So this seemed like the best section to post. I'm trying to create chords for a song called Mason's Revenge (which has no chords tab or any covers that I can take them from). Just playing the power chords doesn't sound very good with the song.

I've figured out the key (98% sure that it is F major) and the basic chord progression for the verse ( b power chord -> c power chord -> a power chord -> b power chord is what is actually played by the rhythm guitar I think, so it's IV V iii basically), but that sounds terrible with singing (much too low). I tried playing the normal b, c, and a chords, but that sounded even worse. I tried variations, but I'm not really getting anywhere. I don't know if I should change the key or what.. There has to be some method behind what people do when they write guitar chords to cover songs with or post the chords. I'm looking for some advice on the general process. Thanks.
I'm confused. This song exists. There's a performance you're trying to get the chords from? Could you share a link with us?
No, there is no performance. I'm not trying to figure out chords; there is no acoustic version for the song with chords. I'm trying to do an acoustic version and pick chords to go along with it. I know the chord progression but am having trouble getting it to sound right still. So I guess I'm asking how to make an acoustic version of a song with that information. I don't know.. I just might have to keep messing around with chords until it sounds okay.
f you are playing B power chords, its probably not in F major. When you figure out the key, try playing diatonic chords over where the power chords would be. If you are in C and come across a G power chord, you could pick a G major chord over it. If you came across an A power chord, it would be a minor chord. Power chords are just a root note with a fifth, they are not major or minor until you add the third to them
I understand power chords and keys. I meant Bb (sorry x.x). Again, I'm 98% (virtually 100%) sure that it's in F... the only flat/sharp is Bb so the notes are what they would be in f. F sounds like tonic... the song ends on F and the for the beginning, the guitar is an arpeggiated F major chord (I64 played backwards).

So yeah I tried playing a Bb major, c major, a minor, etc. but it doesn't go well together. I'm still experimenting.. now doing a Bb power chord then normal c major and a minor.. sound a bit better, but still not that great in my opinion. I've just noticed a lot of weird chords in some chord tabs and was wondering how people come up with stuff.
In F major you'd be playing a Bb power chord not B, if the power chords are B C A, then the key is either C or G. Try playing an F and F# power chord (or note) and see which one fits better, if F fits better then it's in the key of C, if F# fits better it's in the key of G.

edit: you cleared that up so I guess my post is sorta useless
Last edited by Br0c00ler at Oct 13, 2013,
Quote by anglic_sedition
I understand power chords and keys. I meant Bb (sorry x.x). Again, I'm 98% (virtually 100%) sure that it's in F... the only flat/sharp is Bb so the notes are what they would be in f. F sounds like tonic... the song ends on F and the for the beginning, the guitar is an arpeggiated F major chord (I64 played backwards).

If there's an F there, you're not telling us the full story.

What is the chord progression? The entire progression.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Also just to make it a bit clearer, instead of calling it a power chord every time you can just call it by its name which is eg. a Bb5 chord or a C5 etc.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Is this the song you are talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKTe5Peyaf4

And it's Bb major, C major, A minor. Are you sure you are playing the Bb major chord correctly? (x 1 3 3 3 1) And are you in tune?

Oh, and the notes in the melody clash a bit with the Bb major chord (or they actually make it a Bbmaj9 chord) so that's why it sounds a bit strange. You could of course try replacing the Bb chord with a Bbsus2 (x 1 3 3 1 x) or a Bbmaj9 (x 1 3 2 1 x) chord (I wouldn't play the high E string because it doesn't sound that good IMO). It may sound a bit better because of the melody.

And you just need to train your ears. I wouldn't post a chord tab unless I'm sure the chords I figured out are correct. So if you want this site to have a chord tab for the song, request it if you can't do it by yourself. It's better to have no tabs than a bad tab (because a bad tab is just going to mislead people). I could maybe do it if you want.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 13, 2013,