what kind of music do you like?

for many of you answering this question will not be an easy task. however, i expect that you will try your hardest to provide a decent summary of your fantastic tastes and the thrilling tale of how they came to be. after all, you are pretty awesome, and the music you like is far better than the music other people like

begin

EDIT: feel free to take your time and be more extensive

most of you have been listening to music and developing your tastes for a long time. what styles of music were you initially drawn to as a kid? what bands in particular? how did your tastes evolve as you aged?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Oct 10, 2013,
Post-Metal, Stoner Metal and Math-Metal

Also, the rock variants of those three.
Quote by Burgery
most of you have been listening to music and developing your tastes for a long time. what styles of music were you initially drawn to as a kid? what bands in particular? how did your tastes evolve as you aged?

8-10 or so years old - I listened to a bunch of movie soundtracks because I was a dumb kid yo. So no bands in particular. But most of them had a upbeat popish sound.

10-12 - The Wallflowers and Tom Petty and such (alternative-ish).

13-15 - The Killers and The Faint (indie-ish)

15-17 - Linkin Park, Static-X, and Avenged Sevenfold (rock/metal-ish)
And Armor For Sleep and Yellowcard (emo/pop punk-ish I guess?)

17-19 - Rise Against, Silverstein, and ADTR (post-hardcore pretty much).

20-22 - Pretty much just a variety of different bands from previously mentioned genres.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Oct 10, 2013,
Across any genre, the kind of music which provides slow, often melancholic or depressing atmospheres, in some cases transitioning said atmospheres into brooding, violent ones.
🙈 🙉 🙊
folk-country, slacker rock, Prince
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
AFI, Against Me!, Alexisonfire, A Lot Like Birds, American Football, Animal Collective, Animals As Leaders, Arcade Fire, At the Drive-In, Atreyu, August Burns Red, Avenged Sevenfold, Balance and Composure, Bayside, The Beastie Boys, The Beatles, Between the Buried and Me, Billy Talent, Black Keys, Blink-182, Brand New, Bring Me the Horizon, Cerce, The Chariot, Chiodos, Christie Front Drive, Circa Survive, Coheed and Cambria, Comadre, Converge, Corelia, Daft Punk, Day To Remember, Deafheaven, Death Grips, Defeater, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Dropkick Murphys, Drug Church, Eminem, Enter Shikari, Every Time I Die, Explosions in the Sky, Faith No More, The Fall of Troy, Flogging Molly, Foo Fighters, Foxboro Hottubs, Franz Ferdinand, The Fratellis, GIRAFFES? GIRAFFES!, Glassjaw, Green Day, He is Legend, The Hives, Hot Cross, The Human Abstract, Japandroids, Jimmy Eat World, Johnny Cash, The Killers, Killswitch Engage, Knapsack, La Dispute, Led Zeppelin, Linkin Park, The Lonely Island, M.I.A., maybeshewill, Mastodon, Metallica, mewithoutYou, Modern Life is War, Modest Mouse, Mumford and Sons, Muse, My Chemical Romance, The Network, Neutral Milk Hotel, Nico Vega, Nirvana, Number 12 Looks Like You, The Offspring, Parkway Drive, Pearl Jam, Periphery, Phoenix, Poison the Well, Piano Becomes the Teeth, Protest the Hero, Queen, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, The Ramones, The Receiving End of Sirens, Red Fang, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rise Against, The Rolling Stones, Saintly Rows, San Cisco, Scale the Summit, Senses Fail, Sevendust, Sikth, Snapcase, Snowing, Soundgarden, The Strokes, Sublime, Sum 41, System of a Down, This Town Needs Guns, This Will Destroy You, Tigers Jaw, Ting Tings, Title Fight, Touche Amore, Trivium, Vampire Weekend, Weezer, The White Stripes, Yellowcard, You Slut!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
massive organized chaotic soundscapes
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Rock,metal,folk,Hawaiian music,some rap,disco:hides:,flamenco,new age,neo-mediaeval music,renaissance music.
Last edited by Axelfox at Oct 10, 2013,
I'm currently in my first year of studying Jazz at uni, so ya know, I have an interest in jazz. I listen to a lot of prog stuff (Pineapple Thief, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Steven Wilson, blah blah balh), some jam band stuff (Umphrey's Mcgee), "Indie" (Hey Rosetta!, Wintersleep, Everest), and so on, so forth, the list goes on.
Quote by Burgery

Don't remember ages very clearly, but the order was probably something like this

(??-11) - Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Queen

(11-14) - Green Day, Weezer, Rise Against, Linkin Park, System of a Down

(14-16) - Avenged Sevenfold, , The Strokes, Nirvana, Muse, Beastie Boys

(17-18) - Protest the Hero, Mastodon, The Fall of Troy

(18-19) - Between the Buried and Me, La Dispute, Arcade Fire

(19-20) - Converge, Every Time I Die, Dillinger Escape Plan

20-21) - Snowing, Brand New, Cerce, M.I.A., Title Fight, Norma Jean

Those don't really make sense by genre, but those were probably the biggest bands by the years (roughly)

