Hi.

These well be kinda.. newbie questions but how could I reach to mute a string when it's between the others that are played? (X in tab) Even, what's the best way not to strum a string when it's between two others? Like, in a diminished power chord. Your answers are appreciated.

Thank you
F.
If you want to play an octave, like

----
----
----
-7--
-x--
-5--

With your index finger that is pressing down the low E fifth fret. Usually you should fret the strings with the tips of your fingers but your index finger should be flatter, fret the string between the tip and flat of your finger and rest of the finger is slightly touching the other strings, muting them out. Even those that are not X out. Every string that is not played should be muted either with your index finger and/or fretting hand if humanly at all possible. All it takes is a slight touch.

With electric guitar and using lots of gain you have to have your index finger almost always like that (considered poor technique in classical/acoustic guitars) because otherwise you'll have lots of string noise. Learning to mute is important.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 12, 2013,
^ yeah, you get used to muting.

another option is kinda cheating and doing hybrid picking. I.e. pick the lower-pitched string with the pick and pick the higher-pitched string with your 2nd finger. I do that a lot, it's far handier for me
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?