So I have a les paul with probuckers in it, and I like most of the sounds I can get from the stock pickups, because they coil split, but I would like to get a hotter sound out them sometimes.

I'm a college student, and I use this les paul in one of the jazz groups at school, occasionally play blues with some friends, but prefer to play/practice metal. so I don't want to simply replace them with actives.

I noticed the alexi emg was a passive pickup with a gainboost and eq. and I like bodom so I thought a similar route would be a good option for my les paul, because I could just turn the boost off to play at school.

so

I am aware its not the same as a set of 81/85s, but it would be closer right?

also does anybody have experience with and know if a gainboost can be assigned to a tone knob? because my 2 volume pots are already push pull for the coil split.

and can this even be wired to act on both pickups on push pull, but have turning the pot act on 1 pickup only (les paul individual pick volume and tone)

if anybody wants to take a whack at any of those questions it would be much appreciated

oh and idk if the model matters but its an Epi Les Paul Custom Pro, and I'm open to suggestions on other boost/eqs besides the afterburner (which doesn't have an eq does it?)
Before you wire something into your guitar, try a compressor first. I find it helps get the active sound without having to modify your guitar.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
i had an afterburner at one point, yes it increases output, but it is so loud and noisy that if you weren't playing for a second time it just hissed.

i am not too up on compressors, but Jhachey22 knows what he is doing.

maybe an EQ in the loop for a boost? then you can balance the frequencies if you want to boost. need violum and gain controls really. MXR 10 band.

or if you want to go out front get a timmy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
yeah an od pedal used as a boost (or even a clean boost pedal) will achieve similar results without modding your guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah an od pedal used as a boost (or even a clean boost pedal) will achieve similar results without modding your guitar.

+1 and the pedals are not near as noisy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i didn't have a great experience with the afterburner either. noisy, pain in the ass to switch, and at the end of the day didn't sound that great; just added a kind of mushy character to the overall sound. you'd be much better off with a good overdrive because you can tighten up the bass more and have some control over how much and what you're boosting.

No I don't think you can use the afterburner as a tone knob when it's off. Just an all-around fail of a product.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i had an afterburner at one point, yes it increases output, but it is so loud and noisy that if you weren't playing for a second time it just hissed.

+311

Useless piece of gear.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X