Hi all,

I am a complete noob so I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I have just bought an amPlug AC30 for practicing (on a Vintage V6, which is essentially a strat copy).

It seems a great piece of kit, but there is a lot of buzzing if I do anything with the tone dial. It seems the same on all pickup switch positions and wherever I put the guitar dials. The tone dial on the amPlug seems to do nothing that I can hear except increase the amount of buzz, which goes away at 1 (which is zero). I have not heard it before, but I have only previously played through an iRig and the software has always had noise/feedback cancelling features which might have masked it.

Is there a way to track where it is coming from? Does this happen on other people's amPlugs? I'm just thinking if I've got a dud amPlug then I would want to return it sooner rather than later! (If, on the other hand, my 2nd hand guitar has some wiring issues then that is something to sort out later, maybe after I can make a barre chord without THAT type of buzz!)

Many thanks in advance,
Martyn
Does it change when you are touching the strings?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hi, thanks Cathbard,

There is sometimes a different hum that varies depending on where I am in the house, and that one does change when I touch the strings. (I guess from other threads that depending which posts are rights that is either from bad ground wires, or is just part of life due to dimmer switches, WiFi and/or my own personal electricity?)

The noise I think might be coming from the amPlug is harsher and much louder, and only seems to change when I raise or lower the tone dial on the amPlug.

Thanks!
A bad earth will accentuate any interference from surrounding EM radiation. Basically, without the earth connected the strings act as an antenna.
Sounds like you have a faulty amplug. If it makes noise as you actually turn the tone pot then it's most likely to be the pot itself. I have the same amplug as you and it's pretty quiet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
That's a really big help, thanks again. For once I bought it in store rather than on Amazon so I will get them to check it on one of their guitars. It really helps to know you can expect the amPlug to be quiet!

ps, your amps look awesome... If only my flat was a little bigger/girlfriend a little friendlier towards the idea of a cab in the living room!
Quote by mhanmore
Hi all,

I am a complete noob so I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I have just bought an amPlug AC30 for practicing (on a Vintage V6, which is essentially a strat copy).

It seems a great piece of kit, but there is a lot of buzzing if I do anything with the tone dial. It seems the same on all pickup switch positions and wherever I put the guitar dials. The tone dial on the amPlug seems to do nothing that I can hear except increase the amount of buzz, which goes away at 1 (which is zero). I have not heard it before, but I have only previously played through an iRig and the software has always had noise/feedback cancelling features which might have masked it.

Is there a way to track where it is coming from? Does this happen on other people's amPlugs? I'm just thinking if I've got a dud amPlug then I would want to return it sooner rather than later! (If, on the other hand, my 2nd hand guitar has some wiring issues then that is something to sort out later, maybe after I can make a barre chord without THAT type of buzz!)

Many thanks in advance,
Martyn

Single coil pickups + microphone amp = tons of screeching in close proximity of the amp's speaker. Move further away from the amp.
Last edited by Gibson_LesPaul_ at Oct 18, 2013,
Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
Single coil pickups + microphone amp = tons of screeching in close proximity of the amp's speaker. Move further away from the amp.
Ermmm ... it's one of these:
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100