I own a TS7, an SD-1 and an MXR M77. Currently using the last of these. Each one is better than the last. I got the M77 because I wanted something quieter than the SD-1.

But it's still noisy enough that I think something higher end could be better.

But what will do the job?

I'm looking at the CMAT Signa Drive and the Pro Tone Dead Horse.

Is one particularly better than the other? Other quiet options?

I know I can make my pedals quieter via modding but I would just rather have something built with top quality components and design from the get go.

EDIT: Using it as a boost and not a standalone, if it matters.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 15, 2013,
Klon KTR if you can find one

Timmy is a great pedal and is way easier to find and cheaper too.

Rawkworks pedals light drive or night drive are worth a look also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 16, 2013,
Timmy looks good price wise. Will check it out.

Guess I'm looking to spend up to $150 very tops. Used of course.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 16, 2013,
Check out the Rawkworks Light drive and Night Drive. They run $175 but are really nice pedals.

Trying to decide between the Timmy or the Light Drive for my next OD. I'm Thinking Light drive just to be different
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I was just about to post about them - I saw how they light up, and now they're way at the top of my list. So ****ing cool.

Any idea how the Light and Night differ? They say the Night is "more aggressive" so I guess that would be more suited to me.

EDIT: Guh I hate pedal demoers. Yeah, I TOTALLY want to hear a Tubescreamer pedal used as a standalone. Because that's what people use them for. Impossible to find proper demos of what I need to hear.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 16, 2013,
The Mad Professor Little Green Wonder is pretty awesome, might be worth checking that out. It's less compressed than a regular TS and keeps your lows intact. Pretty versatile with the body knob. Fulldrive 2 is also a TS-type, and readily available on the used market.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Give Maxon a try a bit expensive but worth it, the od9 pro+(and the od9) , the od808, and the vop-9 are all great pedals. I own a vop-9 which I use a boost, the dual pot on the gain knob is great, it is also really responsive to the way the strings are picked. It sounds just as well when used as an overdrive, really beefy great for jazz fusion tones.
Why not mod a pedal?

It sounds to me you having gone through a few OD's that you have specific needs.

Modding with a bit of reading can get you exactly what you want.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I'm wondering why nobody pointed out that all tubescreamers are almost the same, the difference is really minor. If you want something quiter just lower level/gain on your TS, buying new one for 150$ is really not worth it.
Quote by Reages
I'm wondering why nobody pointed out that all tubescreamers are almost the same, the difference is really minor. If you want something quiter just lower level/gain on your TS, buying new one for 150$ is really not worth it.

Hmmm good point.

It's like you want new rims for your car, so you buy the same car again but with different rims.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Reages
the difference is really minor.

Those minor differences matter a lot! Lets say for instance, the difference is a mere 5%. But there is also the same 5% in your pickups, your speakers, well in everything.

They all add up to be kind of a big deal.
bear in mind a timmy isn't a ts-type. it sounds a fair bit different.

i'm not sure, actually, I haven't really tried many of the boutique types. I think the fulltone fulldrive is an sd1-type, but don't quote me on that. the other big problem is that a lot of the more boutique versions of these things are more aimed at the type of people who will be using them as a standalone od, rather than as a boost.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't like modding because I don't want to fix someone elses mistakes or cheapness. I'd rather have something on my board representing someone who knows what they're doing.

Yes Tubescreamers are 90% the same. You don't have to tell ME that of all people. I'm concerned about getting the highest quality components, stuff not used in most off the shelf brands at this point. That's what the thread's about.

I have read the Maxon OD808 is quieter than a typical Ibanez or Boss. I will have to try one out myself sometime to see if it lives up to the hype of everyone and their mom using one (particularly with a 6505, too).

@Dave_Mc I was really just generalizing - I don't really care if it's a Tubescreamer or not, I just mean, an OD that will add a bit of clipping when I use it to boost my preamp. As opposed to just using a clean boost.

The OD side of the Fulldrive is an SD-1 type, but I have read that it's not the quietest thing. I haven't had a chance to try one.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Reages

Your DNA is only very slightly different than that of a Chimp, yet I think you would admit that the differences are pretty important, no?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^ depends on the person

^^ yeah but I was just pointing out that a timmy (the way I set it, anyway) is fairly transparent. a ts/sd1 achieves what it does also by the way it sculpts the EQ/tone in addition to the clipping.

That's not to say that you might not like a timmy, or that it might not do exactly what you want. I'm just trying to give you the info to make your own mind up.

I'd contact matt or someone like that about the noise thing. He knows way more than I do, you don't want to be spending money for nothing. I'm sure I've seen him say before that if you're only using the thing as a boost that even a ts7 is good enough, but I don't want to put words in his mouth. it could well be, for example, that the od pedal is making your peavey noisier, it might not be entirely (or even mainly) the pedal's fault. of course, if you've noticed differences with your current pedals the exact pedal you use may play a part, too.

There's a lot of hype regarding maxons, too. I'm not going to to say it's not true, because I don't have enough experience with them (or the originals), but there does seem to be a little of the corksniffer regarding people's love affair with maxons- "I'm using the *real* ibanez pedals, don't you know?". I've certainly seen the maxon fans saying things which are demonstrably untrue, such as the od808 being nicer since it's an 808 clone (it's a ts10 clone, as far as i'm aware), so it does make me wary of everything else they say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Green Rhino?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I really never founddrive pedal until I found The timmy. Also i really lik the zendrive, but it doesn't have a ton of gain but is very touch sensitive.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Sorry, what's a Maxon DDL?

Zendrive is expensive as hell. Anyone notable make a clone, or is it just one offs here and there?

Ditto for the Timmy, is it Paul Cochrane that makes them or is that a clone?

