So Im really interested in getting a tube amplifier for guitar, and Im looking for a versatile and basically just awesome amp to play with.

I play in a stage band(jazz), so I need warm cleans with the a bit of headroom, I do enjoy the breakup from higher volumes in solo (think Fender Super Reverb). I also play metal, like limp bizkit, Pantera and Rammstein to name a few.

My guitars are a Schecter Coupe, which is a jazz box, and an old Schecter 006 tuned to Drop Bb, so that explains my spectrum of music.

My budget is basically under 1000$, and I dont mind used or new.

Some amps that Ive come across:

Hayden Mofo 30 - has the ability for both UK and US voicing, and has plenty of meat on tap
Egnater Rebel 30 - versatile, has a recording input
Orange Dual Terror - its orange, but I dont think it has the best clean channel

At the moment Im tending towards the Hayden Mofo, but this is the place to give me suggestions and what not, so Id really appreciate your time and help Thankyou very much
Last edited by Klaptrap at Mar 11, 2014,
Where are you located? You can get a used Mesa Mark III for $900 in the USA
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Where are you located? You can get a used Mesa Mark III for $900 in the USA

Sydney, Australia, but please, tell me more about the Mark III
Quote by Klaptrap
Sydney, Australia, but please, tell me more about the Mark III

It is a great amp, but in OZ it is insanely overpriced.

You might be better off looking at a Peavey JSX combo if price is an object
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It is a great amp, but in OZ it is insanely overpriced.

You might be better off looking at a Peavey JSX combo if price is an object

I should have specified, Im looking for an amp head. Anything else?
Try the Egnater Tweaker 40. Two identical channels, shared EQ, various switches to alter the voicing of the EQ, mid cuts, gain structure, modern/vintage...

I think they are a little over $1000 here - Allans/Billy Hyde used to sell them (I'm in Melbourne), but if you hunt around a little you should be able to find one.
Saying that, mine was shipped from the States and was still less than Australian rrp.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
try looking for a jsx amp head if you cant ge tthe mesa
i got the jsx and i play in a cover(wedding band) so i needed jazzy cleans for some of the old jazz standards and some heavier tones as well(iron maiden mettalica i think i did a couple of rammstein songs with it too but my alcohol consupmtion that night clouds my memeory)
very versatile amp
and i got mine for about 400 american
Quote by Slap-happy
Try the Egnater Tweaker 40. Two identical channels, shared EQ, various switches to alter the voicing of the EQ, mid cuts, gain structure, modern/vintage...

I think they are a little over $1000 here - Allans/Billy Hyde used to sell them (I'm in Melbourne), but if you hunt around a little you should be able to find one.
Saying that, mine was shipped from the States and was still less than Australian rrp.

The Tweaker looks awesome, Il check it out! Thank you for that suggestion.
+1 to the Peavey JSX. Very nice cleans, and the Ultra channel should suit your metal tastes just fine.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
+1 to the Peavey JSX. Very nice cleans, and the Ultra channel should suit your metal tastes just fine.

Does it come in anything under 50w thats not a combo?
No it is not. You can look for an older used Peavey Ultra 1x12. The JSX is based on the Ultra. They will no doubt be more in OZ, but in the USA they are only $200-$300 used. It is a 60watt combo, but it is better to have the power and not use it all the time than need it and be stuck. The Ultra is capable of giging/jamming with others if you ever need to.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
JSX's can be hard to find over here and when they do pop up they aren't cheap. The Tweaker is a pretty good suggestion. If you can afford it a Randall RM would be another way to go, You could load it up with Fender Blackface and Mesa Recto modules. Not cheap but would fit the bill really well.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Give the Laney Ironheart a try...

60w and 120w head options.

I have the 60w head, and have used it for jazz, blues, funk, rock, pop and metal. I'm a bit of a session player round my area haha.

You get some funny looks turning up to a jazz/blues gig with a glowing red amp... But the sound is nice
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
You could probably change the colour easily enough. What's it use? LED's?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I really would eliminate the egnaters, great amps, not enough headroom for jazz. Pick up a jc120, and look for a good more of metal amp.

