Poll: Would you buy a guitar with a broken or well repaired neck break?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you buy a guitar with a broken or well repaired neck break?
Sure why not??
23 53%
Are you ****ing kidding me? no way!!!
20 47%
Voters: 43.
Let's talk about snapped necks.

It happens right?

Does it scare you?

Would you ever consider buying a guitar with a snapped or well repaired neck even though they sell for considerably less?

What say you UG?

would this keep you from buying?

Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 15, 2013,
As long I can buy guitars without damage - I won't buy it

regardless how good it's repaired...
I bought a heartfield with a well-repaired neck. You wouldn't even know it was broken unless you looked very close. But it was only a tiny chip off the headstock, not a totally snapped-off headstock.

I would never buy a guitar with a broken headstock.
A chipped/piece missing? Why not, if its repaired well. Snapped in two? No.

The one in the picture made me cry a little inside...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I'd buy the guitar if the repair was invisible. The repaired necks are stronger anyway.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 15, 2013,
as long as it's repaired well and invisible, i'll buy it no matter what it's been through.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

I wouldn't pay too much for a guitar like that. But if it was the right guitar and it didn't cost me that much I would consider it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I wouldn't pay too much for a guitar like that. But if it was the right guitar and it didn't cost me that much I would consider it.

same here - if was a solid repair that isn't going to cause any problems, if i liked the guitar enough i'd buy it, so long as the asking price was suitably lowered to account for the fact it had been broken and repaired.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Its all depends on the repair quality ... And price.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

I bought a 1994 Les Paul Special that had the headstock broke and fixed, funny thing is I didnt even know it was repaired until I went to sell it and the guy noticed and refused to buy it. Rebuilding the headstock actually makes them stronger, but I've heard some serious horror stories about headstocks exploding off the neck. I actually sold it to a luthier who said it was the best refinish he'd ever seen and paid me more than I was asking. If done right, they are still solid as hell guitars.
Seems to me glue is denser than wood, more uniform anyway.

Wouldn't buy a snapped one, unless I know repair costs. If snapped/repaired depends on price/quality.

I mean if a Les Paul shows up that was 1600, but due to such thing costs 800, I would jump on it, if I was actively in search of a les paul that is,

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
There are just so many LPs out there without neck repairs that I probably wouldn't look twice at a repaired version, but I really don't have any issues playing one.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'd buy the guitar if the repair was invisible. The repaired necks are stronger anyway.

A quality repair job should hide the damage and it is usually stronger than before.

It would purely come down to price. If it's priced accordingly to take into account the damage and it still plays well I'd buy it.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Ive got one, so obviously Im happy to buy guitars with battle scars. Its got to be either a good repair OR still broken and unmolested. If its a shit repair job then no, not interested... Unless its an expensive axe being sold for not very much.
Yeah why not? If it's a quality repair, the glue is even stronger than the surrounding wood.

TL;DR: Yeah, why not. Glue is even stronger in a quality repair.

Especially if the price is right. When I finally look to buy a Gibson V, it would be cool if it was broken. I don't have much money.

TL;DR: I don't have much money.

Anybody wanna sell me their broken guitar?
Depends on the repair and the price.

The break on that Tokai is cleanish I guess so I'd probably go for it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Why bother unless it's a great price?
Unless the repair is splined it could easily break again. There's too many perfectly good ones out there to buy instead.
If I broke one of mine, I'd repair and keep it to begin with.
Moving on.....
it's a lot closer than i thought it would be.

a proper repair doesn't bother me, so long as the guitar is marked down to a irresistible number.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 16, 2013,
i wouldn't touch a guitar with a repaired neck. I try to check to ensure that guitars i buy are not partscasters in any way as well. I do a fair amount of buying and selling of guitars... anything that is not stock or has a repair is virtually worthless in the market. I do have a heavily modded MIM strat that i knew i would never get my money out of so i just kinda go nuts modding that one, everything else i just keep clean and bone stock. If i broke a guitar neck like that i would probably strip it for parts or create some kind of artwork out of it.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
I do a fair amount of buying and selling of guitars... anything that is not stock or has a repair is virtually worthless in the market.

Tell that to Clapton or EVH...
If it was cheap enough I'd make a project out of it. I'm talking like 20% of what it would normally sell for.
I bought my 83 G & L Cavalier that had a previous repaired head stock , crack from high E tuning peg on up , it was professionally repaired by a G & L historian , even with the original paint still on the head stock you can hardly tell it's there , if it would have been refinished you would never know it was there but the guy that had it repaired was trying hard to keep it with the original finish , but I knew it up front and it was priced accordingly .... happy , happy , happy

My Les Paul has a very well repaired headstock break. Best guitar I've ever played. Extremely resonant and sustains for ever. No tuning issues at all. To me, as long as you can check the guitar over before you buy it (which I didn't, I just got extremely lucky) there's no reason not to.

Fadeds are going for around £1500 used. They hold their price very well and seem to be slowly increasing. I got mine for £890 new. Obviously except for the break.
Quote by Slap-happy
Tell that to Clapton or EVH...

their famous 'partscasters' are an exception to the rule, because those guitars are nearly as famous as the people who played them.

In all but those exceptional circumstances, modded or repaired guitars have significantly decreased value on the market no matter how good they may be.

