I really like the idea of multi-scale guitars, particularly on something like an 8 string which I'm thinking of getting. I've got a Blackjack C-8 but I have the sudden urge for a custom/semi-custom and fanned frets makes a lot of sense to me. My old 7 string was 27" and the high strings were really tinny at tension as a result. EDIT: I'd like something like 25-27 or maybe 26-28.

Anyway I'm wondering for users of multi-scale guitars, was it a weird feeling and/or did it take some time to transition into being comfortable with? I feel like just going all out on a custom with fanned frets having never played one could end in disaster but the only way I'll be able to try out a fanned guitar would be to buy one. What do?
Last edited by Disturbed_EMG at Oct 16, 2013,
I can't speak to multi-scale guitars, but fanned frets are awesome. Everything is in perfect tune/intonation. It just sounds "right".
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
I can't speak to multi-scale guitars, but fanned frets are awesome. Everything is in perfect tune/intonation. It just sounds "right".

Not exactly. The intonation is "closer" but still not exact. The purpose of fanned frets is for more comfortable and even string tension. Longer scale for the lower strings, shorter on the top. For exact temperament check out the true temperament system
http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php?go=2&sgo=6
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
Quote by stonyman65
I can't speak to multi-scale guitars, but fanned frets are awesome.

Fan Fret guitars *are* multi-scale.

Rondo's one of the very few companies that have undertaken to provide fan fret guitars at other than custom guitar prices. Prior to their involvement, most fan frets came from folks like Novax, and a guitar was well beyond $2K. That's still the case. Not only does Rondo have a pretty good assortment in their Agile Pendulum series, but they also have their "semi-custom" ordering process, which allows you to order from a wide variety of features and finishes: http://www.rondomusic.com/customquote.html

Wait time is usually around 4 months, but I'd caution you to really think your order through. What seems like a brilliant idea sometime in the middle of the night might be a bit less desirable in the light of day. Sort of like taking home the last wench sitting at the end of the bar at closing time.
I've played both fans and truetemperament necks. Both serve kinda different purposes. Fans make it more comfortable to play on low strings (and play aggressive too) without using humongous strings to achieve it, and help your wrists not stress too much at extreme positions of the fretboard.

True temperament on the other hand... It's more of a sound/tone difference than feel/touch one.
"I feel like just going all out on a custom with fanned frets having never played one could end in disaster but the only way I'll be able to try out a fanned guitar would be to buy one. What do?"

I got my first FF about 10 months ago, and I'm happy to report little to no problems with the fanning, it's where your hand naturally wants to go when it's not restrained by parallel frets.

I got a custom 7 string acoustic from Emerald Guitars, and quickly found that I'd been concentrating so much on integrating that 7th string into my playing, I hadn't even noticed the fan. Mine is pretty radical, too; a really visible splay.

Good luck,EMG, I promise you it won't end in disaster
I can see more usage out of an 8 string multiscale than a 7 string multiscale because the neck is quite a bit thicker. 7 strings feel pretty comfortable to me as they are.

I've always heard they are actually more comfortable because the frets are angled in a more natural position than traditional frets. I've bounced around the idea of getting a fanned fret 8 string because my 27" scale is a little stiff on the high strings.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio