I didn't know where to post this, but I've played piano for about 4 years and I know a lot of things about it. I've recently wanted to try out this acoustic guitar laying around but it had no strings. I don't know anything about guitar but I'm wondering if my piano experience will help at all if I decided to try it?
It's all music related so of course. Your ear is already developed somewhat, and know some theory like chord construction?

It worked for me, only the opposite. Guitar to piano.
I played the trumpet (and still play it) before I started playing the guitar. And it really helped. I had no problems starting to play the guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
This might be not as similar but i played guitar for about 8 years before i started playing drums and since i already played all kind of progressive stuff on guitar i had pretty good sense of rythm so drums came very natural to me. Im pretty sure that you will learn to play guitar very fast.
Awesome thanks for the responses, I will give it a try, I'm hoping I can jump right in
yeah it'll help for sure. it'll help with the theory side of things, and also your ear should already be reasonably well-trained, so you won't have to start from scratch. Your finger may well move a bit better than someone who's taking it up from scratch, too- however, i found actually contorting your hands properly to play guitar was still pretty difficult (since with piano you just set your hands out in front of you), so it may still feel difficult at the start.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Awokenn
I didn't know where to post this, but I've played piano for about 4 years and I know a lot of things about it. I've recently wanted to try out this acoustic guitar laying around but it had no strings. I don't know anything about guitar but I'm wondering if my piano experience will help at all if I decided to try it?

You still have to develop muscle memory for the guitar, and build calluses on your fingers. but sure prior musical experience can help.
I have a background in piano too... you will feel like a beginner again but once you put your time in, its worth the effort. The muscle memory is definitely different and it doesn't transfer to guitar. If you were more of an ear player for piano, that helps. Most classically trained aren't unless you memorized a lot. Also once I learned the musical intervals, the whole guitar made sense in think about pitch. The pianos linearly layout is more intuitive.
Remember to cut yourself the some slack when you're learning to read TAB. Knowing how to read treble & bass clefs and trying to decipher TAB instantaneously is like knowing Spanish and trying to stumble through Portuguese without any lessons.

Also remember to look at your progress relative to the demands in your life. If you are not a teenager with nothing to do but sit in your room practicing, don't expect to progress at the same rate as the teenager with no other pressing demands. That was my hardest lesson to learn- as long as my professor was happy with my progress, I should be too, and I should stop comparing myself to the 18 and 19 year olds without family responsibilities.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker
The first instrument will always take the longest to learn because you have to learn the instrument and you have to learn music.

Many musical skills are crossover skills - rhythm, listening skills, resolution, melody, harmony etc.

Other skills (as GuitarMunkey pointed out) are unique to a set of instruments. You will need to learn the new instrument but you should already have some dexterity and strength in your fingers so it won't take as long as it would if you had never played an instrument before but you will still need to learn the peculiarities of the guitar.

Good Luck. Being able to play both is awesome.
Si
^ agreed. I'd say it's arguably analogous to learning another foreign language when you already speak a foreign language. It's a lot easier, a lot of the concepts you'll already know and a lot of overlap (especially with more similar/related languages/instruments), but at the same time you still have to learn that specific language, too.

Quote by queenofthenight

Also remember to look at your progress relative to the demands in your life. If you are not a teenager with nothing to do but sit in your room practicing, don't expect to progress at the same rate as the teenager with no other pressing demands. That was my hardest lesson to learn- as long as my professor was happy with my progress, I should be too, and I should stop comparing myself to the 18 and 19 year olds without family responsibilities.

exactly
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah for sure, I play guitar and i imagine if I was to have a go at the piano I would be as good as Beethoven