This is why in some cases i think modded/repaired guitars are a great place to look, for people who want a nice guitar to play without being too concerned about maintaining resale value
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by zenbone
i wouldn't touch a guitar with a repaired neck. I try to check to ensure that guitars i buy are not partscasters in any way as well. I do a fair amount of buying and selling of guitars... anything that is not stock or has a repair is virtually worthless in the market. I do have a heavily modded MIM strat that i knew i would never get my money out of so i just kinda go nuts modding that one, everything else i just keep clean and bone stock. If i broke a guitar neck like that i would probably strip it for parts or create some kind of artwork out of it.

so the MIM is your player and the rest of them you just flip for fun of ownership/profits?

i don't think anyone would buy a repaired neck guitar to flip for profit.
aside a very expensive vintage guitar collector type.

as far as artwork, i once considered hanging my first guitar (victim of headstock break) on the wall of my garage.
Quote by gregs1020
so the MIM is your player and the rest of them you just flip for fun of ownership/profits?

i don't think anyone would buy a repaired neck guitar to flip for profit.
aside a very expensive vintage guitar collector type.

as far as artwork, i once considered hanging my first guitar (victim of headstock break) on the wall of my garage.

no, i play all of my guitars. As i buy and sell the ones that feel and play really good to me stay. The ones that are just like a novelty or don't fit my playing get cleaned up and tuned up and sold off after i play them for a while. There are a few that i really love that will be played and cared for hopefully until i am old and grey. The MIM is just the one guitar that i do not follow my own rule and just go nuts on it. There is no real evil "for profit" mentality, i like to play many different guitars and hopefully make a buck or two (or at least break even) as i am doing it.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

My Les Paul has a very well repaired headstock break.

With respect, it's repaired (glued) to usability, but the job isn't finished. Around these here parts, a "very well repaired headstock break" would not only be well-nigh invisible, but would be absolutely undetectable by feel. I've seen some headstocks that have been shattered that take some intense inspection to determine that something's even been done.

This is why I'd probably never buy one; what a seller's idea of a well repaired headstock break is can vary widely.

I think Greg at BCR Music & Sound has a large album of LP headstock repairs that he can probably share with you -- that would be one place that I'd probably trust with a headstock repair. He often glues a headstock back on (and yours is), fills those valleys, sands things down and then fits longitudinal splints of (on an LP) mahogany. The neck is then filled, sanded and refinished to good as new.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 17, 2013,
Quote by Blompcube
their famous 'partscasters' are an exception to the rule, because those guitars are nearly as famous as the people who played them.

In all but those exceptional circumstances, modded or repaired guitars have significantly decreased value on the market no matter how good they may be.

This is why in some cases i think modded/repaired guitars are a great place to look, for people who want a nice guitar to play without being too concerned about maintaining resale value

Sorry, was being sarcastic...

I know that partscasters are 99.99% of the time of lesser value.
Quote by Slap-happy
Sorry, was being sarcastic...

I know that partscasters are 99.99% of the time of lesser value.

so you were basically directing your sarcasm at me for expressing an opinion that you are now agreeing with? Thanks i was hoping to get a bad vibe from UG pretty much 99.99% of the time. Starting to think this place isn't for me anymore.
Quote by BlackVoid
Quote by zenbone
so you were basically directing your sarcasm at me for expressing an opinion that you are now agreeing with? Thanks i was hoping to get a bad vibe from UG pretty much 99.99% of the time. Starting to think this place isn't for me anymore.

It was a (failed) attempt at humour and I wasn't trying to piss anyone off.

Sorry if I caused offence, completely 100% unintentional.
I spent leas than $200 for an (iirc) 82 Kalamazoo Gibson sonex that was otherwise in good condition with a fresh refret and newer cut bone nut. Solid guitar i have never had an issue.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
With respect, it's repaired (glued) to usability, but the job isn't finished. Around these here parts, a "very well repaired headstock break" would not only be well-nigh invisible, but would be absolutely undetectable by feel. I've seen some headstocks that have been shattered that take some intense inspection to determine that something's even been done.

This is why I'd probably never buy one; what a seller's idea of a well repaired headstock break is can vary widely.

I think Greg at BCR Music & Sound has a large album of LP headstock repairs that he can probably share with you -- that would be one place that I'd probably trust with a headstock repair. He often glues a headstock back on (and yours is), fills those valleys, sands things down and then fits longitudinal splints of (on an LP) mahogany. The neck is then filled, sanded and refinished to good as new.

You're right, at this point in time. However, I've had the guitar nearly three years. It is a Faded model which means a very thin finish. It wears very, very easily. It's got the sort of ageing on it a normal Les Paul has after about three years of solid gigging and I haven't had a ban since I've had it. When I first got it, the repair was pretty much invisible. You couldn't feel it either. You still can't. However, it is obviously a weak point in the finish so the paint has worn off. As you probably know, once it starts, it happens pretty quick from then on.
Quote by dspellman

i'm sending the guitar in the OP to greg as soon as it arrives.

i'm not even unpacking it.
Quote by gregs1020
Let's talk about snapped necks.

Let's also talk about that bent A string tuner -- I'm wondering how that neck got broken in the first place <G>.
there was no description in the auction.

it's always family or someone you live with. my college roommate knocked over my first guitar and snapped it's neck. that's the only one of mine that's broken there.

i did kick over a LP studio on to it's face (accident) while working at the store. so someone got a killer deal out of that one.
Nope. If it were my own guitar, I'd pay to have it repaired. But I would never shell out hard-earned cash for someone else's mistake, no matter how well it was repaired.

Any savings would, IMO, be offset by the knowledge that the most fragile piece of the guitar has already been snapped in half.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Oct 20, 2013,