Poll: Which OS do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which OS do you prefer?
Windows 7
115 52%
Mac OS X
39 18%
Windows 8
30 14%
Windows Vista
12 5%
Ubuntu
7 3%
Alternate Linux dsitributions
7 3%
Other
10 5%
Voters: 220.
Page 1 of 4
Purely a curiosity question, not looking to start an argument or anything. Just looking to see what the spread is amongst you guys as far as your preferred OS's go.

I'll have the popular main options, but tell me which specific OS's you guys have used, which you liked best, and which you prefer for current usage

I'm also a systems information and cyber security major, so this is partly for a project, partly for my own morbid curiosity.

I myself use Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin). I made the jump from Windows to Linux when I began on-the-job training for the company I at work for presently, and I soon found myself transferring all my music and stuff to my eSATA drive so I could reboot the OS from a thumb drive and finally do away with Vista. Haven't even once dreamed of going back to Windows

What about you guys?
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]while[/B][/COLOR] [color="Blue"]True[/COLOR]:
    [color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
Apple Os 10.8 I think, I forgot.

Used windows for a long time, then Ubuntu.

Ubuntu nice when you got nothin better to do, then make shit work.

Windows worked ok, but is not as smooth as Apple OS.

Windows (now) to me feelz like if you have boxers that crawl up. They work just as well, but uncomfortable.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Windows Vista (Home Premium).
It came pre-installed.

I originally had a run downed Windows XP (originally it was the family's). So then one day I walked into the pawn shop and saw this (brand new, by the looks of it) computer with a monitor, mouse, and keyboard. for $300. Seemed like a pretty darn good deal to me, so I took it. In fact, the cashier told us that he was going to buy it for himself by the end of the week. I felt a little bad.

Still don't feel the need to upgrade past this point, so I won't. It runs fast and I never run into problems with it.

Also, just an f.y.i. I believe the last time we had this thread, the most voted answer was Windows 7. So be prepared for that.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Oct 15, 2013,
I'm using Windows 7 on my laptop and 8 RT on my Surface and iOS 6 on my phone (too lazy to update)

I like 7 but 8 seems alright, I haven't used it much yet though. I didn't think Vista was as bad as everyone said it was.
cat
Quote by whywefight
ucuntu

Woooooaaaaah, so clever
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
I once found a balloon filled with frosting that I ate....anyways I found out later on in life it was a used condom...

[color="Green"][B]for[/B][/COLOR] i [color="Green"][B]in[/B][/COLOR] [[color="Teal"]"/"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"-"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"[/COLOR][color="Red"]\\[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR],[color="Teal"]"|"[/COLOR]]:
        [color="Green"][B]print[/B][/COLOR] [color="Teal"]"%s[/COLOR][color="Red"]\r[/COLOR][color="Teal"]"[/COLOR] % i,
Quote by guitarxo
I'm using Windows 7 on my laptop and 8 RT on my Surface and iOS 6 on my phone (too lazy to update)

I like 7 but 8 seems alright, I haven't used it much yet though. I didn't think Vista was as bad as everyone said it was.

it wasnt. i had some compatibility issues with games i had from like 2003 or whatever but that was really it. and even then, it was only like two or three of them.

i have windows 7 because thats what came preinstalled on my laptop.
I will admit 7 is a lot better than Vista was. I haven't had too much experience with 8 yet.

Truth be told, I just like working in a Linux environment a lot better. It just seems a lot more user-friendly, once you get the basics down. I like having the option of a GUI when I want to just dick around, but when I'm writing code and scripts, I like having the command-line and the built-in text editor. It's really easy to work with, and the black background isn't too hard on my eyes (REALLY BAD eyesight).

