Hello all, this is my first post and I don't exactly know my stuff, so please don't chop my head off

Guitars: I currently have a 60's Sekooa SG Gibson clone, in pretty bad shape, it needs some work (apparently no one has ever heard of Sekooa, there are less than 250 search results on google and 99% of them are unrelated to Sekooa guitars)... I almost solely play my 80's Sigma DR-7 Martin copy. Besides that I have a Marshall 1 watt amp
Needless to say, I'm going to get myself a better guitar eventually, but I think I should get a good amp first so I don't cheap out on one later.

Location: Land O Lakes, FL (15-20 miles from Sam Ash and a Guitar center is located an extra few miles further away)

Budget: $500 tops.

What do I like to play?: A little bit of everything... I like a lot of genres of music here are a few songs/bands I like:
Dream Theater
Guns N Roses
Nirvana
Ratatat
The Raconteurs
Living Colour
Wipeout (The Surfaris)
Many more...

So mainly steady-heavier rock I guess. I will be mainly practicing at home but gigging could easily be a possibility in the future, so I'd like an amp that I can use at home and abroad.

I've heard a lot of crap about Spyder products, I think I'd be better off avoiding them.

That being said, I have looked at a few possibilities that have caught my eye, but I don't know if they suite my needs:
Fender Mustang IV 150w 2x12 combo amp
Peavey ValveKing 112 Combo Amp

I've done several hours of research, but that's all what I have come up with.

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it
Last edited by JGM258 at Oct 15, 2013,
Hmm...At $500, you're sitting in an awkward range. You're within range "good" low-end stuff (oxymoron) and just shy of good mid-range stuff. Maybe look for an old Peavey XXX/Ultra/JSX?

You're trying to cover a lot of ground with all those bands. But a 3 channel amp might be your best bet so you can set it up clean, mid-gain and high-gain.

Stay away from the 150 watt Mustang. Oversized/overpriced practice amp. The Valveking is "meh" unless you mod it.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Hmm, tough call... I guess I could maybe go to $600, but I really don't want to go any more than that. I also prefer buying new, used is a possibility, but there is a greater risk factor.
Are there any particular amp guides you know of? I really should now some basic stuff, for example I don't know what a 3-channel amp is...
+1 on NO Value King, I would stay away from it. I really like the clean tone for rhythm, but the gain was lacking and would not fit your list above.
Last edited by nectarboy21 at Oct 15, 2013,
I'd take a look at a 50w jet city combo or a blackstar ht5 or ht20 if you can swing the budget that way. Those should be a nice starting point for you
Looked at all three of those. But the Blackstars are low on wattage. I'm guessing the bleeding obvious that speaker cabinets are meant for increased volume. Assuming that's true, (99% sure)Perhaps I could go with a lower wattage practice amp and then get a speaker cabinet later. But cost is a consideration, what price do decent speaker cabinets start at?

Thanks again for the help.
go here and look www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

You can get a Krank chadwick or rev 2x12 combo for $500 that would have you set for anything

There is a Chadwick 2x12 for $449 that is a great deal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 15, 2013,
^ Good resource in addition to eBay and CL to monitor pricing.

Agree with Mike. JSX + a bit of cash for a 212. But just to be different, check out the H&K Tubemeister 36 + a bit of cash for a 212. Very cool lights and decent at loud volumes.
I'm really struck with indecision at this point. I really think I should buy new, it just eliminates alot of complication. Maybe I should go cheaper now and get a nice setup in a year when I will have a job? My instructor said to look at Egnnater, this looks like a good start, but I'll leave that up to you guys:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater-Tweaker-15W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-105806202-i1515757.gc
I'm also considering a Peavy Vyper. From what I've heard here, they seem pretty decent. What is the best $400 or less Peavy for my needs?
Quote by JGM258
Looked at all three of those. But the Blackstars are low on wattage. I'm guessing the bleeding obvious that speaker cabinets are meant for increased volume. Assuming that's true, (99% sure)Perhaps I could go with a lower wattage practice amp and then get a speaker cabinet later. But cost is a consideration, what price do decent speaker cabinets start at?

