Page 1 of 2
ggoldhagen24
111 IQ
What do you think are the best metal riffs. This DOES include thrash metal, as i expect that to be a big point of contention.
My favorites (not the best):
Walk (Pantera)
Master of Puppets (Metallica)
Creeping Death (Metallica)
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due (Megadeth
Angel of Death (Slayer)
Hallowed be Thy Name (Iron Maiden)
What are your favorites/which ones do you think are the best?
Phill-Rock
UG's Scheming Ruffian
1,575 IQ
What?! Thrash metal is clearly not included in metal. It's obviously some sort of ambient jazz.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
darkstar2466
Fly, you fools
1,145 IQ
Quote by Phill-Rock
What?! Thrash metal is clearly not included in metal. It's obviously some sort of ambient jazz.

Not to be a subgenre picker, but Thrash Metal is definitely Psuedo-Ambient Black Jazz.

Long time, Phill. Hope all is well with you.

Satan's Siege Mentality is a heavy contender for best riff of the year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfzoJxh9HWY&list=PLobSZUtGdqCHIWuTI3wV8YqVUgw3B4-RL
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Oct 10, 2013,
ggoldhagen24
111 IQ
The Thrash Metal point was sarcasm, obviously. Both of those riffs are pretty awesome and I'd never heard them before. Thanks!
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->
1,408 IQ
Are you sure the title of this thread wasn't meant to be "Best Entry Level Metal Riffs"?
The Wildchild
COME TO INDONESIA!!!!!!!!
3,282 IQ
Oh look a Celtic Frost thread
lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
KerNeL_KLuTcH
A Meanness In This World
3,638 IQ
Every Sabbath riff on the first 6 albums.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
Brocas Helm
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->
1,408 IQ
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
Every Sabbath riff on the first 6 albums.

Yep
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?
1,468 IQ
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
Candlemass - Solitude /thread

Oh yes.

The opening riff from Venom - Don't Burn the Witch

Corporeal Jigsore Quandary, Painkiller, Fall from Grace, The Hall of The Mountain King

too many great ones to choose from really.
StefanWylde
559 IQ
I'm surprised that only 1 guy mentioned Black Sabbath.. The origin of heavy metal. Anyways, my favorite metal riffs:
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Paranoid, Loner, Age of Reason, Iron Man, Sweet Leaf, Crazy Train, Bark at the Moon, Suicide Solution... Then there's The Trooper by Iron Maiden, Electric Eye by Judas Priest, Dreams in the Dark and Winter's Call by Balands, Highway Star by Deep Purple, Burn (the Whitesnake version).. I can keep going on and on.. but there's no point. Tony Iommi is the master of riffs, elegant yet very simple.
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned
1,401 IQ
Quote by StefanWylde
I'm surprised that only 1 guy mentioned Black Sabbath.. The origin of heavy metal. Anyways, my favorite metal riffs:
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Paranoid, Loner, Age of Reason, Iron Man, Sweet Leaf, Crazy Train, Bark at the Moon, Suicide Solution... Then there's The Trooper by Iron Maiden, Electric Eye by Judas Priest, Dreams in the Dark and Winter's Call by Balands, Highway Star by Deep Purple, Burn (the Whitesnake version).. I can keep going on and on.. but there's no point. Tony Iommi is the master of riffs, elegant yet very simple.

I'm pretty sure most of us are completely over sabbath though we acknowledge their contributions to metal music, they are in no way the end all be all to riffage.
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf
1,561 IQ
because not everyone is always going to worship every single thing everyone deems classic; as he says I acknowledge their achievements and what not but there are a whole bunch of artists I'd rather listen to TBH
StefanWylde
559 IQ
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
I'm pretty sure most of us are completely over sabbath though we acknowledge their contributions to metal music, they are in no way the end all be all to riffage.

Most of you are completely over Sabbath? Were you ever into Sabbath? Usually what happens is, you start with something commercial like Metallica, and then find your way to Sabbath, not vice versa. You know, they say... "People listen to Metallica because it's the only metal they know about, people listen to Black Sabbath because they know all about metal."
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf
1,561 IQ
most people old enough in the 70s and 80s are into Sabbath and every other classic band
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->
1,408 IQ
Quote by Kytokinesis
Sabbath is pretty entry level too

**** that, Sabbath is EVERY level. Saying Sabbath is entry level is like saying Einstein For Dummies. I dig me some underground shit too, but Sabbath is undeniable. They laid the foundation of which every metal band has built upon.

And for all the crap Metallica gets, they're right up there too. ....AJFA is a goddamn masterpiece by almost any standard... except how to properly record bass.
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned
1,401 IQ
Quote by StefanWylde
people listen to Black Sabbath because they know all about metal."

Dumbest shit I've heard in a while. I suppose people who listen to Sabbath frequently and worship them have expansive knowledge about metal huh? Most people I've met that worship Sabbath are very narrow minded and only listen to 70's ass rock and 80's glam fag bands.
StefanWylde
559 IQ
Quote by BL1NDSIDE-J
Dumbest shit I've heard in a while. I suppose people who listen to Sabbath frequently and worship them have expansive knowledge about metal huh? Most people I've met that worship Sabbath are very narrow minded and only listen to 70's ass rock and 80's glam fag bands.

And what are you Mr. Broad-minded? Most people I've met that worship Electric Wizard are fags that also like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->
1,408 IQ
Quote by StefanWylde
And what are you Mr. Broad-minded? Most people I've met that worship Electric Wizard are fags that also like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Now DuncanGsus will be in here & shut this thread down.
It's for the best though...
EqualOfHeaven
The Great Sage
195 IQ
Quote by The Wildchild
Oh look a Celtic Frost thread

I wouldn't say CF do the best riffs in metal. I'd say they do the best riffs in any genre ever.

This thread was doomed from the start, dw though it's all over, you can go home now.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned
1,401 IQ
Quote by StefanWylde

Man you really read me like a book on that one! Do you have a booth at the circus with three nipples? *Goes back to listening to Miley Cyrus*
N3WW4V3N1NJ4
Rockin' With Dokken!
2,014 IQ
Amon Amarth - Twilight Of The Thunder God
Metallica - Battery
Iron Maiden - Flight Of Icarus
Tool - Schism
Slayer - Raining Blood
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Black Sabbath - Symptom Of The Universe
Black Label Society - Stillborn