I work as a waiter, and so i have to deal with chefs quite regularly, and as long as you do things right, things go fine. There are occasions though, where the chefs are needlessly rude, and most of the time i try not to take it personally and get on with it, but in the back of my mind, i think that they shouldn't be allowed to get away with being dicks towards waiters.

Do you think i should give back as much shit as i get? Or would that end with me losing my job? Has anyone else ever had this before?
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Drop used condoms in the food they're preparing while they're not looking, or hairs, or bugs or some shit. They'll soon get some flak themselves.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Try not to let it get to you. Whatever mistakes you might have made are done and the best you can do is try and carry on with what you're doing. Even if you're completely faultless, they're just frustrated. Being a chef is some hardcore shit man. I'd be snarky too.

Or, alternatively, just grab whatever they're cooking by the handle and throw it on 'em. You might not have a job but at least you'll get to hear a grown man scream like a girl. That's always fun.
Do whatever you want as long as you have other options outside of this job.

I have 2 part time jobs now. I don't get treated like shit at either but one is definitely a friendlier environment than the other; at the friendlier one it's really laid back while at the other one the only interaction I have with coworkers is flirting or asking questions; otherwise no one really talks to each other and some of them are quite mean to people in positions of lower social value. But if I don't get a job after uni I'll automatically be put on a manager in training program here so that's why I'm sticking with it for now.
cat
Quote by donender
I work as a waiter, and so i have to deal with chefs quite regularly, and as long as you do things right, things go fine.

So just make sure you do things right and everything'll be fine. Problem solved.

Oh, and talking back to the boss? That's not usualy under most people's definitions of 'doing things right' at work.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Oct 13, 2013,
Is this one of those unnecessarily rude chefs you have to deal with?

If it is, please do the world a favour and shoot him point blank between the eyes.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by LostLegion
You're at a lower position than the chef. So take it

While technically correct, remember that they're frickin chefs and waiters and none of them have any right to be rude because of status. I know a job's a job, but these are some of the shittiest jobs there are. It's like a McDonalds cashier being rude to the janitor. Dude, you're in the same bullshit place making around the same craptastic wage.

Now, if this is a world class restaurant and Gordon Ramsey is the chef, then I guess they have some right to be ass hats to servers, but judging from the fact that this is a UG thread, chances are OP is a kid or younger adult (20's) working in a shitty restaurant.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Just remember you're easily replaced within a few hours. I know it's a harsh truth, but that's the way it is. Chefs and whatever are different, it's unlikely they'll get kicked out and replaced in an instant, whereas waiters it's more or less anyone from the street (assuming you're not working in a up market place). By which I mean chefs are typically qualified, there's no waiter qualification far as I know.

People can be dicks, that's all there is to it.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
What do they do, specifically? It's hard to tell if they're out of line by that
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
A good chef knows he needs a team that can work well together in order to serve quality dishes.

Clearly, he's not a good chef.
Chefs often have a sense of superiority, because the restaurant revolves around their food. What they forget, though, is that waiters and waitresses are the people who create the environment, and are actually the people who keep customers coming back.

It would be good business practice to have employees switch roles for a day. Maybe not the most profitable, but it would most definitely increase the level of respect that one has for the other.

As far as what to do about it, I'd first judge the situation. Are they angry because of stress, or are they talking down due to your position? If it's the first, just shrug it off. Everyone gets a little bugged when under stress. If it's the latter, then you should definitely confront them about it. Not during work, but after. Potentially getting into an argument while working will slow down your production and get you both in trouble with the management.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
try to be nice and not **** up, and if things are unbearably bad then go tell your boss or something. and if your boss or whoever's in charge/will listen doesn't do anything, find another job.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
It's agency work. I probably would be easily replaced, but i do my job well, and i am well liked, and regardless of what people say about "social status", it's hard work, with some of the shifts being very long, and very strenuous, so while i realise it isn't something i would like to make into a career, it does not invalidate the fact that i work hard for my money. As for venues, because it's agency work, it's all over the place, but most places are very high standard, and very high pressure.

I rationalise it in my head that the chefs are under pressure, so they get pissy if something slows things down even by a few seconds, but there is a limit to how much i can give them the benefit of the doubt.

The situation that caused me to make this was during my shift yesterday; i was looking for something, and i went into the kitchen and asked the kitchen manager if it was in the kitchen, as i was in a rush, he just flat out said "no" so as i went to walk out, one of the chefs shouted out "of course it's not in here! it's never in here, use your ****ing head pal!", which annoyed me mostly because i wasn't even asking him, so it wasn't slowing his productivity down at all, but he just chose to be a dick. I just carried on walking out, as i had more important things to do, but i felt like i should have said something. Luckily, at this particular venue, the floor managers all know that the chefs are dicks, but unfortunately they can't really do anything about it.
WHOMP

Well then you could pull a Gus Fring and hire a hitman.

My bad. You could hire a guy who knows a guy.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by donender

The situation that caused me to make this was during my shift yesterday; i was looking for something, and i went into the kitchen and asked the kitchen manager if it was in the kitchen, as i was in a rush, he just flat out said "no" so as i went to walk out, one of the chefs shouted out "of course it's not in here! it's never in here, use your ****ing head pal!", which annoyed me mostly because i wasn't even asking him, so it wasn't slowing his productivity down at all, but he just chose to be a dick. I just carried on walking out, as i had more important things to do, but i felt like i should have said something. Luckily, at this particular venue, the floor managers all know that the chefs are dicks, but unfortunately they can't really do anything about it.

Most chefs will prob call out a waiter who walks into the kitchen with his head up his ass looking for something that's not there (and apparently never is).
Quote by AxeToFall
Most chefs will prob call out a waiter who walks into the kitchen with his head up his ass looking for something that's not there (and apparently never is).

A) There was a probability that it was there. There was a store cupboard with random stuff in it, the only reason why i didn't look myself was because it would have been quicker to ask the kitchen manager (not a chef) if he had instructed someone to put it in the cupboard.

B) I didn't ask the chef in question, so it was none of his concern.
WHOMP

Quote by AxeToFall

If he's in there asking for it, clearly he doesn't know where it is. Being a dickhead and saying "of course it's not in here, it never is" is just ridiculous because clearly he doesn't know that. If he did he wouldn't be in there. It might be obvious to a chef who knows the kitchen inside out, but for a waiter who just needs to grab something, it's not unreasonable they wouldn't know, and is pretty reasonable to quickly ask.

But yeah having worked in kitchens myself, I find chefs to often be stressy twats. Working in a kitchen is very rushed and stressful work though, so don't take it too much to heart. Chefs need to understand though that they're not the only people who are rushed and have a lot to do.
Find out where the chef lives, go there when he isn't home and waterboard his dog. It's the way most adults deal with tough situations in the workplace.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
You can stand up for yourself and protect your dignity at risk of losing your job or you can bend over and take it at risk of forever losing your soul.
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
Are they chefs or cooks? Idk if they make that distinction in the UK, but they do in the US. A chef would be someone who has been educated in a culinary school, but a cook could just be anyone. If they're just cooks off the street, give em shit back. If they're trained chefs.... Probably not a good idea.
If they're being rude to you specifically, it's probably you that's the problem.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by TheChaz
Are they chefs or cooks? Idk if they make that distinction in the UK, but they do in the US. A chef would be someone who has been educated in a culinary school, but a cook could just be anyone. If they're just cooks off the street, give em shit back. If they're trained chefs.... Probably not a good idea.

Most of the time that's true, but I knew a couple of sous chefs who had worked their way up from manager. They ALL have the tendency to be dicks, btw. I used to work for one of the Iron Chefs, and his team was intense. I got yelled at a lot, many times for things I didn't do, or didn't know I was supposed to know, etc.

In their defense, cooks and chefs work a crap ton of hours, typically have to go in early to do their prep work, and stay late for more prep work and cleanup. They typically work 60+ hours, and it's rarely better even for the Executive chef. Also, they've thrown their life into the kitchen, and if they are working in the kitchen, odds are they are dreaming up their own shop one day, or at the very least being the Exec at a nice restaurant, very few would put in the time and commitment otherwise.
It's stressful, and one mistake can send you packing. the Sous scrutinize every dish made, and I've seen plates literally thrown back at a cook for mess ups.

Also they hate ignorance, and feel if something should be known, you should know it. That being said, it depends one whose being a dick to you. One of the regular cooks on the line? Don't take it, though Sous can be protective of their little flock. If a Sous or Exec yells at you, basically suck it up, or you'll be out of a job.

eventually I had to get out of there. I can handle being yelled at by a drill sergeant, but a chef? No thank you.
Listen to minutemen.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Pee on them
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Most waiters deserve rudeness. The ones without much experience and training are terrible. Plus, they get all the tips. I can't tell you how many times I had to remake food because the dumbass waiter either got the order wrong or didn't take the food out of the window quickly enough.

I made bullshit minimum wage while the useless ****ing waiters got awesome tips and were lazy ****s who made our jobs harder. When the cooks have to actually leave the kitchen on the daily because of the ineptitude of the waiting staff, the waiters all deserve rudeness. And to be fired.
Quote by donender
I work as a waiter, and so i have to deal with chefs quite regularly, and as long as you do things right, things go fine. There are occasions though, where the chefs are needlessly rude, and most of the time i try not to take it personally and get on with it, but in the back of my mind, i think that they shouldn't be allowed to get away with being dicks towards waiters.

Do you think i should give back as much shit as i get? Or would that end with me losing my job? Has anyone else ever had this before?

Read this and quit being a whimp:

http://hitthewoodline.com/patriotica/2013/10/12/dont-be-an-asshole-1
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Oct 12, 2013,
that url isn't working dread
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do