Or best option jsx.

The dual terror doesn't put any clean time out if you need volume.

I know that it is not ideal, but could you get your gain from a clean amp with dirt boxes?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I really would eliminate the egnaters, great amps, not enough headroom for jazz. Pick up a jc120, and look for a good more of metal amp.

Or best option jsx.

The dual terror doesn't put any clean time out if you need volume.

I know that it is not ideal, but could you get your gain from a clean amp with dirt boxes?

Yeah, Ive considered the clean amp with distortion, fuzz pedals and what not, so thats why single channel amps like the Hayden Mofo 30 came into mind
Any specific reason as to why it has to be 50 watts or less?

Because you stated that you need headroom, and higher wattage will give you more headroom. Additionally, for metal, high wattage is also a good thing. For most metal tones, you aren't getting your distortion from power tube breakup (aka, old-school rock where they cranked their 100 watt amps to 10). For most metal tones in the last 15+ years, people get their tone from preamp distortion, but the powertubes are not really breaking up. This provides a tight, edgy distortion which can still be warm and thick in its own way. Just because it may be a 100 watt amp doesn't mean it can't sound good at low volumes. For the kind of distortion I think you want, the volume does not need to be that high to create it -- since the signal is hitting the power tubes already fully-developed; the power tubes just make it louder without adding breakup. (If that makes any sense.)

I also think a JSX would be a great amp for you. When I played one I seriously considered trading my 6505+ for one, and I play extreme/black/death metal. The cleans are beautiful, it can get a nice classic rock tone with light overdrive, and the Ultra channel gets heavy enough for even what I play, especially with a boost up front. The leads are rich and singing (it was built for Joe Satriani), which is also a plus.
Last edited by KailM at Oct 17, 2013,
Quote by KailM
Any specific reason as to why it has to be 50 watts or less?

Because you stated that you need headroom, and higher wattage will give you more headroom. Additionally, for metal, high wattage is also a good thing. For most metal tones, you aren't getting your distortion from power tube breakup (aka, old-school rock where they cranked their 100 watt amps to 10). For most metal tones in the last 15+ years, people get their tone from preamp distortion, but the powertubes are not really breaking up. This provides a tight, edgy distortion which can still be warm and thick in its own way. Just because it may be a 100 watt amp doesn't mean it can't sound good at low volumes. For the kind of distortion I think you want, the volume does not need to be that high to create it -- since the signal is hitting the power tubes already fully-developed; the power tubes just make it louder without adding breakup. (If that makes any sense.)

I also think a JSX would be a great amp for you. When I played one I seriously considered trading my 6505+ for one, and I play extreme/black/death metal. The cleans are beautiful, it can get a nice classic rock tone with light overdrive, and the Ultra channel gets heavy enough for even what I play, especially with a boost up front. The leads are rich and singing (it was built for Joe Satriani), which is also a plus.

My reasoning for a sub-50w was because I thought that 100w would be way too much volume for band room situations, and that for example, 30w would be more than loud enough for outdoor/hall etc. gigs. As well as portability, a 100w head is huge.

Would a better way to go be getting a single channel amp with delicious cleans, then using pedals for distortion?
The volume difference between a 30W amp and a 100W amp is almost negligible, especially if you're using the preamp for your gain.

If you want good cleans at high volumes, you need high wattage.

Most 50W versions of heads are exactly the same or only slightly smaller than the 100W versions. Exceptions are lunchbox type amps or mini amps (which usually run EL84s, which aren't particularly great for cleans in the first place).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Klaptrap
My reasoning for a sub-50w was because I thought that 100w would be way too much volume for band room situations, and that for example, 30w would be more than loud enough for outdoor/hall etc. gigs. As well as portability, a 100w head is huge.

Would a better way to go be getting a single channel amp with delicious cleans, then using pedals for distortion?

You don't need to play cranked. There's a volume knob for a reason.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
maybe you should look for a Music Man (Leo Fender's company after he left Fender). i have a HD212 130 watts. i think mine is in the 70's-ish era.

solid pre, tube poweramp, awesome amp for cleans. it goes for days and days and days. pedal friendly as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/