What does that mean? I also read you can get a quack in a pick?

What the hell?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
When I hear the term 'honky' to describe the guitar sound, it usually means it has a really painful spike in 300hz. So usually, using an EQ, you'd reduce the amount of 300hz in a track then it'll sound much less artefact-ish.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
When I hear the term 'honky' to describe the guitar sound, it usually means it has a really painful spike in 300hz. So usually, using an EQ, you'd reduce the amount of 300hz in a track then it'll sound much less artefact-ish.

I'm sorry, 300hz? Does that mean roll off the treble?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
I've heard people refer to the SD JB as 'honky' a few times. I believe that refers to its upper mid spike.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
What does that mean? I also read you can get a quack in a pick?

What the hell?

When I hear the word honky in terms of tone I usually think of pronounced mid frequencies. Some people refer to the telecaster as twangy and honky. Seeing as how country bars are typically called honky-tonks

It doesn't necessarily mean that the high frequencies are rolled off, but more than the mid frequencies are stronger.
Honk is usually equated to a mid/upper-mid bump. The tone gets a nasally quality to it. Is desirable for some genres like funk. SRV's tone sometimes had some honkiness to it.
Honkey refers to a white pickup
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Honkey refers to a white pickup

EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."