Plus, on my home systems, specifically my dedicated sandbox server (Ubuntu Server), I have it hooked up to an old CRT monitor, and I can run this from the command line:

Quote by Obsceneairwaves

Windows 7 and my laptop I'm about to get is going to have 7 as well. I've messed with an 8, it just felt too weird for me to get used to.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
windows 7 after I upgraded it from preinstalled vista. have an ultrabook coming in 2-3 weeks time which has windows 8.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

See, what little I have experienced with 8 was on a laptop, and it just didn't feel right as a PC operating system. Mobile, sure, but I'm not seeing the overall effectiveness otherwise.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

Ey androids guy. Why not use OSX. Also command line and gui, but better compatibility with popular software, unless you don't use any of that then it's okay.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
When the time comes, I'll suck it up and get a computer with either Windows 7 or OS X. But for now, really all I use my computers for is web-browsing, Facebook, Tumblr, and writing code for work.

edit: presently, my phone is an Android, but I'm due for an update soon, and the Galaxy S5 is rumored to use the Linux-based Tizen mobile OS, so I'm all chubby over that
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

Last edited by DoAndroidsDream at Oct 15, 2013,
Quote by guitarxo

Windows 7 at home and work
RT on my surface
Windows phone 8 on my phone, and it's shit. But never mind, the tiles man. The tiles!
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Dual booting Linux Mint Debian Edition as my main OS and Win7 for games.
Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me.
Most of my computers have WinXP actually because less compatibility issues than 7.

Also they are shitty computers.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I have dualboot for my pc. WinXp and Win7
Quote by Dave Mustaine
If you want to be treated intelligently, act intelligent.

On my phone, Android.
On my computer: Windows 7, but i prefer Mac OS X.

Screenshot of my current desktop, customized to look like Tony Stark's screens on the Iron Man movies:

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
7 on my desktop 8 on my laptop. once you fix the start bar there it isnt really a big deal. apparently 8 is a lot better for performance on battlefield so may look into it come release.
Windows 8

For the only reason anyone uses a microsoft OS: it came with the computer. It's pretty goddamn bad, I had to get the laptop replaced twice due to OS crashing, you have to basically go into task manager and turn off a load of unnecessary start-up apps otherwise Windows 8 commits seppuku.

Maybe one day when I have the funds I'll get a better OS for a better computer. How's Mac OS X for gaming anyone?
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
Maybe one day when I have the funds I'll get a better OS for a better computer. How's Mac OS X for gaming anyone?

Runs fine for me, although a fair few games are not OSX compatible, so I dual boot to Windows 7 for those games (Skyrim, Planetside).
windows 7 cause aint nobody got time to figure ubuntu out. apple os is okay but i dont have the same under the hood option i do with windows
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Random3
Runs fine for me, although a fair few games are not OSX compatible, so I dual boot to Windows 7 for those games (Skyrim, Planetside).

Ah, Skyrim is basically my favourite game ever. So if I'm going to require a Windows OS anyway, I might aswell stick to Win 8. It's not really the best option though, I'll wait and see what the upcoming Steam OS will be like.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Ubuntu. I was using Windows but I needed to format my notebook so I decided to give it a try, so far so good.
Win8 running in a Win7 shell because **** the tile menu.
Also OSX makes me want to throw up, but the entire department of my course an Uni uses macs...
I've got windows 8 at home because I like it, but I haven't rolled it out on the network yet and I won't. Trying to explain the new interface to 700 people is not my idea of a good time.

Windows 7 is good, but keep in mind, it is windows vista with the UAC toned down and the sidebar turned off. That being said, there was nothing wrong with Vista other than the hype.
Quote by EqualOfHeaven
Windows 8

For the only reason anyone uses a microsoft OS: it came with the computer. It's pretty goddamn bad, I had to get the laptop replaced twice due to OS crashing, you have to basically go into task manager and turn off a load of unnecessary start-up apps otherwise Windows 8 commits seppuku.

Bull Shit...

Unless you bought a dell, they load up so much crapware it's shocking.

Try Decrapifier, it does a decent job of clearing crap out.
Windows 7 on the home pc until 8.1 comes out, then I'll probably switch to that.

Mac OS X 7 on the old apple laptop, chich still works better than the pc.

Debian on the small netbook I used to own.
That shit's crazy, it was as fast as my home pc (3gb ram, 2.55gHz dual core) running on a cheap netbook (1gb ram, 1.77gHz low-power dual core) and it didn't freeze.
Never.
The only downside is that I had to use the generic video drivers, so I couldn't even watch 480p youtube videos smoothly.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Windows 7 Pro on my laptop

It came with discs for Windows 8, but I have no plans to install it at the moment.
Windows 8 mostly. Have got the option to dual boot Ubuntu and I also have a Raspberry Pi for my linux related stuff
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
weird linux at work windows at home
Page 1 of 4