After months of doing all the hard work, I asked my girlfriend if she even wanted this band. She told me it was just a "high school dream" that she "lost love for". So of course, she's out (I still don't understand why it hurt me when she said that tbh).

Anyway, I'm essentially back to square one. I play guitar, she sang/bass, need a violin, keys, and drum. Our plan was to just make music alone until we move to Texas and look for 4 more band members there. Now that it's just me again, that 6 piece hopeful is probably gonna be 7. All in all I'm not really sure where to begin. I can write music still ig but I can't sing (even when I hit a right note my voice makes the ladies go "ew") and I haven't written lyrics in ages so a huge part of the creative team is gone (ie, no music can be written for a while, probably not before I go looking for another singer either).

Any advice from people in this situation before? (feel like I'm whining though haha lemme know if I am)
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
Ayo, like a phoenix, rise from the ashes stronga than eva brosif
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
How so no music can be written? I don't write my music for anything. I just write music because I enjoy it. Just write music and see what happens. When you find new band members, you can show your songs to them and see what they think about them. Not every song needs to be used for your band or any other project. I don't think you should overthink when you write music.

Just find some guys to play with and then decide about your music. The other guys will also have ideas so again, don't overthink. It's pretty likely that not everything will happen like you planned, especially if you have everything planned before you even know who you will be playing with.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
guitarist5477: dude wtf XD
atza: yeah guess that's pretty rare
Maggara: advice noted.

Next question, should I be worried about all future mates? I mean, music isn't exactly in everyone's lifeblood like us. How does one separate the authentic ready-to-pay-the-dues musician from a fleeting musical summer soldier (someone please catch that reference )
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR

Quote by MaggaraMarine
Damn dude you're in college. Get off your ass and find other college guys to play instruments.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
lol Did I mention it's a Christian university? Everyone here plays guitar but the big thing here is Folk and Christian Contemporary (I plan on epic ethereal symphonic power metal with hints of goth and alt rock...but I'm just gonna say Symphonic Metal of course). I'm talking to an older guitarist (played for 14 years now) but he's too busy to do anything other than show me some tips n tricks. Met this gospel/r&b guitarist the other day and we're gonna meet up to play soon.

The plus side, though, is that the music program is world famous. I just need to get in and I'd meet this world class guitarist named Christopher Tevez to teach me from the ground up. Now that I think of it, there's quite a few trained pianists, violinists, and singers in the school of music. I can possibly find 4 outta the 6 members I want if I network right ig. After that, finding a bassist won't be hard, though a drummer might be (as usual).

But I can worry about that later than sooner ig, my main issue atm is what I mentioned last post about people who actually want to spend all that time working on the unit. "summer soldiers & sunshine patriots" and all that jazz

Quote by DBKGUITAR

Quote by MaggaraMarine
Last edited by eric_wearing at Oct 16, 2013,
^^^^ So you are the only person in the entire college who likes symphonic metal? How did you figure this out?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Of 4000 students? I'm pretty sure I'm not, I know many who like it here; it's just the ones that like it aren't interested in learning any instruments or jumping into a band or even jamming if they do know how to play.

I did mention that I'm jumping into the music program soon. Though the norm on campus is folk and ccm, the program is classical based so I'm sure I'll meet some people
Quote by eric_wearing
Now that I think of it, there's quite a few trained pianists, violinists, and singers in the school of music. I can possibly find 4 outta the 6 members I want if I network right ig. After that, finding a bassist won't be hard, though a drummer might be (as usual).

Quote by DBKGUITAR

Quote by MaggaraMarine
well theres your problem. unless you plan on your band becoming a worship band, or some lame straight-edge metalcore band like "for today" (though very unlikely), you shouldnt look for band mates at a christian place

dont take it the wrong way because im a christian too, but looking for metalheads in religious places is like looking for metalheads in the ghetto; they exist, but youre better off looking elsewhere
Well I see what you mean lol but most ppl are here cos of the free scholarships though, myself included. Only about 40% are here by faith tbh, heck most ppl here are gay (though they make up half of that 40%).

Remember that I said the university's music program is world famous? I'm not trying to promote my school at all, they have one of the best music schools in the South! About 30% of the students come for the music program (these #s are close but not exact) I'm sure someone will help, networking if nothing else being that symphonic metal is second only to neo-classical in terms of proximity to classical music.

Quote by DBKGUITAR

Quote by MaggaraMarine