Page 1 of 3
I'm not a smoker myself so I don't understand what it's like but I was with a mate today who smokes and she was dying for one all day but she's not 18 so she couldn't buy some, what is the feeling like, where do you feel it ? , also what do cigarettes actually do for you ?
I dunno. I'm a smoker, and I've never understood the actual whole "oh my god it's been like an hour I need a cigarette".

If I'm really stressed though I get that feeling, for me it's just an okay I need to get out of here, maybe have a smoke, take it easy for a minute or two and get myself rearranged. But as far as the whole "omg i need a cig" thing goes, where people HAVE to have one, I don't get it.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
It's similar to feeling hungry in the sense that you feel like you really need to go out there and get something to take the craving away.
But for your lungs
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
it's mostly characterized by really wanting a cigarette

it's a psychological thing, in the sense that i can go the whole day without a cigarette and feel great, it's only when i really dwell on it that the craving becomes a nuisance. if i'm dying because i can't have a cigarette all day i'm doing it to myself
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Oct 15, 2013,
Quote by Burgery
it's mostly characterized by really wanting a cigarette

haha. You can sort of replicate the feeling if you were to drink one or two cups of coffee every day for like 3 weeks and then don't drink coffee for a day. Like cigarettes it doesn't affect everyone the same way, but a caffeine withdraw sounds like a healthier way to replicate the feeling.
Quote by BlackLuster
It's similar to feeling hungry in the sense that you feel like you really need to go out there and get something to take the craving away.
But for your lungs

It's a psychological addiction though so you can't really compare it with hunger. It doesn't have any physical symptoms. (Maybe it's not the case if you've been a chain smoker for 40 years, don't know) It's like wanting to watch a movie. You know, you get home on a late night after work and you just have the feeling "man I'm just gonna lay down and watch a movie".
You know that feeling when you get a boner and you really need to sort it out? Like that.

I don't understand the whole "It's been an hour I NEED a cig" thing either.I'm trying to quit at the moment but I did smoke regularly at about every hour though, if I couldn't smoke or had to wait for longer than an hour it wouldn't really bother me. It was simply habit for me rather than getting any sort of 'buzz' from it.

I still think anybody that says thing like "Oh my God! I need a cig it' been an hour I'm so desperate for one yo" are just being over dramatic or trying to look cool or something.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Well, it's all you can think about. I haven't smoked all day today and I'm trying to quit. You get depressed, angry and confused - that's the worst part for me, it's usually why I go back. You can't think rationally and you hate everything, most of all yourself. After this goes on for 48 hours it gets intense. As for the craving itself, just imagine wanting something really bad and being totally powerless and wanting to cry.

I should remind you that it definitely differs from person to person. I'm used to smoking a pack - a pack and a half a day and I started pretty young, so I can see why it's harder for me
The cravings suck pretty bad if you smoke regularly and then stop. You just feel shitty. However, going a whole day or maybe two without a cig doesn't bother me too much as long as I don't focus on the craving.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Oct 15, 2013,
Quote by MetalMullet
It's a psychological addiction though so you can't really compare it with hunger. It doesn't have any physical symptoms. (Maybe it's not the case if you've been a chain smoker for 40 years, don't know) It's like wanting to watch a movie. You know, you get home on a late night after work and you just have the feeling "man I'm just gonna lay down and watch a movie".

I'm not sure what you're basing this off of but its untrue. When you're going throuh nicitone withdrawals the worse part is the physical symptoms. Your body has the worst tightness sensation, like your uncomfortable in your own skin and your bones are going to jump out of your body. I don't know how to put it into words, but quitting smoking is like having an anxiety attack for two weeks non-stop. Craving asmoke is the beginning of wwithdraws which continues to get worse until it peaks at two or three days in and then slowly declines.

Other physical symptoms are hunger, especiallly for sugar - smoking releases a form of glucose in your body that you crave when you stop, weight gain - possibly associated with the increased hunger, nictone is also an appetite suppressant. Most people gain between 5 and 10 pounds while quitting.. lung pain/cough.. when you're a smoker part of your lungs is damaged to the point that it becomes numb. That's why smokes can take huge drags while other people cough. As you stop you begin to feel all the pain you've inflicted over the time you smokes. Your lungs also start healing and reject the tar which you will cough up, sometimes with blood too. Canker sores.. when I quit my entire mouth was covered with them. Constipation, smoking often makes yoy have to shit and after your body gets accustomed to being helped to it forgets how to it to do it own its own. Headache, dizziness, feeling itchy everywhere are other physical symptoms.. you feel almost the way you do when you're really sick except instead of being tired you restless and full of way to too much energy. The energy feels negative tho

Also the way you describe craving a smoke is almost insulting to me who's quit lol.the anxiety is crippling to the point where you become desperate and reach a pathetic low where youd step on your own mother for half a drag. Like someone else said it starts getting into your head where you start having addictive reasoning and its very confusing wherenyou have thoughts that really aren't you.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Oct 15, 2013,
Quote by MetalMullet

This entire post is nonsense, where have you pulled this from!?

