I just broke my brothers guitar by accident and i was wondering if i could fix it. It broke when it hit the fan in my room. Getting a new neck is out of the question. I'm extremely short on cash. I have about $20 to get it fixed.

I was thinking wood glue with some wood filler to hide the crack mark.

Would be great if you guys could help. Any advice appreciated.

P.S. Could you help me identify the neck material.

Pics are attached.

Thanks.
Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture8.JPG
Ouch... $20 wont even come close to fixing that. In this case it might actually be cheaper to get a new neck than fixing it. What kind of fan were you standing under? That thing had to be under an industrial sized old metal fan of some kind.
assuming this is a GIO and not a J-Craft...

(Invalid img)

you just may make it under $20.

but your brother is going to kick your ass.
It was a nearly 13 year old metal fan. I could somehow increase my budget to around $60. Would that be enough. Materials in my country are cheap. Guitar stuff is not.
Quote by gregs1020
assuming this is a GIO and not a J-Craft...

Would you use titebond, or would you wick some thin superglue into that crack?

Didja ever notice that the most dangerous enemies of your guitars are brothers, family pets and soon-to-be ex-wives?
Do as Greg said, use Titebond, I use the original Titebond myself, but all are good.

Make sure you get the glue in the crack very good or the bond might not hold.

Take all of the hardware off the headstock so you have nothing hindering the clamp

If you get a clamp like the one Greg pictured, make sure it has 100+lbs of clamping force
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 13, 2013,
Thanks for the replies.

So, titebond and clamp.Ok.

It's not a GIO or anything. It was my first guitar that i got while i was in myanmar. Got it for $160. Anyone know the type of wood used on the neck. The fretboard is rosewood.No damage to the fretboard whatsoever.
The neck is Maple

Don't be afraid to put a lot of glue in the crack, you can easily wipe it away with a damp rag when you clamp it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just replace the guitar. At $60, you're already at nearly 50% of its original cost. You can spend a few dollars for some glue and attempt to fix it, but at $20 or even $60, it'll never look like it didn't happen.
Quote by dspellman
Would you use titebond, or would you wick some thin superglue into that crack?

Didja ever notice that the most dangerous enemies of your guitars are brothers, family pets and soon-to-be ex-wives?

well since it's his brother's $60 ibby i'd use titebond.

while i will admit i've never fixed a crack like that and super glue would probably run down nicely into the crack when coaxed with a wick or pipe cleaner, the titebond seems to run literally everywhere when i use it.

i can make quite the mess with that shiz. with superglue i'd probably end up with one thumb glued to the neck and the other to my forehead.

good call though, someone who's less of a eejit than i could probably make nice work with it.

TS - with titebond i'd give it a good 3 days to dry before unclamping or more if you can. i just like to make sure it's dry before going any further. also use plenty of clamps, at least 5 or 6 across the crack at minimum. the more you can fit the better. but leave it for days before unclamping and sanding back nice and level. good luck.

dspell - college roomie borked my first guitar's headstock. so yeah, someone i lived with.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 13, 2013,