So right now the Columbus day savings is 15%. Are they going to offer better coupons for black Friday for example? I'm really thinking of doing something unreasonable for an Epi ES-339 Pro (natural finish please) and I'm wondering if I should just go crazy now...
Quote by OliveG
So right now the Columbus day savings is 15%. Are they going to offer better coupons for black Friday for example? I'm really thinking of doing something unreasonable for an Epi ES-339 Pro (natural finish please) and I'm wondering if I should just go crazy now...

I just walk in and ask the manager for a discount, whether there's a holiday on or not. I got 20% off my JTV-89F in August. 15% just barely covers the sales tax in LA (I think it's 9.25% here and there).
Really? Just like that? :-D How do you bring it up?! "Hey, how much can you offer me on that one?" I'm guessing they might be more inclined if you're buying a $1,500 guitar than if you're going for a $399 one?
GC will almost always give you a 15% off. I think that's their standard gimmick, so getting it is easy. You might get more if you try hard, but I couldn't say.

Basically, just grab the guitar and ask if they'll give you the 15% off (or whatever the current sale happens to be). Worked for me every time.
as mentioned it's not that hard to get a discount but it does matter on what they give it. used gear is much tougher to get a discount on. certain guitars and amps are as well. basically just ask what they can do and hope for the best. as for waiting for "better deals" don't they will only budge so much on items and that's it regardless.
Does it depend on the price of the guitar you're looking at? What's the max you've been able to get?
Most I have ever shaved off a price was my PRS. store wanted $1999.99 I walked out of the store paying $1425. My pinnacle Jewish moment

Ben Franklin's picture can make people do some strange things.

This was not GC, at the time I bought mine GC wanted $1650+ for used ones
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 12, 2013,
Quote by OliveG
Does it depend on the price of the guitar you're looking at? What's the max you've been able to get?

price no not really. what it depends on is how good of a wholesale price they get and whether the manufacturer allows the item to be discounted past a certain point. there is a fair amount of price fixing from some makers. if the item is a popular one then don't expect much of a discount as they figure others will pay the asking price. if it's something that has been sitting then they are more willing to work with you.
I've have purchased 5 new guitars from GC here in Dallas. I asked for and received 20% off on each guitar just by asking. I ask by saying, "I usually have an email coupon for 20 off but I don't have one with me today, do I need to wait for another to be a mailed to make my purchase?" Each time without hesitation the salesman instantly replied, "sure we can give you 20%."

Good luck and have fun!

Btw the pricepoint and brands on each guitar varied wildly.
Starting prices:
Ibanez rg120: $199
Epiphone standard lp: $425
PRS swamp Ash: $2300
Great, thanks! It's like going to Blood Bath and Beyond then! :-D