Not sure if the most appropriate spot to ask this, however seemed like one of the better ones. I was just curious as to what brand and size (thin, medium, heavy or some other measurement scale) picks players on here prefer. Right now I am using some left over Fender standard white heavy picks from when I played bass. They work however at times is like playing like a piece of PVC pipe. I know a lot of players prefer thin picks because they are easier to strum with and give a little more. But often break and ware down faster. Everything has it's faults but looking for the lesser of the evils and some opinions.
Ask 10 guitarists this question and you'll get 15 opinions, lol. All I can say is that for me (playing for around 10 months so far), I much prefer thin picks for strumming. I've used the Fender thin picks, but really like the Cool thins (0.5 mm) that have the logo printed in a rubbery coating. This makes it easier to keep my grip on the picks. For individual string picking, I like the Cool medium (0.75 mm). I find that the thin pick has too much "give" when I try to pick accurately. That said, there are people here who are way more experienced than me, so take my opinion for what it is, a beginner's opinion.
Last edited by jds2 at Oct 17, 2013,
I like to change it up from time to time but usually I run with thicker picks (1.2mm) & thin (0.8mm), I'm actually really enjoying a wood pick at the moment. It's a chunky pick but once you start wearing it down it evens out by a fair margin. It also really shows how your picking style changes from up/down strokes, sound is very well balanced as well.
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
Quote by JGM258
The sharper tip on these pics helps my accuracy. They are the best ones I have used so far, but like the above poster, everyone will have their opinions.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DUN-47P3N-LIST?SRC=D0301DT0HAMS0000&utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=feed&

have you tried the ultex version of these? i recommend them. slips a bit less, and the attack is a little quieter.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by klejst
Not sure if the most appropriate spot to ask this, however seemed like one of the better ones. I was just curious as to what brand and size (thin, medium, heavy or some other measurement scale) picks players on here prefer. Right now I am using some left over Fender standard white heavy picks from when I played bass. They work however at times is like playing like a piece of PVC pipe. I know a lot of players prefer thin picks because they are easier to strum with and give a little more. But often break and ware down faster. Everything has it's faults but looking for the lesser of the evils and some opinions.

Green (.88 mm) - Purple (1.14) Dunlop Tortex picks for me.

the tortex picks have pretty decent grip imo while retaining the ability to adjust my grip while playing (I don't like the feeling of those knobby grip picks) and I like the shape of them.

I mostly play the green ones, which are .88 mm. I like med - thicker picks because I feel I can be much more articulate and the sound seems more responsive to me. I've tried those big stubbys but those were just to cumbersome and were tapered so the string would roll around the pick instead of a sharp pluck (the same issue I have with paper thin picks)

basically I feel I have the greatest control over my articulation with them. but what feels good to one person might not to another.

once upon a time I used blue star picks. lol but they kept breaking because of the hole
Last edited by Downfall360 at Oct 17, 2013,
I get everyone's preference is different, but thanks for the comments. I was just generally asking for opinions of different picks players enjoyed to use and would recommend checking out.
This seems like an appropriate place for this, from the Rules sticky...

"What strings/picks does everyone use?"
We're all sick of these threads by now. If you're really interested, use the search bar to find a few dozen old versions of these threads.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I use to use planet wave .70mm picks, but I recently picked up a picks and stones 2mm Brazilian Agate Traditional grip pick.

Kind of surprised no one has said Jazz III's yet...

Anyways I use Dunlop Carbon Fibre Jazz III's. Quite stiff and you can hybrid pick like a boss. I can transition from chugg-chugg to more clean intricate hybrid picked arpeggios very easily. I also have smallish hands so the smaller size is nice.

Good ol' finger picking is another way to go for me as I'm not too much of a sweep picker.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame