Played this chord, and I didn't know what it was, so here it is:

e|----
B|-6--
G|-5--
D|-6--
A|-6--

Thanks in advance
Well, the notes are D#, G#, C, & F. The way I would think of that chord is a G#6 in an inversion, which can be notated as a slash chord, like so:
G#6/D#
-- This indicates that it is an a G#6 chord with D# in the bass. It's kind of an awkward voicing, but it sounds ok. Alternatively, depending upon the key, this could also be an Ab6/Eb. (That would be the enharmonic equivalent chord.)
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Oct 17, 2013,
I think it's Ab6

I know it's an inversion of Ab major with a major 6th, I just can't remember the proper way to name the different 6th chords. It's either Ab6, Abmaj6, or Abadd6. Hopefully someone else will explain.

edit: I meant Ab every time I said Eb, I have now fixed this
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Oct 16, 2013,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Well, the notes are D#, G#, C, & F. The way I would think of that chord is a G#6 in an inversion, which can be notated as a slash chord, like so:
D#/G#6
-- This indicates that it is an a G#6 chord with D# in the bass. It's kind of an awkward voicing, but it sounds ok. Alternatively, depending upon the key, this could also be an Eb/Ab6. (That would be the enharmonic equivalent chord.)

I believe the bass note is actually notated on the right side of the slash, and the root on the left. Thus it would be G#6/D#.
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
Quote by MattyBoy 1337
I believe the bass note is actually notated on the right side of the slash, and the root on the left. Thus it would be G#6/D#.

Gah, dammit. I knew that didn't look right. Thanks. I'm over-tired; I apologize.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I think it's Ab6

Yeah I'm with you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by The4thHorsemen
I think it's Ab6

I know it's an inversion of Ab major with a major 6th, I just can't remember the proper way to name the different 6th chords. It's either Ab6, Abmaj6, or Abadd6. Hopefully someone else will explain.

edit: I meant Ab every time I said Eb, I have now fixed this

The proper way to name a major chord with a major sixth is simply as a sixth chord.

I.E. Ab6 = AbMajor with an added major sixth above the root (Ab) = Ab C Eb F

It is enharmonic with an inversion of the relative minor m7 chord.

So C6 is like an Am7 in first inversion
C6 = C E G A
Am7 = C E G A

Thus when you are using a minor seventh off the vi chord you need to be careful if you start inverting the chord because it will end up sounding like a I6 chord instead.

As for the name of the chord in question it has an Eb in the bass.

Ab6/Eb
or

Fm/Eb

Though this thread should really have been posted in the "Name that chord thread." Hence thread closed.
Si