I still listen to almost all of them.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 10, 2013,
Started off with 90's pop, ended up with classic rock, then popular heavier stuff like Metallica and Nirvana, then more popular metal like a7x and guitar hero songs then funkier stuff like Rhcp living color then jazz big band and freeform and then classical then electronic somewhere in between and throw guitar instrumentalists in there then progressive metal in there then some hipster music and then fill the cracks with psychedelic and experimental.
When I was a kid I didn't really like music because all the music I knew was hip-hop, rap, pop and stuff like that, but I forced myself to listen to it and today I have a (small) appreciation for some of that stuff. But I still didn't like it, until this "metal" guy got in my class and I gave it a listen. Finally I found out that I liked music. The end.
And the first memory I have of owning music was of an ABBA tape when I was a kid.

Now I like Heavy, Thrash and Industrial Metal, some rap (some Eminem), some pop (Pink (wowza)) and this one band Deolinda.
Progressive metal
(Some) metalcore
Djent
Electronic

Uhhh I guess some bands would be

Protest the Hero
Meshuggah
Karnivool
Tool
The Fall of Troy
Between the Buried and Me
Gojira
Opeth
Pretty Lights
Bassnectar
Daft punk
Comaduster
Ihsahn
In Flames
Periphery
Safety Fire

Shit like that
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Oct 10, 2013,
0-7 Spice Girls (hmu if ginger spice was ur fav)
7-13 Linkin Park, Slipknot, fuck off mum i don't to go to school sort of music
13-16 Cradle of filth, Dimmu Burgery, In Flames, standard sort of dickhead metal (note that I was a true dickhead during this phase)
16-19 Protest the Hero, Meshuggah, Gojira, prog metal (also a dickhead but of a different variety)
19-22 more or less everything, but mostly chilled out edm (think Bonobo, Submotion Orchestra or Phaeleh), the wtf side of edm (e.g. Venetian Snares), modern jazz (Esperanza Spalding, James Tormé, popular experimental stuff (Björk), university type experimental music (totally unfriendly to normal human ears), modern prog (Oceansize etc) and a specific sort of pop punk (the Four Year Strong/Chunk/Dananananaykroyd type)
Also I really love Lemuria.
There's tons of other stuff but that's the gist of it. At the moment I'm also really into Chiodos and this icelandic cellist called Hildur Gudnadottir. I'll give anything a go really.

The transition between the last two stages was quite sudden really. At 18ish I started getting into the more metaltwat-accessible sorts of edm like dnb and dubstep, which kinda eventually led into more esoteric idm sort of stuff. A mate also introduced me to jazz around then and my mind opened exponentially from there. I also had a brief post rock phase at 20 but it didn't really last long.

Note that also my interest in music is academic as well as the normal sort of enjoyment people derive from music. What I mean is that I often listen to music that doesn't really appeal to me overall sonically, but I can either find specific things in it that interest me or I like to think about how it was composed or some interesting concept (this is very much the case for the university sort of experimental music).

How's that for a wall of text?
Last edited by captainsnazz at Oct 10, 2013,
I've started getting into Hardcore and its subgenres lately. My taste in Metal hasn't really changed; I just keep discovering new bands. I've also really gotten into Post-Metal.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 10, 2013,
I like

Alternative rock (Radiohead, Brand New, Wavves, Queens of the Stone Age, late 80s/early 90s stuff like My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr., Jesus And The Mary Chain, Pixies, Sunny Day Real Estate)

Indie Rock (The Pillows, The Unicorns, Idiot Pilot, Tegan and Sara, Giant Drag, Passion Pit, Deathcab for Cutie)

Punk (Black Flag, Misfits, Minor Threat, Fugazi, I guess Joy Division counts as punk, somehow... Dangers, Rise Against)

Metal (Stuff from various subgenres; Blackened Death like Behemoth, Whatever the **** Celtic Frost is, progressive metal like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Periphery, Sikth, Opeth, Coheed and Cambria, and Mastodon; Mathcore like The Dillinger Escape Plan, Every Time I Die; Other interest include Iron Maiden, Metallica, Vildhjarta, Norma Jean, The Ocean, Isis, Bring Me The Horizon ((**** you, Sempiternal is awesome)) The Sword, Boris, Cloudkicker, Jesu, Crossfaith, Dir en Grey, Pet the Preacher, Acid King)

Math rock (The Fall of Troy, Minus the Bear, Botch)

Post-rock (Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ros, Oceansize, Godspeed! You Black Emperor, World's End Girlfriend, God is an Astronaut, Russian Circles, Red Sparrowes)

Top 40 stuff (Macklemore, Lorde, Mumford and Sons)

Hip hop (MF Doom, Eyedea, Fatlip, 2chains)

Electronica (Squarepusher, Boards of Canada, Aphex Twin, Baths, Daft Punk, Skrillex, Sufjan Steven's Age of Adz, Bansheebeat)

Celtic punk (Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys)

Jazz (Miles Davis, Badbadnotgood, Charles Mingus)

Oh and David Bowie, and Pink Floyd.

