I currently have a Blackstar tubo combo, and it's not quite getting the sound I want. I have very minimal experience with pedals, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any type of pedal(s) for me!

The bands/styles I usually play are
Foo Fighters
Comeback Kid
Breaking Benjamin
Stone Sour/Slipknot
Alkaline Trio
A Day to Remember
Killswitch Engage
The Offspring
Five Finger Death Punch
Iron Maiden
Atreyu
Cage the Elephant
Try boosting it with a Tubescreamer, and see how you feel after that.

The Digitech Bad Monkey is an excellent first TS, it's cheap and it has a good control/feature set. The low and high controls let you dial it in better than an OD with just a tone control.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The suggestion of a tube screamer was great. Most people start with some type of overdrive pedal. A reverb pedal is need for the Iron Maiden. A chorus pedal would be great too. I'm looking into pedals myself. So maybe they can give better specifics, like specific brands.
How does the Boss SD-1 compare to the digitech? and does anyone have any opinions on the Boss Metal Core and the Boss Metal Zone?
Last edited by Trubzzzz at Oct 18, 2013,
The SD-1 is grittier, adds more clipping (distortion). It may also be noisier (I don't have enough hands on time with a Bad Monkey to say for sure, but the SD-1 is pretty noisy).

Symmetrical ODs like the Bad Monkey (more closely similar to a Tubescreamer than the SD-1, which is asymetrical) tend to smooth out your tone and make it smoother, and more fluid. Asymmetrical drives tend to add more grit and grind to your tone, basically doing the opposite. Making the tone harsher.

It's just a preference thing. Most people prefer the smoothing qualities of TS style pedals. I prefer the grit the SD-1 style has. I'm currently using an MXR M77, which sounds very similar to the SD-1, but it's a little quieter.

Also please understand that neither of these are really extremely noticeable effects. That is how they differ, but using an SD-1 instead of a Bad Monkey isn't instantly going to turn your amp into a Boss HM-2. It'll just get you a little closer to that type of sound than a Bad Monkey will.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 18, 2013,
So overall what do you think the best combination or best pedal is then?
You're going to need a full on metal distortion pedal for playing the metalcore stuff like atreyu and slipknot. For the punk stuff get a more vintagey overdrive (or TS), something like a fulltone OCD or Barber Direct drive
>Gibson & Schecter Guitars
>Orange Amps
>And some neighbours to piss off
Quote by gay4slipknot
You're going to need a full on metal distortion pedal for playing the metalcore stuff like atreyu and slipknot. For the punk stuff get a more vintagey overdrive (or TS), something like a fulltone OCD or Barber Direct drive

May I suggest for the vintagey overdrive a Wampler Plexi-Drive?
Quote by gay4slipknot

Which model of a metal distortion do you recommend? and any good ideas for decent priced 'vintagey' tubescreamer?
Quote by Trubzzzz
Which model of a metal distortion do you recommend? and any good ideas for decent priced 'vintagey' tubescreamer?

All you need is an overdrive, something like this will be fine. It's a clone of the OCD.

http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-02-Overdrive-featuring-components/dp/B005M0CK9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382110776&sr=8-1&keywords=joyo+ultimate+drive

Also throwing an EQ into your FX loop will let you dial in your tone better.

http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-6-BAND-Equalizer-Guitar-Effect/dp/B007T8KI6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382111262&sr=8-1&keywords=joyo+eq
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 18, 2013,
Quote by Trubzzzz
(a) How does the Boss SD-1 compare to the digitech? (b) and does anyone have any opinions on the Boss Metal Core and the Boss Metal Zone?

(a) pretty similar. As offworld said, the digitech will be smoother, the boss grittier and edgier, but it's fairly subtle. you may well prefer one or the other, but both should hopefully do what you want.

(b) yeah avoid those ones. odds are an overdrive will be enough. you don't need a metal distortion pedal if your amp already has a fair amount of distortion already.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
TS, maybe give us a couple songs that you like the tone of, and we can go from there. Just giving bands you like, imo, doesn't help that much.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
TS, maybe give us a couple songs that you like the tone of, and we can go from there. Just giving bands you like, imo, doesn't help that much.

Wake the Dead, and Do Yourself a Favor - Comeback Kid
Shadow Moses - Bring Me the Horizon
Say You'll Haunt Me, Before I Forget, Socio - Stone Sour/Slipknot
Any A Day to Remember Song
Any Breaking Benjamin Song
Wasting Light album - Foo Fighters
Mercy Me, Calling All Skeletons, Hell Yes, Stupid Kid, Time to Waste, Warbrain, I Wanna be a Warhol - Alkaline Trio
Any 5FDP song
Quote by trubzzz
So I went and got the Way Huge Green Rhino

Lol. Do you like it? It's a very good option, one of the very better off-the-shelf Tubescreamers for sure.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I can't really vouch for the Green Rhino, but I just saw a Rig Rundown of Queens of the Stone Age's 2nd guitarist (can't remember his name), and he has 2 of them in his rig.

Speaking for WayHuge, I have their Swollen Pickle fuzz and it's amazing. Built like a tank, love the bottom-feed 9V battery access hatch and the sounds you can get for ~$100 are astounding.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Im still tinkering with it, trying to figure what its all capable of. The only complaint I have is that there's a a lot of feedback when the tone knob of my baritone is turned all the way up
Thats what the guitar center salesman was telling me, (about the QOTSA guitarist) he said it's the best choice for an OD at the price and that it should pair nicely with my amp.
If you run it like a normal dirt pedal, you won't get any results at all that you're happy with.

The way to boost an amp with an OD is to run the level maxed out, and the gain about between 6-8 o'clock.

Tone and the other EQ options the Green Rhino has just dial in to your taste.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Probably not.. I'm not familiar with all of the bands you've posted but I didn't recognize any that really used a fuzz. An overdrive would probably suit you best. Try following Offworld's suggestion.

What amp do you? Just curious.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by trubzzz
Would a fuzz pedal help at all or no?

nope

you want to run it the way offworld says. I've never tried a green rhino, but assuming it's just a glorified tubescreamer, run the gain/drive control at 0, the level/volume control at maximum, the tone control at around 2 o'clock, and then use the bass control (100Hz?) to cut bass the way a tubescreamer normally would. I'm guessing start at 12 o'clock for that. I dunno what the curve control is, it looks like it might affect the mids? if so, dial in a fair amount of mids with it, too.

run that into your overdrive channel, not the clean channel. and make sure it has a fair amount of distortion already dialled in.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?