Page 1 of 2
Been using iPods for years, but I'm fed up with Apple's customer service. And incidentally, my gen 6 iPod classic just broke. So...

Anyone have any suggestions for a 80GB (or more) alternative to the iPod touch? I really am considering ditching iPods and just using Winamp. But I already have 40GB of music, and that keeps expanding. So, what are my options in the US?

I don't really care what kind of OS it uses, as long as audio quality is good.

Edit:
Please include the model with your suggestion. Also, if it doesn't have at least 64GB of memory and isn't cheaper than an iPod touch (at least, cheaper used), I'm not interested.

Edit2:
inb4 "get a smartphone". That's not an option, until my current phone plan runs out in 1.5 years.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 16, 2013,
iPhone
iPad
iMac
iWork
iWeb

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Sansa Clip + with a 64 gb sd card and Rockbox. Not a whole lot of storage, but they're really cheap and portable. If you're willing to use you computer for music at home, it should be enough.
Quote by uziyourillusion
someone really needs to make a competent audiophile thread, i have many questions of my own.

lol

you really want to be an audiophile? you shouldn't even ask anything regarding portable music players.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Forget headphones. Just grab a 32gb SD card, throw your music on it, carry it over your head and rock it old-school:

Quote by Xiaoxi
iPhone
iPad
iMac
iWork
iWeb

Fuck your fanboyism, Xiaoxi.

Quote by anvil is god
Sansa Clip + with a 64 gb sd card and Rockbox. Not a whole lot of storage, but they're really cheap and portable. If you're willing to use you computer for music at home, it should be enough.

64GB is more than enough storage for next year or two.

I'll look into that. Thanks.

Quote by uziyourillusion
take a look at Cowon players, i hear they are nice

Is there a Cowon model that is 64GB or more? Because largest Cowon player I've found on the web is 32GB.
Those don't exist anymore.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Fuck your fanboyism, Xiaoxi.

Apple rulez

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
lol

you really want to be an audiophile? you shouldn't even ask anything regarding portable music players.

tahts why we need one
Quote by Xiaoxi
Apple rulez

Hell yeah. My favorite is when I use my iPhone to access google... oh wait.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Hell yeah. My favorite is when I use my iPhone to access google... oh wait.

I have Chrome on my iPhone, checkmate
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I have Google on my iPhone. As in their entire infrastructure. Rapemate.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I have Chrome on my iPhone, checkmate

The joke

Your head
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Xiaoxi
I have Google on my iPhone. As in their entire infrastructure. Rapemate.

That's because your family makes the iPhone.

Quote by VanTheKraut
The joke

Your head

My dick, your ass, 7pm.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

My dick, your ass, 7pm.

I better hurry up and get ready, don't want to be late!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
My dick, your ass, 7pm.

Miss Scarlet, in the library, with the lead pipe.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
If you have a smartphone that uses a Micro SD card, can't you just get a 64GB card?

If I had a smartphone, yes.
My ipod nano broke the other day and was unresponsive, I spent 7 quid on a remote control and now it works.

I also tried it on my 30gb ipod that broke 5 years ago and now that works again too.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
My ipod nano broke the other day and was unresponsive, I spent 7 quid on a remote control and now it works.

I also tried it on my 30gb ipod that broke 5 years ago and now that works again too.

Could you state what "remote control" you're referring to?
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Could you state what "remote control" you're referring to?

What's the problem with your ipod?

Mine weren't bricked, they still turned on but were completely unresponsive. Either the click wheels or something on the logic board was broken. I found out that the nano still worked in an ipod dock using the remote control (although it only had a few buttons and could only turn it on and shuffle it)

There is only one option that will work, all of the others either require the ipod to be in a speaker dock or attached to some car cigarette lighter shit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HNL5KE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has an infrared receiver that plugs into the ipod with a headphone socket on, and a remote control with all the buttons you need. I think it's supposed to work for all models.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
What's the problem with your ipod?

Mine weren't bricked, they still turned on but were completely unresponsive. Either the click wheels or something on the logic board was broken. I found out that the nano still worked in an ipod dock using the remote control (although it only had a few buttons and could only turn it on and shuffle it)

The logic board is probably broken. At first, I thought that the OS was malfunctioning. So, I tried to install Rockbox on it, but there was an error during installation. In any case, it's unusable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HNL5KE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has an infrared receiver that plugs into the ipod with a headphone socket on, and a remote control with all the buttons you need. I think it's supposed to work for all models.

Hmm...might be worth a try. Thanks.

Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
just get a smartphone

I'm sure I will. Just not now.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The logic board is probably broken. At first, I thought that the OS was malfunctioning. So, I tried to install Rockbox on it, but there was an error during installation. In any case, it's unusable.

Hmm...might be worth a try. Thanks.

Does it turn on, and have you been able to restore it?

If yes then it's worth a try, if not then it's probably a waste of 7 quid.

I've seen a lot of people with the same problem as I had looking up troubleshoots online, no-one seems to have had the same idea- they usually go to get it fixed which can be pretty expensive.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Sony Walkman stuff is pretty good, my dad has a small one. Might want to check out zune.

A few years back there were TONNES of mp3 player alternatives, but apple seem to have killed the competition it seems.

For the record I've not had any problem with my ipod. I've had two in my life in the last 7 or so years. Honestly the life is better than most phones as far as I can tell. I'm thinking about a third soon simply because I need something bigger than 16gb.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Oct 16, 2013,
Quote by necrosis1193
Miss Scarlet, in the library, with the lead pipe.

That's Yahtzee!
Quote by rabidguitarist
Does it turn on, and have you been able to restore it?

If yes then it's worth a try, if not then it's probably a waste of 7 quid.

I've seen a lot of people with the same problem as I had looking up troubleshoots online, no-one seems to have had the same idea- they usually go to get it fixed which can be pretty expensive.

It turns on, and it gets probably halfway through the motions of resetting. It doesn't actually go through the process of restoring. If I could just restore it to factory specs, that'd be great. lol
Can't believe (ONLY A FEW PEOPLE) suggested Zune. My buddy had one (Zune HD was the model I think?) and the thing was awesome.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Last edited by Alpha_Wolf at Oct 16, 2013,
Quote by Alpha_Wolf
Can't believe nobody's suggested Zune yet. My buddy had one (Zune HD was the model I think?) and the thing was awesome.

I suggested it, fool
My God, it's full of stars!
I love my Zune HD so much, I bought another one when they announced that they would be cancelled to have a backup.

Still haven't had to use it.
Quote by Dreadnought
I suggested it, fool

Exactly. Nobody.

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Page 1 of 2