Poll: What's your favorite Pokemon Generation?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's your favorite Pokemon Generation?
Gen I
72 56%
Gen II
33 26%
Gen III
12 9%
Gen IV
1 1%
Gen V
4 3%
Gen VI
7 5%
Voters: 129.
Page 1 of 3
With the release of Pokemon X/Y and Gen VI, I'm just curious what UGs favorite Pokemon Generations are.

Personally, Gen III is my favorite. It's the one I grew up with, so naturally it's the one that I have the fondest memories of. A close contender would be Gen IV.
clearly Gen I or II, all else is repetetive junk.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Second gen is the only good sequel. It was when pokemon were still based off of mythological creatures and animals. The third gen pokemon always resembled humans too much, imo. It's when it all started...

Daily reminder that Pokemon boosted the amount of furries in the world significantly.
2 or 5. 1 had crappy Pokemon and the games weren't amazing (get over it), 2 was amazing, 3 wasn't bad, 4 was boring, 5 had good Pokemon and easily the best games.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Gen I and Gen II are my favorites. I bought Blue not long after it came out, and the same with Silver. After that I never really kept up with Pokemon as much. I did play Emerald, which was alright. I'm really not very familiar with anything after Gen III.
Silver & Gold were clearly the best games by far.

Quote by the bartender

HeartGold and SoulSilver are better...
Quote by the bartender

*Soul Silver & Heart Gold
Quote by Todd Hart
HeartGold and SoulSilver are better...

Quote by darkcheef
*Soul Silver & Heart Gold

Hahahahaha
ahaha

Next you'll tell me the edited Star Wars movies are better than the originals.

Quote by Todd Hart
2 or 5. 1 had crappy Pokemon and the games weren't amazing (get over it), 2 was amazing, 3 wasn't bad, 4 was boring, 5 had good Pokemon and easily the best games.

Yeah, it always makes me laugh when people say Gen I is the best and all the others are just pieces of crap because Nintendo's running out of ideas. When you look at them from an objective design standpoint, Gen I is the least creative out of all of them. Everyone bashes Gen V for having ice cream and garbage as Pokemon, but you have to remember that Gen I had a Pokeball, a pile of toxic sludge, and a cluster of eggs as Pokemon
Gen I is definitely the best. Likewise, Firered/Leafgreen are the best games.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Gen III; Emerald's my favourite game of the series, followed by the Gen II remakes. I loved Gen I but I got pretty bored of it. Gen IV was alright, my favourite Pokémon, Glaceon, is a Gen IV. Gen V was pretty weak but I quite liked Black/White II. Need to get a 3DS before I play the Gen VI games. I have my doubts about the introduction of a new type but I've heard very good things about X/Y.
Whichever ones Red and Silver came from. Don't think I ever played any other ones.
Yellow was the best game

I mean you get Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander in the same game
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Played gen. I so many times. Don't have time for all your new-fangled pokemans. That said, I'd like to try Fire Red.
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Yellow was the best game

I mean you get Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander in the same game

That's why I didn't like Yellow, the game was way too easy because of that
Quote by the bartender
clearly Gen I or II, all else is repetetive junk.

This.

Loved Blue/Red/Yellow and Silver/Gold/Crystal, the rest are utter garbage.
And those new "Mega evolutions"? What is this, Digimon?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by darkcheef
That's why I didn't like Yellow, the game was way too easy because of that

I get what ur saying it was less pokemon to trade but the game was much more fun being Ash
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Whenever crystal version came out. Or ruby. I played the shit out of both
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by WhiteStripesIII
Gen III; Emerald's my favourite game of the series, followed by the Gen II remakes. I loved Gen I but I got pretty bored of it. Gen IV was alright, my favourite Pokémon, Glaceon, is a Gen IV. Gen V was pretty weak but I quite liked Black/White II. Need to get a 3DS before I play the Gen VI games. I have my doubts about the introduction of a new type but I've heard very good things about X/Y.

Dude, X/Y is amazing . It might just be the best Pokemon game to date. The new type actually balances things out a bit more. All the new stuff they added is really cool!
Seriously, anyone who thinks the first gen games were better than the remakes of the second gen or Black and White simply hasn't played the first gen games without wearing rose-tinted spectacles.
Quote by Todd Hart
Seriously, anyone who thinks the first gen games were better than the remakes of the second gen or Black and White simply hasn't played the first gen games without wearing rose-tinted spectacles.

For real, Gen I was hot garbage when you look back at the millions of glitches, having Special Attack and Special Defense for the same stat, no effective ghost moves, no real Dragon moves, being frozen was pretty much permanent in battle, critical hits being based on speed, and Psychic types being absolutely overpowered
Quote by darkcheef
Quote by Todd Hart
For real, Gen I was hot garbage when you look back at the millions of glitches, having Special Attack and Special Defense for the same stat, no effective ghost moves, no real Dragon moves, being frozen was pretty much permanent in battle, critical hits being based on speed, and Psychic types being absolutely overpowered

I'm right now in the middle of Pokémon Blue for the god-knows-which-time, and i still love it to bits despite all of its flaws.

