After several failed attempts to learn the guitar I recently got the urge again and went out and bought a few. One of the guitars I bought was a classic vibe telecaster by squire. I really can not belive how much quality these guitars have. A few years ago I bought an affinity series tele and it really was poor quality guitar. It was so bad it put me off learning. I'm not an expert but the classic vibe is unbelievably good, in fact I bet if it had Fender wrote on the headstock no one would question it. I was planning on changing the pick ups but they don't need changing they are good enough. Every last detail on the guitar is excellent. I especially like the vintage bridge and tuners.

I'm not sure about the classic vibe range of strats, but the tele's are excellent value for money and won't dissapoint, even skilled guitarists will appreciate them.
Yeah the CV and VM series are very good for the money
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I was going to buy a Fender Modern Player Tele but saw the CV and couldn't believe how good it was. Also I wasn't too keen on the humbucker pick up on the modern player.
I love the CV 50's Strat. IMO, better than the MIM Strats. Was going to pick one up this weekend, but ended up buying some early Christmas gifts for my kids. Guess I am going to wait a few weeks.
Ibanez SR1200E
Quote by pachap
I love the CV 50's Strat. IMO, better than the MIM Strats. Was going to pick one up this weekend, but ended up buying some early Christmas gifts for my kids. Guess I am going to wait a few weeks.

No they're not. Please, please don't start this fad again.
Quote by JustRooster
No they're not. Please, please don't start this fad again.

Depends on how you like your necks (satin or vintage tint) or your pickups (hot or not) etc. They both have their merits to different people. Personally, I'd take a VM over a MIM standard, but I have a MIM Classic Player Fender that's higher build quality than my VM, but I pick them both up for different things. In fact, my VM is my main guitar right now, and I have the Fender and a Gibson standard sitting right next to it on the rack. I also have a lower quality Squier (cyclone) and that is definitely a different guitar, and not quite as nice as the VM (also half the price).

Long story short - the different models fall all over the quality/playability spectrum.

Also, the Chinese modern player fenders are TERRIBLE quality and feel like plastic. I feel confident saying that across the board, a CV or VM guitar is higher quality than a MIC modern player.

Edit: to clarify which models are which in my sig...the Jaguar is VM, Tele is CP MIM, SG is Gibson Standard (duh) and the Cyclone is Squier standard. They all get equal usage, except maybe the cyclone (but my girlfriend has taken a liking to it lately for some reason, so it's getting played every day again).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Oct 13, 2013,
I had a Modern Player that was okay. Felt cheap but had p90s and sounded decent. However, I picked up a Modern Player Tele at a GC not too long ago and it felt like garbage. As you said, it felt like a plastic toy.
Glad I didn't get a modern player. I was so close because I wanted the Fender name on the stock.
That's why they make them, West Riding, that's why they make them. :p

Nah but seriously, if you buy secondhand from someone who has done the work to set it up and maybe do some upgrades, I'm sure you could find a Modern Player that would be a semi-decent guitar. But there's a reason their value is horrible on the used market compared to the new price. They have neat pickups and cool designs, and they haven't been around for too long. So, why are they so cheap? ... Yeah.
The CV Squiers are made from 5-7 pieces of wood in the body, the throwaway necks from other factories, the most budget pickups Fender puts out, and worst of all, you can't just use them as a straight up mod platform because many things won't fit (i.e. American Necks hang over too much requiring the pickguard be cut, etc).

Trust me, I used to work as a guitar tech full time, I've worked on tons. The material sucks, the frets are rarely level, neck pockets are often not married that well, and more and more.

They have the cool looks for a low price. That's why people buy Squier CV and VM items. At least with an MIM you know that you can just swap an MIA neck onto your 3-piece body. They're far and away a better hot rod platform. Not to mention that the mexican factory accidentally produces gems from time to time.

Not to say that CV and VM don't have their gems, but on average the regular MiM and the regular CV will not be the same. Most reviews on Squiers are by other people who want buyer's confirmation so they share each other's rave reviews.

Squier CV's are not as good as MiM's on average, and certainly no where near the quality of an American. Everything about them objectively is worse. Everything about them is even subjectively worse. I've owned a whole shit ton of Strats. I'm very experienced in them. I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but I will say I've had my fair share of fretboard time comparing the different regions and eras.

Now, don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying the series is outright bad. For the money, they're great gitfiddles, but your run of the mill Squier still has a lot of things that are worse on it than your run of the mill MiM.

But, JustRooster! You can just swap the pickups and tone pots and be just as good as a mexican!

Firstly, that's not how it works. Built quality and neck joint marriage is the key ingredient here. Secondly, for that amount of money all you've done was make it only as good as the entry level fender, but you've lost out on a decent body, more versatility, and that Fender headstock.

We've had this fad before. Please don't start it again.
Also, I want to address this:

People just get the MiM because it says "Fender" on the headstock.

First off, we've talked about how the MiM actually is a better guitar already.

I wanted to note that if you're serious about playing guitar in any way beyond your garage or bedroom, those brands actually start making a difference. People who aren't saavy and budgeted guitar players will have opinions about your shit, and it will affect your image. And this is way beyond just the band.

I was a session bassist the first time I lived in Madison. I sessioned at The Blast House and Barn 51 Studios. I had just picked bass back up and started playing around and subbing for friends at the time, and I would go to these studios and work for free. I got maybe a gig every other week playing my VM Jazz Bass.

Well, I had a catalog of tracks I played on. One day I decided to jump on a craigslist deal of a boring, completely average, all black and white pickguard with rosewood Jazz Bass, the most vanilla bass you could buy. It said Fender on the headstock, though. The guy at Barn 51, who'd seen my shit before, started hiring me more. He said this to me when he told me he wanted to get me in for a few more bands he had on the calendar:

"It looks like you're getting pretty serious about your playing here."

