Hello, first of all I'm new to ultimate guitar so hi everyone!

Anyway, I've been using my first guitar and amp for about 2 and a half years now, and I think it's time for an upgrade. My budget is 2000$ for both the guitar and the amp.

I mostly play old school thrash, hard rock, classic rock and some blues.

Anyway as for the guitar:

Any metal-ly body shape is fine as long as it looks cool and doesn't look like it belongs in a church band (les paul,superstrat,v,explorer, as well as any other bodyshapes that are based on those)

HH pickup configuration. Pickups themselves don't matter that much since I'm probably going to change them. Coil splitting would be nice.

Locking tremolo system (floyd rose, kahler, as long as it stays in tune i'm happy though I have tried both floyds and kahlers and i prefer the feel of a kahler)

Thin neck ( i played a les paul once can't remember what model and it had a huge baseball bat neck that I hated, though my friend loved it)

Ebony/maple fretboard (though rosewood is still fine i guess)

Natural or some solid finish, I don't like other transparent finishes

I don't know much about amps so just recommend some reasonably priced amps that would do thrash and cleans well.

I guess that's it, and thanks to everyone that helps.
Quote by AgonHoxha
Hello, first of all I'm new to ultimate guitar so hi everyone!

And hi back.

Aside from the usual manufacturers that show up in, say, Guitar Denter, here are a couple that are worth looking at:

Carvin. Guitars are custom ordered to your specs. Lots of body designs, headstock designs, tons of woods, acres of options. You can easily go into $2K and more, but if you can select your options judiciously, you can stay reasonable.

Rondo Music. The Agile series of guitars has a wide range of what you're looking for, but the website is old looking and cranky and the guitars are listed there only as they come into stock. It's a small operation that essentially pulls guitars out of a shipping container and lists them in the order that they come out. Prices and quality on the Agiles reflect the fact that they've eliminated the whole "brick and mortar" store, and that they only have a presence in that website and on eBay. Customer service is good, quality outstanding. Semi-custom guitars are also available!

Variax. The new JTV series is really outstanding. I vacillated between a JTV 59 and a JTV 89 for a long time but finally settled on the JTV 89F (Floyd). Even without the modelng components, the 89F meets and exceeds your wishlist. The neck is on the money -- relatively wide/thin with a 16" radius, jumbo frets, 25.5" scale, matte finish on the back of the neck. Body is comfortable to play, standing or sitting, weight is reasonable, pickups are designed for metal, Floyd is extremely high quality. Add in the ability to model 25 or so other guitars (imagine playing P90's without the noise), including the 89F itself. Now add in the ability to switch to almost any drop tuning without changing the string tension. And you still have a Floyd. Can't duplicate that on any other guitar I know of. Try to get one fresh in a box. I talked my local Guitar Splinter manager into a 20% discount, so I was out the door for around $1300. What was on my wishlist that didn't happen: I wish it were neck-through instead of bolt neck. It has a rosewood fretboard (though a surprisingly smooth one), and I prefer ebony. Other than that, surprisingly awesome guitar.
Used PRS CE24/Swamp Ash special (the trem is non-locking, but stays in tune incredibly well)
Mesa Mark III combo

www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear normally has a great selection and good prices
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ibanez or BC Rich provide guitars that meet your specs (kahler is tough though). perhaps a Kerry King warlock and a Peavey 6505. a "cool" looking guitar really should be the first consideration as feel and sound are far more important.
EVH 5150 III 50watt $750
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-EVH-5150-III-50-WATT-HEAD-BLK-109503284-i3394230.gc

Avatar 2x12 cab with your choice of options + speakers $400 to $440
http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

Choice of guitar:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-C--Rich-Pro-X-Custom-Mockingbird-Electric-Guitar-H99195-i3203944.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-C--Rich-NJ-Deluxe-Warlock-Electric-Guitar-104812110-i1396014.gc

You can get discounts on new guitars from Guitar Center. I got 15% off my Warlock NJ Deluxe not too long ago.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 12, 2013,
Hmm...

For guitars, the usual suspects would be Ibanez, Schecter, and BC Rich. Beyond that, Fernandes (Vertigo, V-Hawk, Vortex or Vulcan) or DBZ (Cavallo, Bird of Prey) might be to your liking. Minarik has also found some love with certain metal guitarists.

On amps, I'd look at Orange, Blackstar, Black Heart, Jet City, or Egnater- my personal preference would be for a tube combo amp, but some bands' tone come from using SS amps.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 12, 2013,
2013 Gibson SG Standard. It looks like it would catch fire in a church and has 57 classics so it does classic rock really well. Also comes in ebony and white which aren't transparent and has a pretty thin neck.
If you are willing to buy used gear, get on guitar center and you can find a USED Synyster Gates Signature and A Marshall avt150 Valvestate head (be careful with it though because not everyone realizes the distortion is tube driven) and 2 Marshall avt Cabs way below your budget. I would then recommend you buy the Digitech RP255 and some good cables. You can achieve most any sound, especially within metal, and you probably will have less than 1500 dollars in the entire setup.
Quote by RaisingCain199
If you are willing to buy used gear, get on guitar center and you can find a USED Synyster Gates Signature and A Marshall avt150 Valvestate head (be careful with it though because not everyone realizes the distortion is tube driven) and 2 Marshall avt Cabs way below your budget. I would then recommend you buy the Digitech RP255 and some good cables. You can achieve most any sound, especially within metal, and you probably will have less than 1500 dollars in the entire setup.

This is one of the best post in a while on here

Seriously TS if you do this I'll have your mom beat you for being dumb
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get a Ceriatone amp - Marshall clones and an ESP Flying V, or an MIJ Tokai Love Rock. Get the guitar used.
Last edited by Gibson_LesPaul_ at Oct 13, 2013,
I own a Malden Bad Karma, which is one of their LP style guitars. Their Subhuman might be more to your liking.

http://maldenguitars.com/storeSubhuman.htm
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!