mine is a 2013 with the "fat 50's" pickups. It's been a while since i've had a strat and this is my first american instrument. I'm trying to figure out if all strats sustain this badly or if mine just sucks. I'm a lefty so i haven't had an opportunity to play many

Playing the 12th fret, G string, with no vibrato on a clean setting gets me about 7 seconds before the sound is completely gone. The G string is also a little buzzy, as are the D and B in spots. I"ve had this set up a bunch of times at the store i bought it from. No real change. I think it may need a new nut?

For comparison sake, my 2004 mexi tele sustains in the same setting for 6 seconds on very old strings and there is no buzz noticeable.
I am afraid that there is no standard answer to that question. It depends on a great many things: string gauge and construction, plugged into an amplifier vs. unplugged, etc. If your notes are fading out in less that four seconds, you probably have a problem with bridge stability. Beyond that, it is really up in the air. How many springs do you have in the tremolo (if you have a tremolo at all)? What gauge strings are you using? Are you using an original Fender Strat bridge, or an aftermarket bridge? Are you in standard tuning, or have you down-tuned? All of these things go to the time of note sustain.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
I am afraid that there is no standard answer to that question. It depends on a great many things: string gauge and construction, plugged into an amplifier vs. unplugged, etc. If your notes are fading out in less that four seconds, you probably have a problem with bridge stability. Beyond that, it is really up in the air. How many springs do you have in the tremolo (if you have a tremolo at all)? What gauge strings are you using? Are you using an original Fender Strat bridge, or an aftermarket bridge? Are you in standard tuning, or have you down-tuned? All of these things go to the time of note sustain.

My apologies, I absolutely should have included all of that. Where is my mind? 3 trem springs, Using rotosound 10's, all parts on the american strat are as it came, I usually play in Eb if not standard. It sustains for about 5.5 seconds. I'm talking completely clean through my peavey delta blues 115.
Last edited by RyanMW2010 at Oct 15, 2013,
It's a meaningless question. Far too many variables to make an accurate conclusion.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Nobody times their guitar's sustain. I will say that buzz will kill sustain, and unless your guitar is buzzing playing open strings, it's not the nut.
Quote by J_W
Nobody times their guitar's sustain. I will say that buzz will kill sustain, and unless your guitar is buzzing playing open strings, it's not the nut.

It does buzz on open strings Earvana nut replacement?
Play it unplugged. Listen. The combo of hardware and wood will show the sustain. My 93 Mex strat is a bit muddy sounding and sustains about 3 seconds like that. My 98 American is much clearer, louder and sustains about 8 seconds. Add in my custom pickups, Mesa Boogie, etc, and there's no "standard" about sustain length.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
Quote by dgonz
Play it unplugged. Listen. The combo of hardware and wood will show the sustain. My 93 Mex strat is a bit muddy sounding and sustains about 3 seconds like that. My 98 American is much clearer, louder and sustains about 8 seconds. Add in my custom pickups, Mesa Boogie, etc, and there's no "standard" about sustain length.

yeah, unplugged gets me about 5 seconds, max. the strings buzz. especially open. i think there's something wrong w/ the nut. gonna bring it back to the shop. aaaaaaaagain.
Stop trying to measure sustain in seconds. That measurement tells you nothing unless it is absurdly short, and then you should know that something's wrong already.

Unplugged, it doesn't tell you much, because the note may not be audible but it might ring out just fine through pickups. Plugged in, the number is meaningless because you can change the volume or gain on your amp and get a totally different number. Both of those methods are silly anyway because everyone's threshhold for hearing a note is different, and there's certainly no standard or correlative for seconds of sustain. It's like asking how bright a light is based on how much you squint when looking right at it. Any information you might convey with that system is more accurately gotten by a different measurement.

If you think something sounds wrong with your guitar, try to explain what sounds off, or better yet record it and post it here. Or you can take it to a tech, or just try setting it up yourself and seeing what changes. Trying to troubleshoot with a system as absurd as counting seconds of sustain is just beating your head against the wall.
Quote by RyanMW2010
It does buzz on open strings Earvana nut replacement?

Buzzing open string is almost always the nut, the slots get worn over time. Loosen your strings and stick something in the slots of the buzzing strings to shim it a little, small piece of foil or paper, something very small. Retune and see if the buzzing goes away. If it does, it's confirmed. You can probably leave the "shims" in so it's playable until you get a new nut. It won't hurt anything.
Quote by J_W
Buzzing open string is almost always the nut, the slots get worn over time. Loosen your strings and stick something in the slots of the buzzing strings to shim it a little, small piece of foil or paper, something very small. Retune and see if the buzzing goes away. If it does, it's confirmed. You can probably leave the "shims" in so it's playable until you get a new nut. It won't hurt anything.

i got this guitar brand new in mid august. so i doubt the nut slots have worn down---fender just sucks with quality control, i guess.

I understand how fruitless measuring sustain in seconds is, now. What i'm just trying to find out is if there is something faulty with my guitar. I've always heard about how some guitars of the exact same model vary widely in quality. I'm worried mine might be a dud. This is a $1,000+ instrument, and it doesn't sustain well, open strings (and fretted notes on G and some D) buzz, it sounds very odd distorted. I don't know :/
Probably just needs a setup. Take it to a shop if you can, they should be able to get it working properly again, and if not they'll tell you and you can get it covered by the warranty.

If that's not an option, there's a sticky at the top of this forum that will help you do a setup yourself.

Again, if it's an option, recording a video of what the guitar is doing would be very valuable for diagnosis, otherwise it's hard to say online what exactly is going on.
Quote by RyanMW2010
My apologies, I absolutely should have included all of that. Where is my mind? 3 trem springs, Using rotosound 10's, all parts on the american strat are as it came, I usually play in Eb if not standard. It sustains for about 5.5 seconds. I'm talking completely clean through my peavey delta blues 115.

Your mind = out in the ocean somewhere singing.

Answer to your question = go slam a six pack. You are being a lil too anal my friend. And this is coming from someone who is pretty anal . You're driving into a dark whole that is a one way street and guess what? You're going the wrong way.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's a meaningless question. Far too many variables to make an accurate conclusion.

+1
II was going to suggest that a strat should sustain at least eight and a half feet.

If not longer.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Quote by RockAddict311
Your mind = out in the ocean somewhere singing.

Answer to your question = go slam a six pack. You are being a lil too anal my friend. And this is coming from someone who is pretty anal . You're driving into a dark whole that is a one way street and guess what? You're going the wrong way.

+1

haha, yeah. I can see it beginning already. Ending up dumping so much $ chasing a perfect setup , tone, etc, forever. I guess there are worse places to throw your $ away to.
You're worrying yourself to death here. If it buzzes openly the neck probably needs a hair more backbow to it, current made Fenders are arguably the best they've ever made in terms of consistency and quality. Also, how often will you ever need your guitar to ring freely for 8 seconds? Sustain is a silly thing to worry about in an instrument

Don't worry about the nut, guarantee it's not the cause of your problems with a 2013 American Stratocaster. And forget the Earvana nut too, it's all marketing hype and really pointless. If anything they actually make your intonation worse past the 12th fret.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Oct 16, 2013,
I'd like to add that buzz while spanking the guitar isn't necessarily something to worry about (strumming with force/intensity), especially if your amp isn't projecting it. Sometimes you'll get buzz that is only unplugged.

Just be happy your neck isn't warped. I freaked out when I thought my beloved LP i purchased from GC used had a warped neck. First mom and pop shop said no worries when they set it up. Then it appeared to be warped when sighting down for relief (i.e., one side appeared more bowed), but another mom and pop shop said I was all clear.

I hope I didn't come off as rude at all in my earlier posts. It's natural to protect our loved ones. Even the ones that are non sentient. Hell, some people probably love these slabs of wood and metal more than their of fleshes of meat they kicked out between a pair of legs.
Quote by RockAddict311
I'd like to add that buzz while spanking the guitar isn't necessarily something to worry about (strumming with force/intensity), especially if your amp isn't projecting it. Sometimes you'll get buzz that is only unplugged.

Just be happy your neck isn't warped. I freaked out when I thought my beloved LP i purchased from GC used had a warped neck. First mom and pop shop said no worries when they set it up. Then it appeared to be warped when sighting down for relief (i.e., one side appeared more bowed), but another mom and pop shop said I was all clear.

I hope I didn't come off as rude at all in my earlier posts. It's natural to protect our loved ones. Even the ones that are non sentient. Hell, some people probably love these slabs of wood and metal more than their of fleshes of meat they kicked out between a pair of legs.

You didn't come off as rude at all, and I can be a worrier so I need the tough love sometimes. I'm just not entirely happy with the guitar and that makes me sad . I've been playing for 20 years, and this is my first american instrument. Granted, it plays and sounds better than my mexican tele, but my mexican tele doesn't buzz at all and sustains just as long. The string buzz DOES come through the amp on the G and D strings from the 1st-5th fret. It isn't as noticeable as when it's unplugged, but it's there. But I'm also paranoid that I'm just worrying too much. I'm good friends with the guys at the store i bought it from and I've brought it to them for 4 setups already..and i'm worried they'll begin to get really annoyed with me and think i'm taking advantage of them because setups are free for the first year with the guitar purchase.

What it really comes down to is I'm left handed. I was told so many times by so many people when i first started playing, to play righty, but I was a stubborn 9 year old and I really enjoy being different. I never get to play guitars, and flipping one and trying it at the store does absolutely nothing. So i have to buy blind, and my experience with various guitars for someone who's been playing 20 years is so narrow. I've played mexican teles and strats, epiphone les pauls, my taylor 214 (LOVE) and my american strat. I played the new cheaper model les paul with the plain gold top finish once. That's literally it. I can't ever go into a guitar store and pickup and play. and when i do, they always have the same guitars. The epi LP standard in cherry bust. The mexi strat in sunburst. It's rough
Yeah, might be just the nature of the beast, I own a 77 Fullerton Strat , les paul chambered custom and a new 2012 Tele. They all are different. The Les Paul , can sustain while a get a beer, the Tele about half that and the Strat a little less. But these are 3 different purposes guitars, each the best at what it was designed for. I am so happy with the voice of the new Tele , I do not believe fender has lost a step in QC! But nobody is 100%