And then the dude started paying me. I was just plucking for beer and microphone time before.

Now, did the VM sound just fine? Sure. Was the MiM that much better? Well, after I put some SD Quarter Pounders in it, it was, but at the time it was a marginal upgrade (I ended up neck swapping it). The thing was, the guys I was playing with knew nothing about bass. The VM series Jazz basses get rave reviews, I still really dig them, but no one else outside the saavy online forum bass community on a budget seems to really dig them.

So just bare that in mind if you're trying to earn money with your playing. If you're at battle of the bands with a Squier, you'll be judged for it. If you show up to the studio with a Squier, you'll be judged for it. It's not fair, and it's definitely not correct, but the vast majority of the musical community thinks Squier is still kiddies-first-guitar brand, and serious musicians who want a Strat/Tele/Jag/Jazzmaster will buy the Fender equivalent. Hell, most of them don't know the difference between the MIM and MIA, they just know the logo.

That Fender logo will do you some favors if you're looking for exposure. It's dumb, but that's just what I learned when I was sessioning.
I have noticed that people who really know about guitars don't seem to give as much of a shit about the brand. They will notice if your guitar is a decent guitar, and not worry so much about brand name.

I learned firsthand about the pain of assuming your gear has standard measurements. I recently bought a Tokai Strat and Fernandes Tele. Turns out, the scratch plate on a Tokai doesn't use the same measurements as a Fender. So it's going to be an ass and a half if I want to replace the pickguard. A friend suggested spray painting it. As silly as that sounds, it might be more realistic than trying to import a scratch plate from Japan.

So yeah, if you want to do mods to your guitar, make sure what you get can handle the mods you plan to do. I don't know what MiM Fender quality is like, I've never owned one. But they are extremely cheap online, so that's always a pretty solid option.

And hey, we've all owned a guitar that wasn't as nice as some other guitar we had owned or played, but we still enjoyed it more. I think a cheapo guitar can be a lot of fun, provided it's at least to a certain standard of quality. That's probably a big part of the appeal of Classic Vibe, although the looks definitely don't hurt. I really wish Fender MIM would release some decent-looking guitars that weren't priced comparable to American Specials.
Quote by samuraigoomba
I have noticed that people who really know about guitars don't seem to give as much of a shit about the brand. They will notice if your guitar is a decent guitar, and not worry so much about brand name.

I learned firsthand about the pain of assuming your gear has standard measurements. I recently bought a Tokai Strat and Fernandes Tele. Turns out, the scratch plate on a Tokai doesn't use the same measurements as a Fender. So it's going to be an ass and a half if I want to replace the pickguard. A friend suggested spray painting it. As silly as that sounds, it might be more realistic than trying to import a scratch plate from Japan.

So yeah, if you want to do mods to your guitar, make sure what you get can handle the mods you plan to do. I don't know what MiM Fender quality is like, I've never owned one. But they are extremely cheap online, so that's always a pretty solid option.

And hey, we've all owned a guitar that wasn't as nice as some other guitar we had owned or played, but we still enjoyed it more. I think a cheapo guitar can be a lot of fun, provided it's at least to a certain standard of quality. That's probably a big part of the appeal of Classic Vibe, although the looks definitely don't hurt. I really wish Fender MIM would release some decent-looking guitars that weren't priced comparable to American Specials.

I don't know where your at, but MIM's are pretty cheap. deff less than the $700 MIA Fenders $300 on a bad day used
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think some people just resent the fact that a Squire cv is just as good as some low end Fenders, especially ones which they own.
Quote by West Riding
I think some people just resent the fact that a Squire cv is just as good as some low end Fenders, especially ones which they own.

No they are not
Are CV/VM squiers great for the price? hell yes they are, but they are still sub-par of MIM on a whole. Yes. You will get some that are made very nice with nice materials, but as a whole, no they are not.

I will have to say if the Fender name is not a priority the CV is a deff option for the majority of guitarists.

Remember Fender owns Squire and because of that they will never allow them to be as good as the higher end models. That is bad business you'll lean that in your Sophomore year in business school
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Obviously no self respecting musician is going to take one to the studio or on stage but for beginners like me they are amazing. I know for a fact most people could not tell the difference between a cv and a Fender.
Quote by West Riding
Obviously no self respecting musician is going to take one to the studio or on stage but for beginners like me they are amazing. I know for a fact most people could not tell the difference between a cv and a Fender.

That's not a 'fact' and I'd really have to disagree.

No one's trying to shit on your guitar, friend. It's well established that the CV/VM guitars are great for the price, probably the best in the affordable range, but on average they are not as good as the on-average MIM.

I'm happy you're happy with your guitar. Objectivism is definitely a virtue in the guitar gear world, though.
Last edited by JustRooster at Oct 14, 2013,
Haha I know your not trying to shit on my guitar, also I mean just normal players wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Your a professional musician so you don't count.
My point about MIM Fenders, Rob, was more that when I start to see MIM guitars that are actually nice to look at and have interesting pickup configurations, they're in the $500+ plus range. That's verging on used Fender American Special territory.

I just don't like the looks of standard MIM strats and teles.
Quote by West Riding

I have played professionally for 15+ yrs one of my main giging guitars was a 1996 Squier Pro-tone Tele that was an amazing guitar. I just sold it a few months ago and now kick myself in the ass for doing it. I have not found another Tele anywhere that even comes close to the playability of that guitar. But at the end of the day it was still only a Squier.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by samuraigoomba
I just don't like the looks of standard MIM strats and teles.

They look the same as a MIA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The next guitar I'm getting in the next week or so is a Fender 70's Stratocaster in natural with RW fretboard.