i play a Epiphone Les Paul Custom (stock pickups) through a Marshall MA100C tube combo(no pedals, gain all the way up). i tune a step down but occasionally ill tune to standard and i use .10 DR strings. with my band, we tune to drop C and play "modern" metal. i am the lead guitarist so i need some pickups that will give me the best tone and sustain for that. i want to stay away from EMGs because i feel like all you can play through them is metal and i need something more versatile, i have EMGs (81/85) on my other guitar and their clean tones are horrible. so my question is, which pickups will sound hot when playing metal but still keep the tone they should when i want to play clean jazzy melodies and chords??? sorry for the long essay, wanted to be specific
i haven't ever heard of how a dimarzio liquifire does in LP, but god they sound nice superstrats.

but really i haven't boughut them but have tried two out, BG pickups. very reasonable, sound great. custom wiind (last time i checked) great guy i have spoken with him a lot back when i was at HC. he is (may be was) an active member on there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Slap-happy
A friend swears by these, not 100% on which he has in his Epi Explorer, but they sound pretty decent.

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/

they come up quite a bit, but they are a little pricey, but from demos i have heard.

i really like Gibson 500t's for a bridge. i have one in my Gibson V and i bought one more ($40) 500t and threw it in the Gibson and it really wakes the bridge up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
i did some research and i think the john petrucci set might be good for me, its got the crunch lab as a bridge pick up and the liquifire as a neck pickup. they seem to have kind of a nice warm lead tone, i can imagine how nice arpeggios would sound compared to my stock pickups
I have some pickups, stock from a Les Paul Standard ('07 I think).

I want to get a reasonably priced Epi Dot (used) and put them in there, since the Epi stock ones are... okay at best.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
Upgrading the tubes in your amp is where I'd start first. Retube the preamp with JJ's and then re-assess what you need in the way of pickups.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Upgrading the tubes in your amp is where I'd start first. Retube the preamp with JJ's and then re-assess what you need in the way of pickups.

would that really make a difference? and how much of a difference? ive never changed tubes on any amp before so im new to it all. im not even sure what type of factory tubes i have in my amp
I haven't actually tried it on the MA but I have played one and to my ear it sounded like it was running really shit tubes. I do have a bit of an ear for that sort of thing. They are running shitty Chinese tubes (some Chinese tubes are ok) and it sounded like it to me. JJ's should round out the tone and stop it being quite so buzzy. It's certainly the first thing I'd be doing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by WastedWill
i did some research and i think the john petrucci set might be good for me, its got the crunch lab as a bridge pick up and the liquifire as a neck pickup. they seem to have kind of a nice warm lead tone, i can imagine how nice arpeggios would sound compared to my stock pickups

i have that in a 2750 Ibanez Prestige with that set i put in a month or two ago and love them, but LP's are so different than an RG, body wood/thickness/trem/stop tail, thick necks, thick necks, different woods.

but i love them in my rg
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!