I honestly still think today that the Gen.1 and Gen.2 games are the best.
And the truth is, i still replay those games every once in a while, while the others i only played once and never felt the desire to start them all over again.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Oct 14, 2013,
Quote by Todd Hart

+1 They're awful. Gold/Silver/Crystal are playable but outdated, but R/B/Y are pretty much awful now in my eyes. And I have a ton of nostalgia for them.

Gen 5 is my favorite at the moment, 7 badges through X and I think Gen VI is making a strong case. It's the Pokemon game we all imagined as kids, where you roam through an all new world that's giant and holds almost all the Pokemon at once... in glorious 3D.

Just no one imagined it'd be on a portable console. The only disappointment for me is the shortage of new Pokemon, but to be honest they're pretty much all good ones. Game Freak cut out the fat for the most part and gave us 70 solid new Pokemon instead of 150 with mixed results.

And although Gen V is my favorite, anyone denying HG/SS as the best games likely hasn't played them. You get all the nostalgia with good graphics and current mechanics/pokemon. They even fixed like the only thing that sucked about G/S/C and brought the Safari Zone back.
Honestly, I enjoyed the first three gen the best. The rest really didn't catch my attention.
Quote by Skodward714
Dude, X/Y is amazing . It might just be the best Pokemon game to date. The new type actually balances things out a bit more. All the new stuff they added is really cool!

That's basically what everyone else has told me. The only thing is that I simply can't afford to pay about £200 for one game as I have no interest in handheld gaming apart from Pokémon, I do really want to get it though.
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
A big list of everything wrong with gen I:

Haha, I wasn't actually aware of a lot of that. The special stat was ace though because of Amnesia and Slowbro being one of my favourite Pokemon not to mention all-destroying Snorlax. Even when I was 8 I knew Rage sucked though.

Basically the games are hilariously broken but still fun for novelty I find. Though having no run button sucks.
Last edited by raoooos at Oct 14, 2013,
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
A big list of everything wrong with gen I:

I actually did not know a lot of those. If I had known Toxic and Leech Seed stacked, my Venusaur would've been unstoppable.

Quote by Rockford_rocks
7 badges through X and I think Gen VI is making a strong case.

Holy fuck, son. You've already reached the 7th gym? You must really be putting in some work on that game.
Quote by archangels

Holy fuck, son. You've already reached the 7th gym? You must really be putting in some work on that game.

Seemed like everyone was busy this weekend, my girlfriend and I broke up about three weeks ago, and my classes are in that awkward "it's almost midterms so study up but really there's nothing else we have to do right now" area.

All I had to do this weekend is work a couple shifts and play Pokemon. I got in 11 hours on Saturday and probably 5-6 yesterday no life confirmed
Gen II was the best. Gen V had really stupid Pokemon but it made up for it by Black and White being good games in general. Gen IV is the worst, the games were the most boring and the Pokemon were as lame as in V
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Gen II was the best. Gen V had really stupid Pokemon but it made up for it by Black and White being good games in general. Gen IV is the worst, the games were the most boring and the Pokemon were as lame as in V

I'd say that overall B&W's Pokemon were better than gen 1's. Yeah there were some weird ones, but there were some interesting ones too (not just in art, but it concept). Gen 1's Pokemon were almost universally boring or stupid.
Quote by Rockford_rocks

All I had to do this weekend is work a couple shifts and play Pokemon. I got in 11 hours on Saturday and probably 5-6 yesterday no life confirmed

Who needs a life when you have Pokemon?

Since I didn't actually comment on the thread topic in my last post, I guess I should contribute to the discussion.

I voted Generation 2 in the poll because Gold and Silver were the games that gave me the biggest rush when I played them. I actually had both and went back and forth between the two, which is something I haven't done since then. Generation 3 is probably the one I've played the most though, what with most hacks being of FireRed or Emerald, which allowed me to power through the game at 3-5 times the normal game speed.

X and Y have me more excited than I have been about any other new generation though. Probably because this time I'll be able to play them within a week or two of release instead of having to wait years because I can't afford to keep up with it.
Quote by Todd Hart
I'd say that overall B&W's Pokemon were better than gen 1's. Yeah there were some weird ones, but there were some interesting ones too (not just in art, but it concept). Gen 1's Pokemon were almost universally boring or stupid.

Yup

Gen 5's Pokemon are probably the best (most consistently good) in the series for me. A couple are dumb, but a few are dumb in every single generation to date.

Not to mention Gen 1 was incredibly predictable in its typings. A fish type thing? How about just Water for all of them? A bird? Normal/Flying, next.

Nothing was really outside the box and it got stale quickly. Half the fun of Pokemon for me is finding cool monsters with ridiculous type combos and finding out what they specialize in. Not so easy when all types of moves were either special or physical (eg all water moves were special), which could either make or break a Pokemon depending on typing back then.

What's the point of a Pokemon having great attack when their typing only gives them special moves?
The Next Generation
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
dun care. just buy me X or Y already pls.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Page 1 of 3