Ok so me and my friends are starting a band... we have 2 guitars, drums, bass and today we found a singer... he is nothing special but at least he sings xD... so the problem is that we dont know anything about microphones lol, so can anyone help me please !!!

1. What microphone do we need to get, dynamic or condenser, we will play in the basement, punk rock kind of music...

2. Do both dynamic and condenser need amp or something ?

3. Does the microphone amp have to be strong as the guitar amp (because we would like to hear him as we play drums, guitar and bass xD) ?

If something else is also important in buying a microphone please reply !
You need some kind of PA system for the vocals. You could sing through an amp but it may not cut. I can't recommend any I'm afraid, vocals are not my area of knowledge.

For a mic get an SM58. Durable, affordable, and the industry standard for vocals.

EDIT: You will still be looking at a couple of hundred quid for this, if the guy is "nothing special" it may not be worth spending money on anything decent.
Last edited by Random3 at Oct 12, 2013,
Definitely an SM58 for the mic if it's going to be used live. They're practically indestructable! Condenser mics are more for recording really.

A half decent PA can be had fairly cheap used on ebay, and I'd disagree with Random3's comment about it not being worth spending the money: If you're serious about being in a band, the band will definitely need a PA. If the singer is nothing special, it doesn't make sense for him to buy one, but when you find a singer that is special he's going to need something to use - if you want it to be your band, you should invest in the required equipment.

The Pit isn't really the right forum for this thread though, you may want to consider moving it somewhere more appropriate.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Ok so we are going to buy shure sm58... now does it need some kind of a special amp or can i connect it anywhere ?
You can connect it to a guitar amp, but a proper PA would be preferable.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by markoizjaske
Ok so we are going to buy shure sm58... now does it need some kind of a special amp or can i connect it anywhere ?

I have SM57 and i connect it to my computer directly with a USB interface device. It's basically a XLR to USB converter with preamp. It works fine for me.
Oh sorry i didnt know what is a PA system until i looked for it on internet xD (im from Croatia) anyway so after i buy shure sm58 we have to buy a PA system that supports XLR cable ?
You connect the SM58 to a PA, then the PA connects to the speakers.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud