Hey guys and gals!I just wanted to know which Gibson guitar besides explorer and flying v would be good for melodic death metal,black metal,thrash metal etc.I already have two Jacksons an I'm craving a Gibson right now.Would a Gibson sg do the trick?How about the les Paul's?Thanks for the help.
That's an interesting question. Is there really a difference in sound from the Les Paul vs the SG? I didn't know the SG was more metally sounding. Looks maybe, but does the body shape change the tone all that much?
the big problem with most gibsons for heavier stuff (at least the heavier stuff which you need tightness for) is that they have 24.75" scale lengths, which leads to less tension in the strings for any given string gauge and tuning, which leads to a warmer and less tight tone.

Now... it's pretty subtle. And plenty of metal players use Gibsons. But there you are.

I'm not sure there's that much difference between the (solid body) more usual gibson models for metal, but I could well be wrong. Well... the V and Explorer have higher output ceramic pickups, so out of the box they're probably more geared towards metal, to be fair.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?