Hey everyone, I noticed that I have a Pro Tone Dead Horse laying around that I haven't been using. I run a Peavey 5150 out of a Mesa Oversize Cab, LTD EC-1000 EMG 81/60 without any distortion type pedals. I'm pretty basic, just a wireless, tuner, noise gate, delay and soon to be an EQ (not written in specific order). Anyhow, my producer told me that if I run the Dead Horse through the rhythm channel of my 5150 that I might be able to get a meaner distortion/tone out of my set up than what is currently there. It sounds pretty friggin mean right now as it is, though. Obviously the best route would be to go set it up and give it a go, but I haven't had the chance to do that yet, unfortunately. In the mean time, just curious as to people's opinions on this subject or if anyone has any advice as to settings for this scenario or what have you. Thanks and fire away!
yeah using an od pedal as a boost is a pretty standard way of doing things, even if you already have a high gain amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Running a Dead Horse through the 5150 212 combo. Both lead and rhythm sound brutal with the boost. Just do it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
I'm of the opinion that 5150s and 6505s don't even sound the way they should if you're not boosting them with a Tubescreamer. Run the level maxed out and the gain very low, that will boost the preamp, which makes the sound way tighter and crisper.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hell yea, I'll try it out. So with the gain down like that, will just pressing the OD off make me have a clean sound?
If you set your amp up clean. But then you won't have the preamp gain at all. Which I would think is the point of that amp so...just screw around and see what you like.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Dec 26, 2013,
Quote by zakky18
Hell yea, I'll try it out. So with the gain down like that, will just pressing the OD off make me have a clean sound?

Your tone should be distorted both with and without overdrive pedal. You just use it for boosting the amps distortion. At least that's what most people use it like.
^ +1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?