I own a really cute blackheart BH5 head, which I'm playing through the 8" speaker of my SS Randall 25w combo.

I am planning on buying a Harley Benton G212 Vintage, and then something came to my mind:
used staff usually comes for less money.

I'm no real expert here so why not asking my lovely UG fellows and fellowettes:
what could the disadvantages of buying a used cab be?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
There is no warranty.

I buy used gear almost all the time now. New gear that I want is expensive
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
no warranty, as said

in addition to that:

it could be a lemon that the seller is looking rid of

you don't know how the seller looked after it. admittedly that's more of a concern with other guitar gear than a cab, most likely, but still.

if you can't see inside the cab you don't know for sure what speakers are in there- the seller could have modded it to contain cheaper speakers without your knowledge

seller might cosh you over the head and sell you as a sex slave

some of those are fairly unlikely, to be fair, but they do sometimes happen

are you trying to keep the volume of your blackheart as low as possible, or trying to increase its volume? also, what type(s) of tones are you after? That HB cab is killer value, but you have to need/want v30s for it to be a good idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I wouldn't want it to be loud actually, though that cab in particular seemed like the best bet.
Also, I djent a lot and most people use oranges with v30s in them to get that tone.

Dunnow, I also like G12T75s, though I haven't found a nice 1/2x12 with them inside, and I don't feel I'm a player serious enough to justify the purchase of a custom cab, or a big and heavy Marshall 4x12.

Edit: also what's the thing about lemons? :P
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Oct 14, 2013,
A "lemon" is when you get a particularly bad example. As in, someone advertised a cab and the speaker screws are loose producing a weird buzz while you play, or there's a nasty hiss due to bad grounding.

You get the opportunity to try before you buy in stores, so you're less likely to buy something on impulse and have it turn out to be faulty like that.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Quote by Spambot_2
I wouldn't want it to be loud actually, though that cab in particular seemed like the best bet.
Also, I djent a lot and most people use oranges with v30s in them to get that tone.

Dunnow, I also like G12T75s, though I haven't found a nice 1/2x12 with them inside, and I don't feel I'm a player serious enough to justify the purchase of a custom cab, or a big and heavy Marshall 4x12.

Edit: also what's the thing about lemons? :P

Yeah it is a judgement call. v30s are really loud speakers, but if they do the tone you want, I'm not sure it makes sense to get a quieter speaker which is less suitable for the tone you want.

And yeah, as PsiGuy60 said, a lemon is just a really bad example which left the factory made badly and which is never quite right nomatter how much you try to fix it. I think the term originated with cars. And when someone gets one, they tend to want to get rid of it pretty quickly, so they sell it on. And you might be the next one to buy it

Quote by NakedInTheRain
+1, this has happened to me more than once. i'm a good sport about it though.

LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 14, 2013,
Bring some tools with you and open up the back panel of whatever used cab you are going to buy. Make sure the speakers are what they are advertised and that the wiring and general condition of the speakers are good. Plug it in and listen close to all the individual speakers to make sure they are working.
I buy used almost exclusively. The only notable downside I can think of is that the manufacturer isn't making money for that acquisition.

I have never found a warranty to be a good (or even sane) investment. They usually don't cover tube replacements or setups, which are the only two things you really need to worry about as long as you're buying quality gear in the first place.

I have personally found that instruments are usually much better taken care of by previous owners (setup-wise) than by a shop. As far as aesthetics go... that's usually clear in pictures, and something you decide you can or can't live with beforehand.

Just my $0.02.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah it is a judgement call. v30s are really loud speakers, but if they do the tone you want, I'm not sure it makes sense to get a quieter speaker which is less suitable for the tone you want.

Well **** my neighbors then.

Anyway I'd probably buy the thing online so I don't have the slightest clue how to be sure the thing is actually 0.k., you think I should go for it if it makes (or at least it's supposed to make) me save about €50?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
It's up to you, really. I mean the price on the HB G212 vintage even new is already pretty good. It's your call.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?