Poll: Does this make any sense?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does this make any sense?
You idiot, never date a friend's ex. It's like a commandment
17 21%
Your friends are strange, that makes no sense. Woman aren't slaves
63 79%
Voters: 80.
Page 1 of 2
So Friend A and Girl date for about a month, then broke it off with her because he didn't like her like that. Then Friend B and Girl start going out, and suddenly everyone I know is rallying behind A proclaiming that B is a scumbag for dating his friend's ex-girlfriend. Friend A says that B failed to ask for his permission, and that he would not have granted it.

I had no idea about this "rule" and it doesn't make any sense to me. Is it bad to date someone who has previously dated someone you know? It seems weird that a guy can control a woman like that even after they have no relation.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
It's a dick move if friend A cared for her a lot or still cares about her.

If neither is true, friend B may ask for permission out of politeness, but if A refuses he is a dick and B may do what he pleases.
Take one for the team man. You should date Friend A, so that all the attention goes to you, and Friend B can live a happy peaceful life.
Quote by bradulator
I don't understand any sort of drama at all. Like i've never really had to deal with any of that friendship drama other people have so when people tell me that they are fighting with their friend or something i'm just like "wut why how i don't understand why is something that big of a deal"

i agree brad
It would be kosher for friend B to give friend A a heads-up before making a move. I'd say that's reason enough to be annoyed with friend B, but not enough for everyone to make a big deal out of it.
Quote by Trowzaa
i agree brad

obviously the girl may date whomever she likes, but if friend A still has feelings for her, friend B should take that into consideration. that is if friend A and friend B are really good pals, otherwise the betrayal just ain't there. if you insist on getting involved, i'd advice you advice friend B to talk it out with friend A privately. he doesn't need his permission, women are not property, but in the interests of reducing tension communication is an a+ asset.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I consider this to be acceptable, and I have done so myself. Friend A didn't like it though, bad for him.
Quote by Thrill-house
It was 1 month and he didn't like her, tell "friend a" to stop being a dipshit.

This. TS, she wanted you from the get go and just used friend A to get to you.

Simple.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
It's a bit complicated cuz Friend A broke it off, right?

If Girl had broken it off with Friend A, Friend B would be obliged to have a talk with Friend A.

However, as Friend A clearly initiated termination of said dating with Girl, Friend B is not under any fault, as according to Bro Code 21.A.II.
It sounds like friend A is really mad because everyone's about to find out that friend B's penis is bigger than his.
If they where dating for a long time and/or he had feelings for her then yes, this is a dick move.

But...It was a month and he didn't like her, it's fine.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by TheChaz
It sounds like friend A is really mad because everyone's about to find out that friend B's penis is bigger than his.

This could actually be not that far from the truth.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
If they are good buddy's Friend B should have talked about it with Friend A at the start of the hassle.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
If Friend A "didn't like her like that" why does he even give a shit. He needs to stop being a knob.
Guy goes out with girl for short while and then breaks up with her because he doesn't like her.
Someone else then goes out with this now single girl that he didn't like.

HOW DARE THEY.
It's generally considered a courtesy to ask a guy if it's cool to ask a girl out if you know he likes her.

But this guy had already made it clear that he didn't like her.

No foul.

Game on.

Quote by braduearlier
I don't understand any sort of drama at all. Like i've never really had to deal with any of that friendship drama other people have so when people tell me that they are fighting with their friend or something i'm just like "wut why how i don't understand why is something that big of a deal"

Nailed it once again brad
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
It's generally considered a courtesy to ask a guy if it's cool to ask a girl out if you know he likes her.

No foul.

Game on.

This man knows whats up
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez

No foul.

Game on.

i watched that gif for way longer than i should have..

also, agreed. Friend A is just being a bitch
This is what's known colloquially in the adult world as 'high school bullshit'...

Unfortunately some people never outgrow it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
What does the girl have to say about this ? Does she care ?

Obviously it's her fault.
Quote by Lord_Doku
What does the girl have to say about this ? Does she care ?

Obviously it's her fault.

Silly you.

The girl doesn't get to have a say.

She must be quiet while the men are deciding.
You kids are obviously not versed in man code.

1. If your friend breaks up with a girl, there must be a mandatory 6 month waiting period as well as a written or verbal request for permission from said friend before it is okay to pursue said woman.

2. If the woman breaks up with your homie, she is off-limits for life, with few exceptions (she's actually a hooker, your friend tries to hook you up with her, etc.).

These are obviously more of guidelines than rules, but I did date a girl in college, break up with her, then find out a few months later that she and my previous roommate were now together. I played it cool, but I feel like it definitely soured the relationship between all three of us for a while.

And I'm still a bit suspicious of my friend now because he definitely saw me at least once doing sexual things to her. Like, did he see that then go into his room and masturbate wishing that it was him instead of me? I dunno. It just seemed really strange.
Last edited by archangels at Oct 11, 2013,
Quote by archangels
You kids are obviously not versed in man code.

never read a more contradictory sentence.
i don't know why i feel so dry
He didn't like her, and they were only together for a few weeks, so I see nothing wrong here. Had A actually had strong feelings for her, and was in a long serious relationship with her than yeah B would be the dick.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
So Friend A and Girl date for about a month, then broke it off with her because he didn't like her like that. Then Friend B and Girl start going out, and suddenly everyone I know is rallying behind A proclaiming that B is a scumbag for dating his friend's ex-girlfriend. Friend A says that B failed to ask for his permission, and that he would not have granted it.

I had no idea about this "rule" and it doesn't make any sense to me. Is it bad to date someone who has previously dated someone you know? It seems weird that a guy can control a woman like that even after they have no relation.

Id make sure Friend A wasnt lying.
If it had been a serious relationship then as a friend you would want to check to see what kind of waves you'd be making by bringing his ex back into his life in that way. But one month? Cmon, he's just being a dipshit.

edit

Unless of course she's a headcase and friend B shouldn't be dating her regardless.
Last edited by Godsmack_IV at Oct 11, 2013,
If he has no feelings for her, this shouldn't **** with them.

That said, you really dont understand the rule. Its shitty to date a mates exgf, especially when its recent. Its not to "control the girl"(wtf) its to spare your mate the turmoil. You're not a very good friend if you do this.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I believe you should tell Friend A to stop being so fucking dumb.

Quote by Zombee
That said, you really dont understand the rule. Its shitty to date a mates exgf, especially when its recent. Its not to "control the girl"(wtf) its to spare your mate the turmoil. You're not a very good friend if you do this.

Since they only dated for a month, and Friend A didn't like her like that...how does the rule apply? Friend A is being possessive of a girl he supposedly didn't even have feelings for. Therefore, A is being a douchebag here.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 11, 2013,
She's not his property, date who you want regardless of who they dated before you.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
It seems weird that a guy can control a woman like that even after they have no relation.

Well, a guy can't. For that matter, neither can a woman.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
Well, a guy can't. For that matter, neither can a woman.

I wouldn't say can't, more like shouldn't try to.
Page 1 of 2