So I'm trying to learn a self composed sweep picking bit (yeah, I use GP to write stuff cause im lazy )
Anyway, i'm getting these weird ass resonances which I can't seem to be able to mute.
If I play this-

|-----------14--------
|-------13----13-----
|---12-----------12--
|14-------------------
|----------------------
|----------------------

No matter what I do, it simply does not sound clean. Rather it sounds like I am not muting the un used strings at all.
However, if I play THIS

|-----------12--------
|-------11----11-----
|---10-----------10--
|12-------------------
|----------------------
|----------------------

or THIS

|-----------15--------
|-------14----14-----
|---13-----------13--
|15-------------------
|----------------------
|----------------------

It comes out perfectly clean.

I can play this shape anywhere else on the fretboard, and it comes out perfectly clean. The second I use the 14th fret on the 4th string as the root, boom, horrid resonances.

Any way I can fix this?
Ah yes. I had this problem too when i started doing sweep picking. The general solution to this problem ( and to any other muting problem really ), is to slow it down where you can play one note, mute it, play the next, mute it etc. If you do this at a really slow tempo you will be able to get rid of it completely, or find the reason why you are getting the un-wanted string noise (in most cases i've seen as a teacher it has to do with poor left hand muting).

Hope that helps you in any way, cheers.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
Ah yes. I had this problem too when i started doing sweep picking. The general solution to this problem ( and to any other muting problem really ), is to slow it down where you can play one note, mute it, play the next, mute it etc. If you do this at a really slow tempo you will be able to get rid of it completely, or find the reason why you are getting the un-wanted string noise (in most cases i've seen as a teacher it has to do with poor left hand muting).

Hope that helps you in any way, cheers.

That doesn't explain why it doesnt happen if I play the same shape one fret higher or one fret lower?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
That doesn't explain why it doesnt happen if I play the same shape one fret higher or one fret lower?

There is not much we can say without a video of you playing both things with both your fretting hand and picking hand in frame so we can examine it. We can only do so much with the information you have given us.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by GS LEAD 5

Agreed.

If it's happening at a specific fret it normally means there's something wrong with the instrument- maybe a slight adjustment to the action, or a slight truss rod tweak, might sort it. Hopefully it's not a high fret.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes and also be sure not to fret a natural harmonic when you intend to mute.
Let me guess, standard tuning?

Mute your lowest string. My bet is when you play that shape, the note on the 14th fret is making the lowest string ring out its fourth harmonic in sympathy as they're the exact same note.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221