Thanks again for the help.

not really sure what you'd need something thats got a super high wattage. 20-50w should get you pretty much anywhere you want to go. and worse case scenario if you need more volume and your gigging is get an external cab or mic it.

If your trying to compare 150w mustang to a 20w tube amp your horribly horribly mistaken on how it works. but wattage DOES NOT equal volume. especially when comparing solid state and tube
OP i live extremely close to you. i will keep my eyes open on CL for something that you. if you see a block letter 5150, let me know...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by andrerist
not really sure what you'd need something thats got a super high wattage. 20-50w should get you pretty much anywhere you want to go. and worse case scenario if you need more volume and your gigging is get an external cab or mic it.

If your trying to compare 150w mustang to a 20w tube amp your horribly horribly mistaken on how it works. but wattage DOES NOT equal volume. especially when comparing solid state and tube

I'm horribly mistaken I will do more research this weekend, I just have a hard time cramming everything in.

@trashedlostfdup

I'll keep my eyes open for you, but I won't have all the said money until Nov 5th.
Quote by JGM258
I'm horribly mistaken I will do more research this weekend, I just have a hard time cramming everything in.

@trashedlostfdup

I'll keep my eyes open for you, but I won't have all the said money until Nov 5th

sounds good
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Good call. I'd just save up if I were you.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Buddy, I would not worry so much about the wattage of the amp if I were in your situation. Go for the amp in your budget that has the nicest tone for your need. Volume comes from a combination of many things including the amp's circuitry, wattage, and the speakers themselves. Are you even gigging? Or playing in a band? How loud do you REALLY need to be? A nice sound is better than any loud bad tone.
I still haven't found any useful sort information database through google. Do you guys mind if I start firing off nooby amp questions here?
Here is one to start: Are combo amps generally built for affordability? Would I be better off getting a $400-600 head and then a speaker cabinet as opposed to getting a $400-600 combo amp? (assuming both are tube amps)
Last edited by JGM258 at Oct 23, 2013,
My music academy has a head and cabinet combo that I thought looked nice:
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100h halfstack amp. Would this be something I should be interested in?
The store owner wants $450 for it... I'm sure I could get him down to a more fair amount. I was thinking it's worth $300 tops, what did they go for when in production?

This doesn't count as bumping, does it?
Last edited by JGM258 at Oct 23, 2013,
Quote by JGM258
My music academy has a head and cabinet combo that I thought looked nice:
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100h halfstack amp. Would this be something I should be interested in?
The store owner wants $450 for it... I'm sure I could get him down to a more fair amount. I was thinking it's worth $300 tops, what did they go for when in production?

This doesn't count as bumping, does it?

That amp is crap, pass
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
That amp is crap, pass

+1. I was generally unimpressed with the amp. I think you can do better.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
@ Wildozer
I just need to be able to play over some drums and gig in bars and such, nothing 20 watts from a decent amp shouldn't be able handle. (learned some stuff since that post)

Ok this thread is getting kind of repetitive. I will do my best to sum up in this post.

Here are my used options:
Egnater Tweaker 88w
H&K Tubemeister 36w
Krank Chadwick or Rev

New/used options:
Orange OR15H 15w compact tube guitar amp
Blackstar HT studio 20w
H&K Tubemeister 18w (how does it compare to the 36w?)
Blackstar venue series HT club 40w combo amp
Jet City Amplification JCA50H 50W

I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with any of these. I just thought I'd ask one more time for input on these amps.
Thanks!
Last edited by JGM258 at Oct 25, 2013,
While I Love the Tweaker, I just played a Tweaker 40 that was awful. I think it was a dud honestly. I also do not like the Blackstar HT line, i felt it sounded fake personally. And I had high hopes for it. I have heard nothing but good things about the JCAs. They are reasonably priced and sound great.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Interesting, the JC stuff has been getting a lot of love. I'm currently looking at a Krank REV 212 50w at $440. Seems to be a really good deal. I'm selling some stuff from another hobby (airsoft) to get funds before someone else gets it!
Last edited by JGM258 at Oct 28, 2013,
Quote by Katsock
While I Love the Tweaker, I just played a Tweaker 40 that was awful. I think it was a dud honestly. I also do not like the Blackstar HT line, i felt it sounded fake personally. And I had high hopes for it. I have heard nothing but good things about the JCAs. They are reasonably priced and sound great.

