Poll: Was shooting the bike theif justified?
Poll Options
View poll results: Was shooting the bike theif justified?
Justified
60 80%
Unjustified
15 20%
Voters: 75.
Page 1 of 3
So there's a video going around the internet right now. It's from a helmet cam of a biker in Brazil driving down the street. 2 thugs pull him over at gunpoint and steal his motorcycle, but before the thief can drive off, a cop who happened to be at the scene shoots him twice. The reports are conflicting, so it is unknown whether or not he lived or died. The video shows all of this, but I'm not going to post it here on UG due to its violent nature. If you want to see it, it's not very hard to find.

A lot of people, including myself, think it's totally justified. I think it's justified not because of the bike theft, but because it was done at gunpoint. If you are so willing to endanger/kill an innocent person, you lose the expectation that you won't get shot yourself. I'm noticing a lot of ultra-libs crying about how "humin lifes r worth more then a bike". I feel like these people are possibly retarded.

Discuss your feelings.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 15, 2013,
afterwards did he say

'I am batman' or any variant of?

pretty important to know before I make a judgement call like this
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Justified in this case, but could he not have achieved the same effect if armed with a tazer?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
Justified in this case, but could he not have achieved the same effect if armed with a tazer?

Tazing a guy with a gun in his hand. Seems smart.
PM me for newts
Obviously you don't want anyone to die, ideally. However, when someone commits a crime with gun in hand, it is every bit as much about protecting yourself and those around you as it is stopping the crime/thief. I believe it to be justified, albeit unfortunate.
I would do the same, but it still there is no reason to fire a gun against another person
Quote by rprdo
I would do the same, but it still there is no reason to fire a gun against another person

would the lack of a reason be enough of a reason?

queue the law and order svu music pls
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Could have been stopped without gunfire. It may have devolved to that but at the time the cop would have had a few options to take and he chose the quickest and worst of them in my opinion.
Yeah I saw that, completely justified. Especially since he points his gun at the officer first, also like the guy that got robbed flipping the shot guy off at the end of the video.
Should have, would have, could have.....an armed thief was shot by an armed undercover cop who took no chances.
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Oct 15, 2013,
Totally justified. Not saying that because of the bandwagon, but because of the whole event as it happened. As mentioned earlier in this htread, you throw away the right not to get shot at when you threaten someone with a gun, no matter what the purpose or objective.

The sad thing is that this kid was propably recruited by the criminal organisations to pull shit like this. Recruited because he doesn't spend as much time in prison. Doesn't spend as much time in prison because he's a kid, ergo: reduced sentencing. Reduced sentencing because liberals honestly believe kids aren't as responsible for their own actions as adults are.

No wonder the libs hate this.
For everyone voting "unjustified" the guy pointed his gun at the cop first. The cop didn't just roll up and gun everyone down.
Possibly justified, but given Brazilian police's absolutely appalling record of extrajudicial killings and heavy-handedness, I'd err on the side of scepticism. They've gotten better in recent years but they're properly appalling.
Quote by gabcd86
Possibly justified, but given Brazilian police's absolutely appalling record of extrajudicial killings and heavy-handedness, I'd err on the side of scepticism. They've gotten better in recent years but they're properly appalling.

Maybe watch the video? It shows pretty clearly how it all went down.
PM me for newts
Obviously justified
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by StewieSwan
Maybe watch the video? It shows pretty clearly how it all went down.

No desire to watch a dude getting shot.
Totally justified. I watched the video and I honestly do not see an alternative that would have had a better outcome than this. Also the kid didnt die, he survived according to liveleak
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
Totally justified. I watched the video and I honestly do not see an alternative that would have had a better outcome than this. Also the kid didnt die, he survived according to liveleak

He may have died in the couple days since it was uploaded.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
He may have died in the couple days since it was uploaded.

Even if he died (or subsequently dies) it does not change anything. I honestly find it justified. The dude was armed with a gun and was not afraid to use it to intimidate, or god forbid, use the damned thing.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Sounds good to me.

Live by the gun, die by the gun lolololololol
My God, it's full of stars!
I'm not sure what I think.

I mean, if the cop knew the guy had a weapon then maybe you could justify it, if the cop didn't know then as far as he knew he was shooting a guy who was stealing a bike. If that's the case, then no he didn't need to shoot the guy.
People need to watch the video before they comment on it. :|

It's like giving a review for a movie you've never seen. You only read a plot synopsis on IMDB.
The guy had a gun and possibly put a civilians life at risk.

It was justified from the gun alone though, if you're looking like you may shoot somebody then be prepared for a cap in your own ass aswell.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Only In America Will You See Such An Police Brutality States

Justified. I don't believe the kid died though, in the video it looks like he'd been hit in the elbow. I'm not sure though, the video quality is quite bad.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Who tries to rob someone when it's obvious the entire thing is going to be recorded?
Alright, I took a screencap where you can clearly see the thug pointing his gun at the police officer. Anyone still want to vote "unjustified"?

PM me for newts
He robbed someone at gun point and aimed his gun at the police officer before being shot. As sad as it is that someone was shot, it was justified.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by gabcd86
No desire to watch a dude getting shot.

I really isn't graphic in the slightest. If you weren't told in the description that the guy had been shot, it would be pretty hard to tell actually.

But yeah people should definitely watch before they comment. If a guy is going to run around threatening to use a gun though, he shouldn't be surprised if he gets shot. He was pretty clearly posing a real and immediate danger.
Quote by I.O.T.M
He robbed someone at gun point and aimed his gun at the police officer before being shot. As sad as it is that someone was shot, it was justified.

Its not sad if he deserved it
Quote by MadClownDisease
I really isn't graphic in the slightest. If you weren't told in the description that the guy had been shot, it would be pretty hard to tell actually.

But yeah people should definitely watch before they comment. If a guy is going to run around threatening to use a gun though, he shouldn't be surprised if he gets shot. He was pretty clearly posing a real and immediate danger.

bolded is all the cop needed to pull his gun. the rest of the scene was all he needed to fire it
Quote by -Mantra-
Its not sad if he deserved it

I think sad was the wrong word to use; I'm not crying about this, I just think it's a shame that somebody put themselves into a situation where they deserved to be shot.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
lol are you serious

not justified in the slightest

edit: oh wait nevermind
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Oct 15, 2013,
Quote by Burgery
lol are you serious

not justified in the slightest

edit: oh wait nevermind

This is great.
PM me for newts
Going off of the logic from the DC shooting a few weeks ago, there's no way the cops could have known if he had a bomb so the shooting is completely justified.
Page 1 of 3