Not a new gear thread per se...

Was at a store yesterday and saw a 4w 1x10 tube combo for a steal of a price used. Thought because it had selectable wattage, I could crank it on the 1/4w setting into over drive/distortion. I can do this with a neighbour's mini version that has a 6" speaker.

Long story short, way too loud for the dogs to crank on the 1/4 watt setting. Does the extra 4" make that much of a difference or am I missing something else? Not sure I am going to keep it. I know I can buy a pedal, but my VT takes pedals well. It does sound nice the new one.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
^Making you 3x louder, right?

Dude, guitar amps are loud. If you wanted something quites, you should have taken up painting,
Quote by flexiblemile
yes speaker size matters because bigger ones move more air (that's what she said). However strictly speaking, it's not pushing more decibels.

But also the relation between watts and decibels is not linear.

Here, have fun with this

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/power/Watt_to_dBm.htm

Yes, it is.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I knew it would be louder, I didn't realize how loud. So will a distortion pedal drive the volume up while it is running? I like loud. The dogs and fiancé don't. I thought a 1/4 watt would be quiet enough. I didn't realize how much bigger the 10" was in relation to the six.i thought I could push or to distortion like I could the 6" version.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
I didn't realize how much bigger the 10" was in relation to the six.i thought I could push or to distortion like I could the 6" version.

I probably would have thought the same thing in your position.

Speaker size really makes that big of a difference?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Assuming similar speakers otherwise, it's all about speaker cone area, doubling the area increases the volume by 3db, which is equivalent to doubling the power. A 10" speaker has about 3x the area that a 6" has, which means it's going to increase the measured output by more than 3db (too lazy to calculate it exactly right now...).

So yeah, it makes a big difference.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Well soon I am going to have 10x12 and 1x15... is that too much cone area?

I lied the 15" is broken... killer cabinet though!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

I rattled crap upstairs with the 1watt or 4 watt setting. Probably the 4 watts. My fiancé was not impressed as she was napping.

So a distortion pedal will just crank the volume further?

I'm debating whether this is a realistic option or not. Our 16 year old dog just laid down and whimpered. He's pretty deaf, mind you this was on one of the higher wattage settings.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Oct 16, 2013,
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Well soon I am going to have 10x12 and 1x15... is that too much cone area?

I lied the 15" is broken... killer cabinet though!

Omg....

Arby, that makes total sense.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
So a distortion pedal will just crank the volume further?

That depends how you use it. If you use the distortion pedal for all your dirt, then you can set the overall volume to whatever you want it to be.

The pedal will (usually) have an output control as well, so that can be used to further control your overall volume.

Presume you're talking about an AC4? FWIW, I used to have the stack version with the 1x12 cab & I used to use it on the 1w setting all the time without it being too loud, although I would switch down to the 1/4w setting later in the evening. Never had any complaints from the neighbours, but then everyone's house is different.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Yeah, it is the AC4tv. I posted a comment about something I bought once before and was accused of disguising it as a NEw Gear Day thread.

Ok good to know. It could be we're just not use to the tube fullness. If it didn't bug the dogs, I wouldn't care as much.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Recommended threads
Vox AC4TV
GURREN LAGANN
Last post:
by gerardwayne