I have a Marshall TSL 122 combo and play Classic rock covers. Even though it's a 3 channel amp, I'd like to have the option of adding more gain and sustain for solo's using my overdrive pedal.
My question is, where's the best place to place it in the chain? after a wah in front of the amp? or would it be better in the effects loop?
I've tried both but it seems too loud in the loop, but in front of the amp there's plenty of sustain but not much gain in volume.......I know it's all down to personal taste etc but i'm still not really getting the sound I'd like........
Any ideas please?
How did you have it setup in the loop? In the loop, you might not want the generic boosting settings (no gain, all volume). In front, on an already really overdriven sound, you're not going to get much more volume.

Can't you use channel 1 as clean channel, channel 2 as crunch channel and channel 3 as solo channel with the volume higher than on the crunch? Or do you need 3 channels in another way?
Quote by I K0nijn I
How did you have it setup in the loop? In the loop, you might not want the generic boosting settings (no gain, all volume). In front, on an already really overdriven sound, you're not going to get much more volume.

Can't you use channel 1 as clean channel, channel 2 as crunch channel and channel 3 as solo channel with the volume higher than on the crunch? Or do you need 3 channels in another way?

I usually have it set up rhythm on channel 2 (crunch channel) and solo's on channel 3 (lead channel) but I just wanted to add a bit more sustain for a few of the songs.
In the loop I used it with delay, flanger and chorus already in the loop and just switched it in when I needed that extra volume and sustain but it didn't really work the way I wanted it to.
I think it's best if I use it in front and boost the volume from the amp channel. That way I'll have the extra volume plus the sustain too.