Hey guys, I found this Gibson 90 Double (I think), and I'm trying to get it fixed up to sell. As you can see in the following pictures, it needs a lot of hardware but it appears to have all the original electronics. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find much information on this particular model at all, so I've come to your forums (Hi!) since I'm sure some of you could help me out.

Guitar isn't really my thing - I played bass for a while but I don't know the terms of the parts I need to buy to get this thing somewhat restored and back in playable condition. Thus far I've been told I need a 'Floyd' style bridge, but am unsure of what the names of other components are. I've been told this guitar isn't very valuable, but I'd like to get it back out there for someone to play and appreciate but need guidance. Would I be better off leaving the finish as-is or should I sand it down and spray it gloss black? Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. [forbidden link]
oops, sorry about dead link. imgur(dot)com(slash)Qf1Bvro,kWQHmZ2,NTlX5LD

Figured out how to add images. I know it's rough but I'm hoping it has some potential and someone could appreciate and play it eventually.
Attachments:
guitarfront.jpg
guitarback.jpg
Last edited by MStrickland1988 at Oct 13, 2013,
I'll help with the images.
http://i.imgur.com/Qf1Bvro.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kWQHmZ2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NTlX5LD.jpg

Yes, you need a Floyd Rose floating tremolo. Any chinese tinfloyd from ebay will do if you just want to get the guitar working for now and make sure its salvageable, but for actual quality tremolo you need Schaller or Gotoh made.

And the pot knobs are obvious. A really nice looking ones cost next to nothing on ebay.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 13, 2013,
You will need a FR bridge that has the same specs as an OFR (the FR Special would work)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by MaaZeus
I'll help with the images.
http://i.imgur.com/Qf1Bvro.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/kWQHmZ2.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/NTlX5LD.jpg

Yes, you need a Floyd Rose floating tremolo. Any chinese tinfloyd from ebay will do if you just want to get the guitar working for now and make sure its salvageable, but for actual quality tremolo you need Schaller or Gotoh made.

And the pot knobs are obvious. A really nice looking ones cost next to nothing on ebay.

Thanks for the advice. Will which pot knobs I use make any difference in value or is it just not there? I couldn't find a good picture to see what the originals were. I got it for free so I'm thinking about getting a Chinese bridge as they look fine in black and (hopefully) would do the job sufficiently.

I need to find what the back panel covers are called, what the thread things for the pots/switch are called and the nut seems to be wider than most guitars I've seen.
Quote by MStrickland1988
Thanks for the advice. Will which pot knobs I use make any difference in value or is it just not there? I couldn't find a good picture to see what the originals were. I got it for free so I'm thinking about getting a Chinese bridge as they look fine in black and (hopefully) would do the job sufficiently.

I need to find what the back panel covers are called, what the thread things for the pots/switch are called and the nut seems to be wider than most guitars I've seen.

Well with the knobs you will need the type that fits on CTS pots (USA demensions are slightly different) www.stewmac.com has them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Check out first what Floyd Rose Special kit costs before getting a chinese tinfloyd. They are better quality and not stupid expensive like Schaller OFR's are. Chinese licensed floyds are poor. They wear out fast and stop staying in tune when you use it.

This seems like interesting project. If you ask my opinion instead of all black hardware look for the black nickel/black chrome/cosmo black/whatever stuff, for little variety and not make the guitar look too black.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 13, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Check out first what Floyd Rose Special kit costs before getting a chinese tinfloyd. They are better quality and not stupid expensive like Schaller OFR's are. Chinese licensed floyds are poor. They wear out fast and stop staying in tune when you use it.

This seems like interesting project. If you ask my opinion instead of all black hardware look for the black nickel/black chrome/cosmo black/whatever stuff, for little variety and not make the guitar look too black.

Will do. So I've determined that I need 3x 3/8" 32 thread nuts, a (tall?) black humbucker cover, 2 black speed knobs, a rectangular tremolo backplate, and some long oval plate for the pots that I can't find.

Assuming I were to pay extra for the Floyd Rose special bridge, any idea what this thing could be worth with all the hardware and not repainted? The neck is dead straight if that matter. I'd like to use nicer parts for fixing it up but if it's going to be a $250 guitar when completed that would seem not worth it. Selling this may be an issue when done, it'll definitely be a players guitar but this particular model is apparently not very popular at all. Really I have no idea what the ballpark value is.
Its a Gibson and if it plays nice, I'd say $400-$600 only because the finish looks pretty wrecked

Don't forget the control cavity cover and the spring cavity cover
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you are going to sell it, at least put some decent parts on it and not the cheapest you can find. Many people don't want a guitar with a cheap Floyd Rose. So at least buy a decent Floyd and it will be a lot easier to sell, and you'll also make more profit. Even if you could make a bit more money by using cheaper parts, people won't buy it so easily. Quality parts attract a lot more people - or cheap parts turn more people off.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
If you are going to sell it, at least put some decent parts on it and not the cheapest you can find. Many people don't want a guitar with a cheap Floyd Rose. So at least buy a decent Floyd and it will be a lot easier to sell, and you'll also make more profit. Even if you could make a bit more money by using cheaper parts, people won't buy it so easily. Quality parts attract a lot more people - or cheap parts turn more people off.

That is true. I only mentioned the cheap floyds just to make sure the guitar is fine and playable, not as permanent solution. People looking for Gibsons know the quality of floyd is important and if they see a cheapass tinfloyd in one they may give the guitar a pass.

BTW, am I the only one who likes the battle scarred finish as it is? A good clean up and hardware overhaul and its ready to Thrash!

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
BTW, am I the only one who likes the battle scarred finish as it is? A good clean up and hardware overhaul and its ready to Thrash!

i think matte black would be the way to go on this one. lose all the gloss.

so basically hit the entire guitar with like, 2000 grit or steel wool.
I'd rather buy as-is and put my own hardware on it. Might want to try to go that route. (or shoot me a pm)
If It Were Me...

I'd probably strip the guitar, clean up the dings and repaint it, but I wouldn't just rattle can it and leave the orange peel.

The Floyd Rose can be a decent Korean version; the "OFR" that Gibson's been using is actually Korean made anyway.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Alright, so I'm at least going with a Floyd Rose Special, rest of the stuff I've found is pretty cheap as far as knobs and tremolo cover. Still can't find what that long oval cover on the back is called, though.
^ Control cavity cover.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
The control cover looks like the type that is put on Telecasters

You may want to look on Ebay for a good used OFR, I'm sure the original was an OFR.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate