i was thinking of getting a hh jaguar or an sg am now thinking more towards lp junior one of the reasons would be because it only has one pickup and i have heard that the magnets in the neck stop the strings vibrating as well as with just one which makes less sustan and ont as good harmonics and less tone how true is this? and also would this mean strats would not sound as good a les paul juniors
If the neck pickup is at the right height, that wouldn't be an issue. I have a guitar with a neck and bridge pickups and have ZERO issues with the neck pickup causing strings to stop vibrating.

Pickups give you options. That's all. If you have a bridge pickup, it's going to be EQ'ed differently than most neck pickups.
if you have the string height so tiny that the magnet is affecting the string's movement significantly, you need to raise the strings.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
if you have the string height so tiny that the magnet is affecting the string's movement significantly, you need to raise the strings.

Or lower the pickup a bit.

I'd never mess with my action if it's just right. I like where the strings are relative to the neck.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
man, I'm so sad I made this thread now after seeing those shake shack burgers. I would buy an extra just to fuck it while I eat its siblings. then i'd eat that one too.

I am so sorry for my mother's "escapades"...
Quote by sideslick
Or lower the pickup a bit.

I'd never mess with my action if it's just right. I like where the strings are relative to the neck.

absolutely right, don't change the string height because of that. my bad.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I think for most people, having the extra pickup is more valuable than whatever tiny advantage you might gain from not having it there.

If it's your 19th guitar, sure, why not. If you have played for 10 years and haven't used the neck pickup in the last 8, go for it. For most people, though, the tradeoff is heavily in favor of greater versatility over a small tonal benefit.
like everyone has said so far- string pull should be very minimal. dont worry about it i say.

i recently blocked up the neck cavity of my SG and put in a (very tasty) Mosrite pickup.
i enjoy the look and simplicity of single pickup guitars very much, but i find myself missing the neck pickup more and more recently, especially for the avant garde/noise punk/ post punk stuff i've been playing lately
I love how guitars look with a single pickup but I find that I really need a neck pickup to do what I need to do on a guitar. It's a bit too restrictive with a 1 pup/1 vol setup. You could probably get away with it if you had a tone pot as well but even still, I would rather a 2 pup guitar.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
My first guitar was a Peavey Patriot, with a single humbucker in the bridge, and a single volume knob.

Best. Guitar. Ever.

Also, I thought that when you adjust your pickup height just perfect, the strings go in and out of the magnetic field (relatively) and they just keep floppin' around like that?
Single pickup guitar is pretty much only for guitarists (usually metal) who absolutely never use the neck pickup for anything, even solos. Simplifies things by removing one unnecessary part you dont want in your guitar. Same thing with tone knobs. If its always at 10 why even have it in the first place. (Personally I bypass tone knobs on my guitars)

Otherwise you want them (neck pup and tone knob) for the sake of versatility. The string pull is not a valid reason to not have a neck pickup. Neck pickup should be pretty far from the strings because the strings vibrate a lot more above it than in the bridge. Also neck pickups tend to be weaker, less hot, than their bridge counterpart. Its impossible for it to affect sustain in any meaningful way unless you go nuts with the pickup heights. But if you do that you should really question yourself why you want it that high in the first place.

The pull can be a realistic problem only with super hot passive pickups with insane magnets (like X2N in my sig) which you have to screw down to pretty much same level as most neck pickups are, maybe even below.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Oct 16, 2013,
Quote by Roc8995
I think for most people, having the extra pickup is more valuable than whatever tiny advantage you might gain from not having it there.

If it's your 19th guitar, sure, why not. If you have played for 10 years and haven't used the neck pickup in the last 8, go for it. For most people, though, the tradeoff is heavily in favor of greater versatility over a small tonal benefit.

that's what i'd have thought too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ceinoman
i was thinking of getting a hh jaguar or an sg am now thinking more towards lp junior one of the reasons would be because it only has one pickup and i have heard that the magnets in the neck stop the strings vibrating as well as with just one which makes less sustan and ont as good harmonics and less tone how true is this? and also would this mean strats would not sound as good a les paul juniors

And yet, for sixty years two and three pickup guitars have existed and even dominated music. So how *important* do you think that whole business of "magnets in the neck stopping the strings vibrating..." might be to the sound of the guitar?
Do you use neck pickup? If yes, buy a two pickup guitar. If not, it doesn't matter (though I like the looks of single pickup guitars).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I have a couple of single bucker guitars, i used to like it but now i need at least two humbuckers, as leads i play on the neck pick, bridge for heavier riffing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Woah, I've never heard the magnet thing before. My thought was always because if you don't put the signal through another switch, your tone wont get dampened in any way through the different mediums that it travels through (the metal in the switch/solder.) Kind of like the same reason people bypass their pots.