i had an original tweaker, and after the honeymoon period, i just lost interest. after you mess with all the switches, you will realize that they don't do much. they are an over glorified EQ.

nothing you couldn't do with a 10 band in a loop, adjusted a certain way. kind of a gimmick.

i have play the larger models, and the bigger ones IMO sounded better (had some more balls).

i traded it for a new JCA50 which wasn't my taste, it wasn't a terrible amp, just not for me (which is odd because most soldanos i have played i loved). i think they need the V12 speakers. i tried it through most cabs and it wasn't terrible. probably better through V12's though.

i also haven't really cared for blackstar (NOT related to their advertising which i don't agree with) but they are just mediocre. you can better for your money. new or used.

the kranks i have played i liked, but that was while ago. only consider '+' models.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Is the Rev 2x12 50W a "+" model?
What is different about the "+" models? The only + models i see are the Rev 212 100 and 120 watt models.
Quote by JGM258
Is the Rev 2x12 50W a "+" model?
What is different about the "+" models? The only + models i see are the Rev 212 100 and 120 watt models.

The 50 watt Krank combo is the Chadwick, the REV combo is the same as the rev head 100 watts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Oh, I just figured it was a 50 watt REV because it looks just like the 100w REV.
Is the Chadwick combo exactly the same as a Chadwick head but simply equipped with 2x12 speakers?
Just get a clean amp and two overdrive/distortion pedals. Something like a Jazz Chorus 55/77 or any of them really. And then get a bad monkey and a DS1 or something. Other amps I would suggest:

Epiphone Valve Junior (5 watts, but just mic it if needed)
Crate V series
Vox ac15 (used)
Vox night train (used)
Fender superchamp xd
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by JGM258
Oh, I just figured it was a 50 watt REV because it looks just like the 100w REV.
Is the Chadwick combo exactly the same as a Chadwick head but simply equipped with 2x12 speakers?

Yeah. The Chadwick is like a JCM800 with a great clean channel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm going to get the chad when my paypal transfer clears. I'm just a little paranoid about whether or not I'll be happy with it, especially since I won't be able to play it before buying it...
Quote by JGM258
I'm going to get the chad when my paypal transfer clears. I'm just a little paranoid about whether or not I'll be happy with it, especially since I won't be able to play it before buying it...

as long as it is in good working order, they are good amps. I have the successor to it the 1980 and I really like it. remember they do have a 30 day return policy on it if your not happy with it. And as long as your not looking for a modern: Slipknot, Protest The Hero type tone your fine. It does 70-90's just fine, add a boost and it will rip metal. There is one youtube video with a guy boosting a chadwick with a ZW-44 and it sounds pretty good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Peavey VK and it was pretty "meh", I decided to swap the speaker, it improved a lot. I generally don't use the gain channel unless I'm playing light rock, but the clean channel is pristine. It is known for taking pedals very well.
I ordered the Chadwick yesterday, I'll update and post pics when it arrives. I think I got a pretty good deal, $440 with tax and 2 day shipping(the only charged $12.50 for 2-day, doesn't sound right but that's what the order says).
Quote by JGM258
I ordered the Chadwick yesterday, I'll update and post pics when it arrives. I think I got a pretty good deal, $440 with tax and 2 day shipping(the only charged $12.50 for 2-day, doesn't sound right but that's what the order says).

You are going to need some thing like a TS-9/Bad Monkey if you want metal at all. Actually it is good to have one regardless.

Yeah they deff screwed up on that shipping. I'd say 2 day would have been $125.00, its a big heavy combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I don't have a problem buying pedals, I'll just be happy with the amp as is for now.

They only wanted $22.48 for two day on the site, but they only charged $12.50 (the same price as standard shipping) I talked to a representative and he said the numbers were right.