology (yes im aware il never get a job)

But well the study can be legit it hasn't mentioned numbers of people in this survey. Also take into consideration how they actively do try to discredit LG parents by bring income etc.

What I find funny and this is me putting on my detective hat is that ok lets say we accept that data but they have not explained "Why?" they seem to want to label the parents as the problem rather look into the finer details. LGBT adaption only became legal in Canada 1999 (citation needed) so a child raised from infancy would be 13-15 years old. That's not graduation year is it? So are the children they conducted the survey on been in foster homes for a portion of their life's before adoption? Again these are the finer details that where not considered in this study this study is out to discredit the parents not find a solution. It doesn't even make mention that another issue that has been proved by legit sources is the biggest problem with LGBT raised kides is that they suffer alot of abuse and judgment from other people due to their status of being raised by gay parents. Again never mentioned.

Buts it's christian post ignore that crap.
Quote by AxeToFall

Yes...because that's an apt comparison.
Whilst it is feasible that having two parents of the same gender might not be as good for a child as one of each, even if true I suspect the effect would be insignificant compared to the many many other variants between parents that we don't take as worthy of discussion.

I suspect children of poor parents don't do as well, but it would be unthinkable to say that poor people shouldn't be allowed kids. Similarly a single parent might not be the ultimate ideal, or angry parents, or parents who work long hours, or people with certain beliefs etc etc etc.

Is it possible that children would develop better with a parent of each gender than both of the same? Maybe. Does it matter? No, of course not. The effect of gender is irrelevant compared to the importance of simply having loving caring parents.

But even regardless of whether it is better or worse for a child to have same sex parents, this doesn't mean same sex couples shouldn't be allowed kids. If people who are quite clearly just not well equipped to have kids, or even are simply bad parents, are allowed to have children, why should we say that any minor effect gender has really matters?
Quote by blue sky noise

The same reason I wouldn't read a Daily Mail article about immigrants.

Well actually I would read that but only because guaranteed lulz
Quote by Todd Hart
I wouldn't actually be particularly surprised if a lack of a male/female influence on a child caused minor problems in development, but I don't trust the source.

+1
Quote by MadClownDisease
If people who are quite clearly just not well equipped to have kids, or even are simply bad parents, are allowed to have children, why should we say that any minor effect gender has really matters?

The problem you see, is that you're thinking about it the wrong way. Instead of debating the effects of different conditions on child development you need to start with gays are evil because jesus and then find evidence justifying that.
Quote by Todd Hart

Good point.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by Mr E Meat
The problem you see, is that you're thinking about it the wrong way. Instead of debating the effects of different conditions on child development you need to start with gays are evil because jesus and then find evidence justifying that.

Not even the article bothered with such a stupid point. In fact, calling gays themselves evil is a judgment, and the Bible specifically forbids judging people. (Although, yes, the Bible does call homosexuality a sin, that doesn't mean Christians are to judge gay people -- contrary to what many Christians think today.)
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yes, because the study was clearly done by the Christian Post too...

It doesn't need to be for there to be bias. I highly doubt they'll publish something that isn't backing up their beliefs, regardless of whether there is bias present in the study itself. Refusing to acknowledge opposing studies and their data in the articles published is a form of media bias.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
The article makes a point to say that children of a gay couple had lower high school graduation rates than a single hetero parent. So, in each case the child had an absence of either a male or female parent. So that would suggest either:

1) Something societal is causing the issues for children of gay parents
2) Gay people are inherently worse at parenting

I can't imagine it would be the 2nd option...
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

YOU calling someones post inapt, that's rich.
Quote by AeroRocker
The article makes a point to say that children of a gay couple had lower high school graduation rates than a single hetero parent. So, in each case the child had an absence of either a male or female parent. So that would suggest either:

1) Something societal is causing the issues for children of gay parents
2) Gay people are inherently worse at parenting

I can't imagine it would be the 2nd option...

3) The study is complete horsecrap.
Even if this were a totally sound study by a reputable group of intellectuals, nobody would listen to it, anyway.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
brb looking up this article's statistics to see how credible it is

Nevermind not on my school's databases and not free on Google scholar EVEN THOUGH I'M LOGGED IN!

But I'd guess there's something weird with either their sample size or the numbers they chose to test their data.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

nazi sympathizer
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I've visited the journal and his personal website and I just can't seem to find his data, which is a bit odd.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Sure, gay parents are terrible.

But so are heterosexual parents, and immigrant parents, and native parents, and feminists with their sons, and fascists, and so on, so forth.
Quote by Todd Hart

this
Quote by soundgarden1986
juturna is better than blue sky noise.

thats all i have to add that wasnt said already

this is false
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 10, 2013,
Nvm, its not the same study. Mah bad
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Last edited by Carnivean at Oct 10, 2013,
Quote by Carnivean
Nvm, its not the same study. Mah bad

My problem is that it is pretty standard to make your datasets publicly available when you publish something, and I can't seem to find anything.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

I'm sure the Christian Post has already twisted whatever flimsy statistics they have to the absolute extreme, but even if this is the case, it's probably because they're getting so horrifically bullied by the kind of people who read this crap.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Page 1 of 2