EDIT: @Dave_Mc

@Cathbard Maybe. I'll see if my GC has any.

EDIT 2: Any thoughts on the Xotic BB? Just reading around and some have stated that it's exceptionally quiet.

Or Xotic in general I guess. I'm reading now that the RC/AC would be more what I'm looking for.

EDIT 3: And just further thoughts: I'm not sure if I care if or how much the pedal colors my tone or not. I know some of these ODs/Boosters boasts how they don't color your signal, while the Tubescreamer obviously does, and as long as I get the effects of boosting my preamp like a Tubescreamer does, I don't think I care if it's transparent or not. At the end of the day (chain?), there's nothing a good ol' EQ can't fix.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 17, 2013,

I think you can get one-off zendrive clones, but as with any of those one-off type things, how good they are, it depends on who's making them, really.

paul cochrane still makes the timmy. they tend to sell out pretty quick, or there's a waiting list. Again, people will make you a clone, but again, how good they are is variable.

If you can find one and not pay too much, the danelectro v1 transparent overdrive is a timmy clone. I got that to see what it was like as I wasn't going to get on a massive waiting list for something I wasn't even sure I'd like. I'm not sure how much I'd trust their reliability (one of my other coolcats died, and that was with light home use), but for just letting you see what it's like, it might be worth considering.

EDIT: I think the xotics are TS-based, but then have that baxendall tone stack thing going on so they don't really sound like TSes. I've got the mooer clone of the RC boost (the pure boost) and it doesn't really sound like a TS, it's like a more transparent overdrive (I haven't tried any of the original xotic versions). It's quite nice, but I prefer my timmy clone. This is probably a massive oversimplification, but I think the pure boost would work better for those lower gain tones, it's a little polite whereas the timmy will just give you a massive boost if that's what you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 17, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
I don't like modding because I don't want to fix someone elses mistakes or cheapness. I'd rather have something on my board representing someone who knows what they're doing.

Yes Tubescreamers are 90% the same. You don't have to tell ME that of all people. I'm concerned about getting the highest quality components, stuff not used in most off the shelf brands at this point. That's what the thread's about.

I have read the Maxon OD808 is quieter than a typical Ibanez or Boss. I will have to try one out myself sometime to see if it lives up to the hype of everyone and their mom using one (particularly with a 6505, too).

@Dave_Mc I was really just generalizing - I don't really care if it's a Tubescreamer or not, I just mean, an OD that will add a bit of clipping when I use it to boost my preamp. As opposed to just using a clean boost.

The OD side of the Fulldrive is an SD-1 type, but I have read that it's not the quietest thing. I haven't had a chance to try one.

I build you one? Shouldn't be more than $100 plus shipping, and the component quality will absolutely destroy anything any boutique builder uses. Can also tweak it to your liking.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^^ Pure boost? Does the AC have more grit?

^ That would be fantastic. I'll shoot you a PM.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Mod or get modded one of your pedals, maybe the Sd-1. You mentioned CMATMODS, I sent my TS9DX to him and had him do the Monte Tri-gain mod. He put a socket so I could swap op amps and I eventually put a Burr Brown in place of the JRC.

He's really cool, helped a lot, and always answered my questions fast. He also added a footswitch and volume pot that I use as a boost. I can't remember how much db's of boost, possibly 12db, but dimed it gets a lot louder.

TS9DX Modded
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
Last edited by leondb at Oct 17, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
^^ Pure boost? Does the AC have more grit?

I assume so, but I haven't tried it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you ask nicely, Matt might send you one of his Timmy boards. I have some of his earlier incarnations that has the bass knob arse backwards but it sounds wonderful. If you can cope with a backwards knob I can send you one of those.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i have a signa drive and i dont think i will ever get rid of it. its basically 3 pedals in one.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1554211&highlight=signa

wow...my board changed a bunch since then. haha. but yeah i love it. the middle setting seems to be the most transparent, then top, 3rd bottom, but its most like a tube screamer and tube screamers are not supposed to be transparent.....thats why they do what they do.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
i have a signa drive and i dont think i will ever get rid of it. its basically 3 pedals in one.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1554211&highlight=signa

wow...my board changed a bunch since then. haha. but yeah i love it. the middle setting seems to be the most transparent, then top, 3rd bottom, but its most like a tube screamer and tube screamers are not supposed to be transparent.....thats why they do what they do.

But how quiet is it? That's my primary concern. I don't really care about the tonal variations that much, as long as it boosts like a TS boosts.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
...well i would have to say ti depends how it is set just like any other pedal. different variations of gain/level/ other pedals, power supply, amp etc are factors.

i would say that it is comparable to a TS in general. i take it that you would be talking about the most tubescreamer like setting, gain low level up.

with humbuckers, boosting a clean or crunch channel on my tweaker, about par for an OD on the noise level. my amp gets hummy when i have a channel set for higher gain, and start boosting it, more pedals the worse (OD and a clean boost on top). in single coils on my carvin my amp is almost too noisy to use with those 2 pedals boosting on the 2nd channel.

something i need to work on. generally i use that for a "high gain" application im using humbuckers anyways, cuts down on the noise substantially. still buzzes.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by mmolteratx
This is my idea.

wah what's that bit in the middle with the threshold (?) control and the diodes? EDIT: ah here's a thought- this is probably wrong, but are the diodes maybe like a rudimentary noise gate? I seem to remember some of the older boss high gain distortions had basic noise control like that.

also you should put it in a solid brass case. and maybe label it with a dymo.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 20, 2013,
the barber gain changer is probably one of the best pedals ive come across in a while. never thought i would say i may be better than a signa drive but....i may have to buy one
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic