I'm playing my first gig with my band in 3 days. We will only play one song, since there are many bands there. I'm the guitarist/singer, and I am a newbie singer, but I can stay in the right key fairly good and play and sing at the same time. We will play our own song, and we will be performing for max 300 people.

Now, I was wondering, is it much different to sing with a band that has a drummer,
than by yourself and a guitarist and a bassist? I haven't singed with a drummer before, so is it much different? I don't own any singing equipment other than a mic, so it hasn't been possible.

Also, tips please. Any help is appreciated.

Didn't know where this thread belongs, so I put it here. Sorry if it is in the wrong place.
Quote by CriticalMass
I'm playing my first gig with my band in 3 days. We will only play one song, since there are many bands there. I'm the guitarist/singer, and I am a newbie singer, but I can stay in the right key fairly good and play and sing at the same time. We will play our own song, and we will be performing for max 300 people.

Now, I was wondering, is it much different to sing with a band that has a drummer,
than by yourself and a guitarist and a bassist? I haven't singed with a drummer before, so is it much different? I don't own any singing equipment other than a mic, so it hasn't been possible.

Also, tips please. Any help is appreciated.

Didn't know where this thread belongs, so I put it here. Sorry if it is in the wrong place.

Hearing yourself on stage is very key. I am not a singer myself, but I have played enough to know that when the singer can't hear them self stuff gets dicey. I don't know any particular ways you can practice or prepare for this though.

EDIT: OH! maybe record yourself singing into the mic with headphones on fairly loud, but don't mix any of your vox in to what you can hear. Then play it back and see how it sounds.
Last edited by Whoots at Oct 15, 2013,
Quote by Whoots
Hearing yourself on stage is very key. I am not a singer myself, but I have played enough to know that when the singer can't hear them self stuff gets dicey. I don't know any particular ways you can practice or prepare for this though.

EDIT: OH! maybe record yourself singing into the mic with headphones on fairly loud, but don't mix any of your vox in to what you can hear. Then play it back and see how it sounds.

Yeah I have recorded myself singing and it isn't even that bad, I'm just a bit nervous. I also monitor my singing and play along. Once I was watching a bands souncheck and the singer told the sound guy to put his singing through the middle monitor, since he wanted to hear himself.
Quote by CriticalMass
Yeah I have recorded myself singing and it isn't even that bad, I'm just a bit nervous. I also monitor my singing and play along. Once I was watching a bands souncheck and the singer told the sound guy to put his singing through the middle monitor, since he wanted to hear himself.

They for sure will try and give you some way to hear yourself, it just is not always sufficient.