Hey y'all!

I have a VOX AC4TV (1 x 12AX7 (pre) / 1 x EL84 (power) )
I bought it about 2.5 years ago.

I know valves inside amps are disposable. So how can I check if they need replacement ?

Thanks!!
Does the amp work fine?

You don't need replacements.

However, you may want to play with different preamp tubes for a different sound. I'm really liking a long plate JJ in V2, and plan on getting a NOS 5751 as a phase inverter and throwing something really special in V1
Quote by badfish_lewis
Whenever you hear a really really loud pop and smoke fills the air

I like your style!!!!
It's not quite accurate, though. Tubes can start to go bad, microphonic, or just generally sound crappy without ever letting you know with a loud bang. The amp might still work just fine, too.

Really the best way to check is to get a new set of tubes and swap them out. You should have a set of spares anyway, so if it turns out the old ones were fine, you've got backups. Preamp tubes especially can just start to sound dull after a few years and it often happens slowly enough that people don't notice anything is wrong until the tube dies completely.
Simplest way to know when to change them that I go by is simply: when you notice that your sound is different than it used to be, and you don't like it anymore.

Otherwise, you'll know. Because your amp won't turn on because your power tubes will have died.

Further clarification, tone changes usually indicate dying preamp tubes, volume drops and fluctuations usually indicate dying power tubes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
if they are microponic (which is how most of my preamp tubes die) tap the tubes with a pencil eraser noise and hear loud noise when you tap.

color is no way unless you see redplating (which is obvious you will know when you feel it)

i think i have 10-12 tube amps (hybrid musicman and ampeg included) i have only lost like maybe three preamp tubes and one set of 6L6's in the last few years).

the only ones i am ever concerned about are kt88's. they are expensive suckers. even from JJ.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/