You're clearly not a smoker so you shouldn't really be judging on what is a craving and what isn't
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
I smoke, and not having physical symptoms is complete bullshit, as mentioned already.

I try my best to explain the physical part, but I don't even know if it feels the same for every smoker, so don't take it as hard fact.

For me it feels kinda like when your blood sugar is low, that weakness through your body, but just the sensation, not the actually weakness. As Wiegenlied pointed out, you actually get jumpy and 'full of energy'.

Someone made the coffee comparison or rather lack of when you drink a lot. It's not all that different from that, but again without the headache and/or fatigue that comes with it.

Bottom line is, physically it's a sensation through your entire body

Then there's also the mental craving, which is not very reminiscent of something. It really just takes away your ability to focus at something, but you can (or at least I can) bypass it if your focused enough, which is kind of a paradox.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 15, 2013,
What I really want to know is for people who smoke 40+ a day. Where do you even find the time?!
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
I think it's a lot like realising your still playing a videogame at 4am and hating yourself for not being tired enough to sleep and deciding that you may as well stay up and probably play the game a little while longer, even though you have shit to do in a few hours that requires you to be clear headed and well slept, just to fall asleep in an hour and wake up in the afternoon going 'shheeeiiiiitttttttt'

Pretty sure anyways
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by tobysaurus
What I really want to know is for people who smoke 40+ a day. Where do you even find the time?!

I smoked around 40 a day.
- I would smoke pretty much constantly watching TV. If I was playing a game it would essentially be whenever I have completed a quest/mission/chapter or something, or a a 'long looking cutscene'.
- If I was out in town it would be pretty much all the time, like, after every few stores I had been in (though I do browse for quite a while).
- Waiting for public transport would be 2 or 3
- I smoked 2 or 3 as soon as I woke up

Now that I look at it and having not smoked properly for about 3 weeks (I've had 4 in 3 weeks) I do wonder how I got through so many in a day but when you're actually doing it, it really doesn't feel like you're doing it as much as you are
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
I used to smoke 30 a day, for 10 years. I gave up pretty easily about 18 months ago but the desire to smoke pops up every now and again.

It's a frequent feeling where you just feel like you want one, like you feel like you want a Coke, but more pronounced and ugent.

It's hard to explain, you just want one, and it doesn't go away until you've had one. You think about it until that craving is satisfied, unless you quit, of course.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 15, 2013,
Quote by MetalMullet
Yeah, I'd say 8 out of 10 cigarettes you don't even enjoy. It's just...why not.

Pretty much. If I'm walking into town then I'll probably have 2 or 3 on the way there just because:

Also don't start smoking.

I talked to quite some people who are 40 - 50 years of age that stopped smoking for 10 - 25 years, and they all still have the urge to smoke one every now and then.

It seems once it's in your system it never really goes away, ever.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I don't smoke. Im 18 and a lot of my firends are now startiing to pick it up (some started a lot earleire. Anyways, I find smoking kinda gross. It looks cool and makes you relaxed (or so i have heard), but what's the point? I do hooka on special occasions, but I don't want smoke like 5 cigs a day lol. Oh and that lung cancer.... nope.

My dads a smoker (like 5 a days--- he's "trying" to quit). He almost has a routine (after work, after dinner, after breakfast).
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by k.lainad
I don't smoke. Im 18 and a lot of my firends are now startiing to pick it up (some started a lot earleire. Anyways, I find smoking kinda gross. It looks cool and makes you relaxed (or so i have heard), but what's the point? I do hooka on special occasions, but I don't want smoke like 5 cigs a day lol. Oh and that lung cancer.... nope.

My dads a smoker (like 5 a days--- he's "trying" to quit). He almost has a routine (after work, after dinner, after breakfast).

It doesn't relax you at all, all it does is relax you from the extra stress that builds up from needing a cigarette all the time.

I gave up last September after about 4 years of smoking, to be honest I don't think I can describe what it feels like to need a cigarette. But it's on your mind. All the time.

Routine is what makes it so difficult to quit, it attaches itself to every movement, thought and plan in your day, so when you try and give up, it's got its nasty claws into every part of your life.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
It doesn't relax you at all, all it does is relax you from the extra stress that builds up from needing a cigarette all the time.

that aint right
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Yea. Initially it makes you lightheaded but anyone who smokes regularly and thinks they smoke because it purely relaxes them doesn't understand the addiction.

It's relief from your body wanting more of the drug when it's deprived of it. You feel better because you've had nicotine when you haven't had some for a while.

People like it because it relieves the craving and they translate that subconsciously into liking it, and not the relief from the craving.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 15, 2013,
nicotine has psychoactive effects whether you're addicted to it or not
Quote by korinaflyingv
The other thing nicotine addiction does to you is put you in constant denial of the dangers of smoking.

Observe:

Quote by Burgery
that aint right

There is outspoken medical evidence that it is, and no evidence whatsoever that it isn't.

Even the drug nicotine itself is a stimulant, and that shouldn't be a relaxing experience at all, your body only makes it into one because it's been craving the drug.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
The other thing nicotine addiction does to you is put you in constant denial of the dangers of smoking.

Observe:

There is outspoken medical evidence that it is, and no evidence whatsoever that it isn't.

Even the drug nicotine itself is a stimulant, and that shouldn't be a relaxing experience at all, your body only makes it into one because it's been craving the drug.

i don't have time to get into a debate about this shit right now

you obviously have no idea what you're talking about if you think stimulants can't be relaxing. there's nothing more relaxing than mental clarity
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by Wiegenlied
I'm not sure what you're basing this off of but its untrue. When you're going throuh nicitone withdrawals the worse part is the physical symptoms. Your body has the worst tightness sensation, like your uncomfortable in your own skin and your bones are going to jump out of your body. I don't know how to put it into words, but quitting smoking is like having an anxiety attack for two weeks non-stop. Craving asmoke is the beginning of wwithdraws which continues to get worse until it peaks at two or three days in and then slowly declines.

Other physical symptoms are hunger, especiallly for sugar - smoking releases a form of glucose in your body that you crave when you stop, weight gain - possibly associated with the increased hunger, nictone is also an appetite suppressant. Most people gain between 5 and 10 pounds while quitting.. lung pain/cough.. when you're a smoker part of your lungs is damaged to the point that it becomes numb. That's why smokes can take huge drags while other people cough. As you stop you begin to feel all the pain you've inflicted over the time you smokes. Your lungs also start healing and reject the tar which you will cough up, sometimes with blood too. Canker sores.. when I quit my entire mouth was covered with them. Constipation, smoking often makes yoy have to shit and after your body gets accustomed to being helped to it forgets how to it to do it own its own. Headache, dizziness, feeling itchy everywhere are other physical symptoms.. you feel almost the way you do when you're really sick except instead of being tired you restless and full of way to too much energy. The energy feels negative tho

Also the way you describe craving a smoke is almost insulting to me who's quit lol.the anxiety is crippling to the point where you become desperate and reach a pathetic low where youd step on your own mother for half a drag. Like someone else said it starts getting into your head where you start having addictive reasoning and its very confusing wherenyou have thoughts that really aren't you.

You're just a fag. Lolz, get it?

Joking aside. Maybe I should have added that it's only my personal experience of smoking. Having only smoked full time for 6-7 years from the age of 20 might be the reasons for my "mild" symptoms. I wouldn't be surprised if your body reacts differently when you pick up smoking at an age while your body is still developing.
It's like when you really fancy a certain food for some reason.

I'm quitting this week though as I'm getting so out of breath doing simple exercises like pouring milk in my cereal
Quote by Venice King
Snatch is such a crude term - Use a better one like axe-wound or cave-opening.

Gear:
Ibanez ART300
Roland Cube 20X

I make trip-hop
https://soundcloud.com/chris-thomas-214
^ Check it out
it's not a special craving. sometimes you'll be walking down the road and you see someone smoking and you'll ask them for a lighter to light your cig even though you weren't going to smoke to begin with. sometimes you're in a club and you just kinda like the thought of telling your mates to pop out with you for a cig. sometimes you're in an annoying argument and you think that saying 'im gonna go for a cig' is an actual plausible reason to get out of there for a bit, and sometimes you're bored, sometimes you're cold, sometimes you just feel like you do when you're hungry but for cigs. you really need to know what the sensation of smoking feels like in order to know what the craving feels like. you need to be able to remember what it feels like to vacuum through the filter and have the tip go red and firey while it eats at the cig faster and then inhale it into your lungs to make it go from scratchy and old to vibrant and relieved, and then feel the warmth of the air and watch the smoke go out when you exhale, whether it's a sharp and narrow blow or a slow misty release or if it just comes out with you talking, you kinda feel it every time.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
^ you're ****ing evil
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quitting smoking is like starting to floss- MH
58-32 NFL Thread Pick Em.
I don't get the "argh I need a cigarette" feeling, like something will feel kinda crappy but you're not 100% sure what it is. Like when you're not sure if you're hungry or thirsty but just feel like something's off.

Quote by Trowzaa
Pretty much. If I'm walking into town then I'll probably have 2 or 3 on the way there just because:

This. Half my cigarette intake is from not having anything better to do, when I'm walking into town, or waiting for something to load, or some shit like that
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by MetalMullet
Uh, no. Nicotine is definitely physically addictive. It's effects are manifest via a "psychological" route. Different people have different tolerances and may experience the sensation differently. It's actually one of the most addictive drugs out there, ounce per ounce more so than heroin or cocaine.
Quote by entity0009
I don't get the "argh I need a cigarette" feeling, like something will feel kinda crappy but you're not 100% sure what it is. Like when you're not sure if you're hungry or thirsty but just feel like something's off.
It's the down-regulation of your dopamine receptors. Your brain isn't producing the "feel good" signals as well.
Quote by rabidguitarist

Stimulants can steady your nerves and activate "reward signal" pathways People usually experience this as relaxing, versus their previous state.
Page 1 of 3