This is by no means a comprehensive list

I suppose the tale begins with Michael Jackson and Judas Priest, because apparently thats what I liked to listen to when I was a toddler. Thus began my ****ed up taste in music.

99-2000 (9 or ten years old)- Radio disney, N-Sync, Aaron Carter
2001-2004 (10 to 13 years old)- Linkin Park, Evanescence, Slipknot, Lamb of God
2005-2007 Indie rock discovered such as The Pillows; Listened to The Bends by Radiohead and have been a fan since; Largely the same taste but even more muddled now, with the metal that i listened to becoming actual metal
2006-2009 Largely no change, except Deftones became a very big part of my listening experience in 2009, hence my username. Not to mention Protest the Hero, Meshuggah
2010-present (22 years old) A lot of esoteric post rock, electronica, unabashed fondness for generic metalcore, and when I got better at playing guitar my varied influences started to show. Still lots of Radiohead.
Last edited by btones at Oct 10, 2013,
10 - Garage rock, Killers, stuff like that
11 - Urban music, kanye, akon
12 - Southern Rap aka the shit rap
12 1/2 - Nu-Metal
13 - System of a Down
14 - Muse, Radiohead
15 - All forms of stoner rock

there's some other stuff in there too but that's the gist of it all
heady jam bands and progressive jam bands.

heavy on the improv.

check out frank zappa, the grateful dead, umphrey's mcgee, phish, string cheese incident.

I also quite enjoy math rock.
I won't slave for beggars pay, likewise gold and jewels. But I would slave to learn the way, to sink your ship of fools.
?-11: Linkin Park, Eminem, DMX, D12, Backstreet Boys
12-13: The Descendants, Dead Kennedys, Green Day, The Offspring, Metallica, Megadeth, Breaking Benjamin, Avenged Sevenfold
13-16: Soundgarden, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Opeth, The Melvins, Aphex Twin, all the other grunge/Mike Patton stuff, Radiohead, Tool
17-19: Protest the Hero, The Fall of Troy, Portishead, Massive Attack, Battles, The Mars Volta, At the Drive In, TV on the Radio, The Dillinger Escape Plan
20: Portugal. The Man, Circa Survive, Brand New, Port Noir, Moving Mountains, Closure in Moscow, The Sound of Animals Fighting, Dog Fashion Disco, Every Time I Die

There are a ton of bands I left out to avoid over listing, but there is a general list. I dont really listen to anything from the first two groups still. I still like all the bands I liked in the 13-16 age range. Honestly, most of the bands I found out during that time are my favorites. Soundgarden being the big one, obviously.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I've started getting into Hardcore and its subgenres lately. My taste in Metal hasn't really changed; I just keep discovering new bands. I've also really gotten into Post-Metal.

Isis is pretty damn amazing
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
Isis is pretty damn amazing

And Cult of Luna, Neurosis, and Pelican. Lots of good Post-Metal on bandcamp too.
weird/emotional stuff is cool
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Got into rock/metal through Bullet for my valentine, lostprophets, avenged sevenfold, mastodon etc via Need For Speed.

After that like 14-15 I was a metalcore/Deathcore kid with bands like Enter Shikari, trivium, Bullet, BMTH, KSE, Job for a cowboy, The Black Dahlia Murder etc.

Then around 16 I got into Opeth and then completely went prog-rock:
I listened to prog metal too like PTH, BTBAM etc but mainly bands like Camel, King Crimson, Caravan, ELP, Genesis and so on.
17-18 I discovered Periphery and then djent and now its mainly the type of metal I listen to but I still listen to most of the music I used to at some point, just not as frequently. Also love my British post-hardcore/Alt rock like Mallory Knox, Don Broco, Lower Than Atlantis etc

Also got into acoustic stuff like city and colour and so on.

Been through tons of phases in between mind like melodeath, thrash, grindcore, Shred etc like most 'metal kids'.

Now I'm 19 and listen to most of the above at some point but mainly djent, house/rave/dance, prog-rock, 90's WC rap, grime, prog-metal, BRITISH dubstep (not US Skrillex crap), post-hardcore/alt rock or just whatever I feel like really, I'm not bothered about being a genre wannabe and sticking to one genre.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How do you prepare tea?

Quote by theogonia777
thrown into the boston harbor

Quote by Crofty89
Only if you boil the ocean first

JUST BOUGHT SIKTH DEATH OF A DEAD DAY ALBUM FROM THE US AND IT CAME WITH THE 6 YEAR OLD SIGNED POSTER (30/4/12) WIN