I treated myself for my birthday. I was originally going to get a Marshall 1960, but the deal fell through, and the next day I happened to spot this on Craigslist. The price was great, and I snapped it up ASAP.

A bass case, but there isn't a bass inside. (It's not a baritone either). What could requite a bass case that is not a baritone? Hmm...

Ah yiss....

A mutha ****in' Firebird. And not just any FBird, an Epiphone Firebird VII. I've wanted one of these for a while, and the price and finish were right. I would love the Gibson version, but at literally 1/5 of the price, you can't complain too much.

When I first picked picked this thing up, I was instantly surprised - it is MUCH lighter than it looks. It was a very pleasant surprise, I was expecting a back-breaker.

Unplugged, it is very resonant and musical. Plugged in is... interesting. I have no idea what I was expecting, but it was surprising. I had exactly 0 experience with mini 'buckers before I got this, and they are a little strange. As strange as it may seem, they sound how they look. They sound like little humbuckers. That makes no sense, but at the same time it makes sense to me. They don't sound like single coils at all, and they aren't particularly low output either, but they sound kind of... small, for lack of a better word. There are no excessive lows or highs. They're pretty even and flat/neutral.

The ergonomics are a bit interesting. It's not exactly a flat slab like a LP, but it doesn't really have contours on the back either. That said, it's not at all uncomfortable against me like Les Pauls are. There are no edges that really cut into you like an LP does. It's kind of awkward to hold at first, the crook of your arm sort of goes around the waist indent on the top. It's not uncomfortable once you get your arm in the right position, but it can be if you try to force your arm somewhere else on the body.

The TOM itself is extremely nice - I have suspicion it might actually be aftermarket. It's just very smooth, very easy to adjust, seems like it transfers tone very well.

Right away a thing I noticed and liked about the vibrato bridge is that it allows for bending up and down. Many vintage style trems only go down. It's an interesting design, one I've honestly never seen before. It's like a fulcrum basically... hard to describe. We will have to wait and see how well it holds tune.

All in all I'm very excited to really break it in. I can see myself playing some serious sludge and drone on this bad boy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Nice one! HNGD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
damn thats a nice epi.

if i was you, i would wire some custom pull pots in there for coil tapping (so mini buckers sound good tapped?) and or 5 way switching for different combos of pickups.

i am guessing you can only use 1 of 3 three at a a time? you could mix middle bridge, middle neck, or neck / bridge.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
HNGD - i love firebirds.. and that's a classy firebird

i'm pretty sure the bridge is aftermarket, and that's probably a good thing. Epiphone bridges from around the time they were still making the firebird VIIs were usually the vintage style tune-o-matic with the retainer wire that rattles and buzzes (especially with the shallow break-angle needed for the tremolo) and doesn't hold the saddles in place securely enough for tremolo usage, causing them to slip and/or lift out of the sockets. the one you have there is more like a nashville style tune-o-matic and looks a lot more sturdy.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Epi bird club!!

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
That guitar is gorgeous! Congrats!!
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
One of my favorite designs from the house of Gibson/Epiphone. HNGD!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 11, 2013,
excellent
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Johnny Winter would be envious. HNGD! Enjoy it!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'm pretty sure that's the Maestro vibrato system. I have an actual '61 Gibson SG/LP Custom with the same vibrato system as your Firebird. I feel like its a floating Bigsby; you can raise or lower the pitch, but only slightly.

HNGD!
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Dat trem

Nice guitar. I almost had one similar to that before I got my Ibanez, but it was used and in much worse shape than that one seems to be.
"Social correctness has traditionally had nothing whatever to do with reason, logic, or physics. In fact, in England it is generally considered socially incorrect to know stuff or think about things."
-Douglas Adams

Quote by Steve Holt
Epi bird club!!

My first bass was an Epi Goth Thunderbird. It sounded good but it was heavy and neck heavy as all hell, and the neck joint sucked (block bolt on). Not fun to play/hold. Yours looks nice, is that one of the Pro versions or whatever?

Quote by Ippon
Sweet! That looks better than my Gibson.

The only thing it's missing is an ebony board. Even with a fresh coat of conditioner it doesn't really get black. That's the thing that really gets me about Epis and non Custom Gibsons.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ikey_
damn thats a nice epi.

if i was you, i would wire some custom pull pots in there for coil tapping (so mini buckers sound good tapped?) and or 5 way switching for different combos of pickups.

i am guessing you can only use 1 of 3 three at a a time? you could mix middle bridge, middle neck, or neck / bridge.

No, I actually love the switching system. The toggle works like a normal guitar - Bridge, Bridge+Neck or Neck. The middle pickup has it's own volume control which just blends in with whatever other configuration you're using.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X