Hello there,

I need your help. What I would like to do is hear myself playing through the amp and record it on my computer at the same time. I am pretty sure I can do it but I am not sure how.

My amp is a Blackstar Ht Metal 5. On its rear panel there are : Speaker Emuated Output & Headphones, Cabinet Switch, Effects Loop Send, Effects Loop Return, Effects Loop Level (+4dBV/-10dBV), MP3/Line Input).

I am also using a POD X3.

What I tried is this :

Guitar -> Amp Input -> Effects Loop Send -> POD X3 Input -> Computer through USB -> Audacity

I can hear myself through the amp but what I get in Audacity is a super weak signal. Another problem is that I can also hear myself through the speakers (of my computer) while I'm playing.

I am pretty sure I can get better results. Can you enlighten me?

Thanks!
Why do you connect your amp and POD that way?

If you can't hear what you have recorded in Audacity, go to EDIT and choose Preferences. Than choose Recording and there you can enable overdub, which will let you hear previously recorded tracks while playing and recording new one.
I am not saying it is the right way to connect the amp and POD. There is apparently something wrong and I want to know what it is.

Thank you for the suggestion in Audacity but it is not what I am looking for. I would like to send the signal from my guitar into my amp and my computer at the same time.
Buy a Shure SM-57 and a short amp mic stand. Plug the 57 into your POD and mic the cab. By using the Send, you're missing all the coloring your amp provides. You might as well plug your guitar directly into the pod, if that's how you're doing it.
I will recommend you move away from Audacity and on to Reaper, simply because it's free like Audacity, but it will do what you want easily (not to mention it's a much more professional workflow.)

Here's how I think what you're describing would work: (as long as using the Cabinet Emulating Output doesn't silence the amp's speaker)
Guitar > Amp input > Cabinet Emulating Output > POD X3 > Reaper (where you have the signal from the HT5 running into a recording track with record monitoring off, so you can't hear what you're recording through your computer's speakers)
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
@JackovSlayer : Yes I do because if not I don't get any signal.

@KG6_Steven : I would certainly get better results by mic'ing my amp, but it's not the matter here. Thank you for the suggestion though, I might get one in the future.

Quote by bassmastamitch
I will recommend you move away from Audacity and on to Reaper, simply because it's free like Audacity, but it will do what you want easily (not to mention it's a much more professional workflow.)

Here's how I think what you're describing would work: (as long as using the Cabinet Emulating Output doesn't silence the amp's speaker)
Guitar > Amp input > Cabinet Emulating Output > POD X3 > Reaper (where you have the signal from the HT5 running into a recording track with record monitoring off, so you can't hear what you're recording through your computer's speakers)

This seems to be working fine and when I'm using the Speaker Emulated Output it doesn't silence the amp's speaker which is good.

However, I might get new cables because I get some noise (I get noise even when I am just using the amp Input, so I guess the noise is either coming from the cable or from the pickups, since I just got the amp).

I installed Reaper, I don't know if I am doing something wrong but I can still hear myself through my computer's speakers when the monitoring is off.
^ Then turn your computer speakers off. And what does it matter if you hear yourself through the computer speakers?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If I turn my speakers off I won't be able to hear what I'm playing along to (songs, backing track...)

It matters to hear myself through the computer speakers because it is annoying to hear myself at two different places at the same time.

Anyway, I just found the solution! There is a monitoring knob on GearBox and I turned its gain to -100dB (min).