Looking at this Haydn piece in f-sharp minor: http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/1/1b/IMSLP05808-Haydn_-_Op._50__No._4.pdf

In the sixth measure of the third system (m. 20), there's a C-major chord in first inversion. You would expect a proper V instead, after the accentuated IV, and thus it creates a 'cold shower' effect. But what is it called in this context?
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Last edited by 08L1V10N at Oct 17, 2013,
At that stage, the music sounds more like A major than F# minor, essentially everything bb13-27 is just movement between E major and A major, which is preparing for the new key at 27.

Some people would call the C major chord a "borrowed" chord from the parallel minor, some might call it a flattened mediant. I don't think either is particularly in touch with Haydn's thinking, I think it's much better to merely see the C natural as part of a chromatic line D - C# - C - B, which you see by putting the quaver upbeat figures in brackets.

Really cool piece, though, the last movement is pretty awesome.