I have D'addario 12-54's on my Ibanez GRX20 which is supposed to be set up for thick strings. My issue is that it seems like the action is excessively high. At the 12th fret it's 1/8 inch off the top of the fret. It just doesn't seem normal when I play but I understand that the thicker the strings, the higher they have to be to prevent buzz. But this just seems really high and I was thinking about lowering them, but i don't want to unless i'm sure. If it is too high how high should i make them? or is it all personal preference? Any help is appreciated.
set the action to where it feels nice to you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
saddles
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Adjust action at the bridge saddles/bridge.

The truss rod is for setting neck relief.

Fender specs on a 25.5 in scale are 5/64th on the bass side and 6/64th on the treble side +/- 1/64th measured at the 17th fret

Gibson specs for guitars with a 24.75 in scale are 6/64th on the bass side and 4/64th on the treble side +/- 1/64th measured at the 12th fret.

Neck relief should be anywhere from .012-.014 thousands of an inch while measured at the 15 fret while holding down the first and last fret.

There's no set rule for measurements - just go with what you like, but the info posted above is the "factory recommendations" for string action and neck relief. Usually you can get it much lower than that without too much of a problem.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Has the guitar always had 12's? Doesn't sound like it's set up for 12's to me. Sounds like you need a setup, not just an action adjustment. If it's high at the 12th, most likely the neck has a good amount of bow, lowering the bridge isn't going to cure that, you'll just get buzz on your high and or low frets. You probably need to flatten the neck out a bit, then adjust your action at the bridge.
they arent the original size strings, but i had it set up at a shop right after I got it to support thicker strings, i've had 3 or 4 differen sets on trying to figure out what gauges worked best for my playing type. I finally ended up using the 12-54s that are on there now. The allen screws in the saddles are 1 thread from the top of the saddle which is why i thought it was action. When I look down the neck it looks straight to me, but as far as adjusting the truss rod I don't know how to do that. I'm assuming I could find something on youtube though.
Last edited by jayhawk22 at Oct 15, 2013,
Quote by jayhawk22
they arent the original size strings, but i had it set up at a shop right after I got it to support thicker strings, i've had 3 or 4 differen sets on trying to figure out what gauges worked best for my playing type. I finally ended up using the 12-54s that are on there now. The allen screws in the saddles are 1 thread from the top of the saddle which is why i thought it was action. When I look down the neck it looks straight to me, but as far as adjusting the truss rod I don't know how to do that. I'm assuming I could find something on youtube though.

You need to have it set up for a the gauges you are using.

You can not set up for "heavy" strings and swap to any gauge you want that you consider "heavy"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the truss is fine, i just watched a tutorial and checked it, it is where it needs to be
lower the saddles some more and see how that works.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jayhawk22
the truss is fine, i just watched a tutorial and checked it, it is where it needs to be

how exactly did you check it? If it's fine just lower the bridge and be done.
Quote by jayhawk22
I understand that the thicker the strings, the higher they have to be to prevent buzz. But this just seems really high and I was thinking about lowering them, but i don't want to unless i'm sure.

You don't have to have the action higher to prevent buzz with thicker strings.
The distance from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret remains pretty constant.
For ME an eighth of an inch is very high at the 12th fret at the low E. I'm never much beyond 5/64ths at that point. An eighth inch is more like 8/64ths.

For years Carvin advertised action as low as 1/16th" at the 24th fret with no buzzing strings, and they delivered.