Ok so I used to play a Peavey Vypyr 100 with a red rectifier setting with no stompbox or effect on it and I loved this sound and the sound of so many other mesa artists I decided to buy a Mesa Boogie triple rectifier but I cant seem to get a similar sound to the rectifier sound of my vypyr or the sounds of those artists. the tone im looking for would compare to godsmack, poison era bullet for my valentine, old "heavy" nickelback. Also right now I have the gain pretty high on my rectifier because I do a lot of shredding and thrashy metalcore playing as well. would you suggest lowering the gain and buying an overdrive/distortion pedal for when I solo and play metalcore if so what are some good pedals? or does the really high gain not effect the type of tone im looking for.
i would try using a boost/overdrive pedal, yeah. Drive low, level high, tone to taste (on the pedal). Run that into your already distorted amp and that should get you something along the lines of what you're looking for. You can even leave it on for rhythms too if you prefer (and then maybe use the solo feature on the rectifier for leads, or even a second boost pedal).

Normally something tubescreamery is the way to go- on the cheap, the Boss SD1, Daphon E-OD20 (SD1 clone), Digitech Bad Monkey (glorified tubescreamer), joyo vintage overdrive (tubescreamer clone) and Ibanez TS7 (I haven't tried that one, but it's a bog standard tubescreamer) are worth a try. No need to spend any more than that, you need to see whether it'll do what you want, and even the cheap ones will easily let you see that without wasting your money on something more expensive which isn't necessarily much better.

EDIT: also what speaker cabinet are you using? and what guitar? Odds are an overdrive pedal will fix the problems, but it doesn't hurt to know everything you're using, just in case.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 17, 2013,
Ok thanks for the info I use a rectifier 2x12 cabinet for rehearsals and a slant rectifier 4x12 standard live. and I use ESP guitars with stock LH-150 pickups.
Quote by AlvinX13
Ok thanks for the info I use a rectifier 2x12 cabinet for rehearsals and a slant rectifier 4x12 standard live. and I use ESP guitars with stock LH-150 pickups.

So you use stock LTD guitars with the shitty ESP designed pickups. I believe we have a winner here

That is your biggest probem
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
right your cabs are fine, sweet.

^ possibly- i'd still try the od pedal solution first, though, on the basis that it's cheap (those pedals I mentioned shouldn't be more than $50 new, even less used), easy (no soldering or anything like that) and even if you get better pickups an od pedal is still useful.

But yeah swapping dodgy stock pickups would be worth considering in the long-run, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mesa's are pretty tricky to dial in. Spend some time tweaking settings. When I first got my Dual Rectifier tremoverb it took me a while to get it dialed in. The setting are pretty sensitive on these amps.
Keep in mind that everything you hear has been processed and edited heavily. And most musicians don't solely use the amps they endorse.

Look at Metallica for instance, they've endorsed Mesa for 20 years now but they've blended their Mesas with Marshalls for 10 years, and Wizards, Diezels, Randalls, Fenders, VHTs, etc in various albums.

I'd get an equalizer pedal and a boost or a tubescreamer (Dave_MC). That will really tighten it up and give you a little flexability with your tone.

One issue a lot of the rectifiers have (depending on the age) is that they are biased cold with 6L6's. Switching to EL34's in my case tightened up, added more saturation, and more warmth. You might look into some better tubes from eurotubes.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Album tones are almost always at least two different tracks of the same guitar part, played at obscene volumes, and in stereo. It’s a lot easier to model something similar digitally than it is to get it by just firing up the same amp at a reasonable volume at home. This is why modeling amps and distortion pedals exist.
Quote by MESAexplorer
Keep in mind that everything you hear has been processed and edited heavily. And most musicians don't solely use the amps they endorse.

Look at Metallica for instance, they've endorsed Mesa for 20 years now but they've blended their Mesas with Marshalls for 10 years, and Wizards, Diezels, Randalls, Fenders, VHTs, etc in various albums.

I'd get an equalizer pedal and a boost or a tubescreamer (Dave_MC). That will really tighten it up and give you a little flexability with your tone.

One issue a lot of the rectifiers have (depending on the age) is that they are biased cold with 6L6's. Switching to EL34's in my case tightened up, added more saturation, and more warmth. You might look into some better tubes from eurotubes.

+311
quick question first off thanks for the info you guys answered a lot of my question but another question would be firstly. Would the MXR fullbore metal be to much overdrive even on the pedals low gain settings also what would be a good noise gate just to get rid of that static hum from super high gain levels?
Quote by AlvinX13
quick question first off thanks for the info you guys answered a lot of my question but another question would be firstly. Would the MXR fullbore metal be to much overdrive even on the pedals low gain settings also what would be a good noise gate just to get rid of that static hum from super high gain levels?

Yeah, you want something like a TS style OD, not a distortion pedal. If money is an issue the Digitech Bad Monkey is great as a boost and really cheap. I also have a GFS Greenie Classic which is a TS-9/808 and another variant in one pedal. The Bad Monkey and the GFS Greenie are only $50 new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah i think it's sd1-based so it should work fine.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I should add I haven't tried it, that's just the word on the street.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok i just got enough cables to finally use my fx loop but when i plugged in my chorus phaser reverb and delay i turned on the loop and before engaging any effects that my overall tone gain presence and volume dropped drastically resulting in a very muddy toneless sound also the send and return level is set to normal. So my question is how do i fix this?
Have you adjusted the loop levels at all? try and see what happens.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yea i did it changed nothing but the volume still no tone and very muddy no matter how i adjusted it
does the FX loop run off a 12ax7 in that amp? If it does that maybe the issue, even if you have never used it before.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AlvinX13
Yea it does how do i find out if thats the problem

Put a new/good 12ax7 in there and see if it makes a difference
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Is yours a parallel loop? If so, you may be in for the same disappointment I experienced with my Single Rec. It clips very easily, no matter how you set the FX mix knob. I'm planning on converting mine to series. If you're decent with a soldering iron, making the change is suppose to be pretty straight forward. I emailed Mesa's tech support and got instructions for doing the conversion on my Single Rec. I'll get around to doing it at some point in the near future.
Ive gotten most of the problems squared away with my rec but now im thinking about switching my ESP LH-150 pickups for Seymour duncans but im not sure exactly which pickups I want. I like the way my LH-150's are EQed but I want a little more gain so does anyone know what duncans would fit the bill. I was thinking about the invader or Duncan distortion?
Do you have an extra set of EL-34's lying around? Switch the bias, swap the EL-34's in and see if you like the gain better.
sorry misworded that I meant higher output pickup not necessarily gain
Try the Seymour Duncan Black winter set I put them in my
Gibson studio and there very good. Versatile
for a metal pickup.
The secret to making a Recto sound good is to use moderate gain (11:00 to 1:00) and high volumes, then develop your pick attack until your right hand is a sledgehammer on the strings. You'll get a clearer, more percussive response out of the amp that is great for rhythm playing. I don't like boosting for rhythm but feel free to do whatever floats your boat.

For leads, any Tubescreamer variant... although the pedal of choice for many is a Maxon OD808. The OD808 becomes one with a Recto in a way other ODs I've tried don't quite seem to accomplish.

For pickups, the only way to know what you dig is to try a bunch for yourself. Borrow friends guitars if possible since it's cheaper than buying a bunch of pickups just to try them out. I generally prefer low output PAF style pickups or EMG 81s. If you want tight and articulate I'd start with the EMGs.