When you make enhancements (e.g. change pickups) is this generally considered to increase or decrease re-sale value? Or does it 'just depend'?
In my experience, it decreases the value.

If you do it, do it because it's a mod you want to do, not because you think it'll make the guitar more valuable.

If you have a modded guitar you're thinking of selling, I'd personally recommend putting the original pickups back in (if you have them) and selling the guitar as standard & the pickups separately.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Jehannum
When you make enhancements (e.g. change pickups) is this generally considered to increase or decrease re-sale value? Or does it 'just depend'?

It depends. Generally, it reduces resale value.

If I'm looking for a particular model of guitar, I'm looking for what it brings to the table. When that guitar is modified, I have no idea what I'm getting.

Pickups and wiring, in particular, are at best a side-grade. They're someone else's idea of what sounds good, and it may not match mine. It's going to cost me extra to get it back to original. Further, I don't know who's been inside the guitar or how good they are at wiring/soldering. I've run into short leads, terrible soldering jobs, loose connections, grounding issues and more that were done by someone's "well-respected luthier."

Swapped tuners usually mean extra holes, sometimes mean that the headstock was reamed out to accommodate larger posts. A "new bone nut" usually indicates that I'm going to have to replace it with one cut to my specification. "Upgraded" bridges and stop bars made of "unobtanium for maximum sustain" mean nothing to me. And "upgraded" straplocks are usually of whatever variety I don't already have, and they mean I've gotta inspect the holes and see what kind of glop of toothpicks and glue have been stuffed in to make the smaller screws stay.

I'm not saying someone shouldn't modify his guitar as he sees fit. Just be aware that you reduce your pool of buyers for the guitar *and* that you're unlikely to see that money come back to you when it's time to sell.
I would of thought it depends on the guitar and the pickups. If someone swaps out v7 and v8s on an Ibanez for Dimarzio's it should only increase the value (but not by much). But some guitars such as Gibsons which are collectors would be best left with the original pickups.
Last edited by kingking22 at Oct 18, 2013,
Quote by GaryBillington

If you have a modded guitar you're thinking of selling, I'd personally recommend putting the original pickups back in (if you have them) and selling the guitar as standard & the pickups separately.

DO tell the buyers that you've put the original pickups back in, but be aware that even this will degrade the value of the guitar. Again, who knows what evil lurks in the re-wiring of a perfectly fine guitar if the old pickups were yanked and then replaced? I've had at least one that was so badly done I had to pull the pickups (he'd managed to short TWO of them) and replace everything with original bits. ARRRGH!
Quote by kingking22
I would of thought it depends on the guitar and the pickups. If someone swaps out v7 and v8s on an Ibanez for Dimarzio's it should only increase the value (but not by much).

It might, but it might have exactly the opposite effect.

When I was looking for an AR 300 Ibanez, I had to go through a bunch of ads from people who thought that DiMarzios (or whatever) were somehow an improvement over the outstanding 58's that they come with. One guy pulled the original speedgrip knobs and "improved" the guitar with Gibson Speed knobs. The original Ibanez knobs were going for $45 *each* on eBay, the Speeds about $5 a set, and he was dismayed to find that his inability to find the old knobs ("they looked like skateboard wheels!") cost him nearly $200 on the sale of his guitar.

Some folks routinely buy a pair of their favorite SD pickups for whatever new guitar they acquire. Some people plan mods for guitars they've never seen or played. Whatever the reason, simply spending the money doesn't guarantee any return at all.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 18, 2013,
normally decrease.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It only increase value to the owner. Monetarily, it quickly decreases value to someone else. The amount you spent on good mods doesn't matter to someone else. Not with cars, guitars, and not always with houses. Why? Buyers rarely want the exact same thing you once did, so they see it as a less-stable (because it's no longer factory) version of something custom that only YOU wanted, but obviously don't care for anymore (otherwise you wouldn't be selling it).
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
It depends on the mod, and who you're selling to. To the right buyer, it will increase in value. Since people's taste differs so dramatically, it's unlikely that this will occur however.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
It really does depend.

Painting? reduces
routing for new hardware? reduces
new misc hardware (getting gold hardware, changing knob type, writing of any king) reduces

generally replacing stock hardware for FAR superior hardware ever so slightly increases value

Swapped a floyd licensed/special for an original? slightly increases
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000
ESP EDWARDS LP-92CD
Shchecter ATX Blackjack
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster (H-S-S)
i would say it depends. doing anything to a gibson, PRS decreases. always. almost always. i would pay more if a guitar had upgraded pups, like, hand wound boutique pickups, and the job was done well, i would pay more.

thats just me personally.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
It depends on the guitar and the mod.

If it's a Fender Mexican strat and you install $300 of pickups, a new neck, and a new bridge, you can expect to get maybe $100-$300 more BUT you won't recoup the investment in mods.

I've noticed Ibanez RG2228's generally gain about $100 with a pickup swap from actives to a good set of passives (especially if you include all the original parts).

So unless you're more specific we can't be more specific.

That being said, you will NEVER recoup the value invested in the resale
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Pretty much any mod decreases value. When i n
Mod a guitar i always put it back to stock.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Basically, pickups from Kinman, Bareknuckle, and maybe Lollar will add value. Nothing else does.
Thats the great thing about modded guitars. Let someone else dump a small fortune on it, and you get to buy it and enjoy it for less than the price of it being stock.

I bought my gibson les paul dc as a modded guitar. It has a resomax bridge which is far superior to the stock gibson wraparound, grover usa tuners (again superior to stock), a tone styler pot, cts volume pot. It had emgs in it and he included the stock 490/498s, which i sold on cl and bought a great set of duncans. Also included a molded road runner case and I payed $600 for it total, after the purchase of the duncans. There was probably close to 2k invested in it if you include the original sticker price.

It's my favorite guitar, looks plays and sounds awesome, pretty much a pro axe, and I got it for less than an lpj

Modding guitars will kill the resale value 90% of the time, so please, mod the heck out of it so guys like me can get a great guitar for cheap.
correct, i think parts of the highest quality with a name will do it. lollar pups? heck yes.

but i would say only if the seller includes the original parts. for example, gibsons are known for thier pups. if i buy a gibson, i want the gibson pups. lollars on the side is a bonus.

a PRS - NO. dont. end of discussion.

a parker - can you even mod a parker? why. no go, go home bro.

a fender - hmm. is it USA? is it limited edition? is it a signature model? is it vintage? what parts were added? i personally would prefer a modded fender if it was the right parts added.
i also would prefer a modded Japan strat to a stock USA strat....thats just me.

a random guitar? like a mike kelly? whatever, yeah rip those pups out and give me some lollars. i will pay more.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Oct 19, 2013,
if its a guitar that has any value stock then mods will hurt it , irreversable mods will totally ruin its value
It just really depends. For instance, if you drop a quad of Celestion Blues into a cab it's value is definitely going up. The same way if you drop a pair of PAF's into a Les Paul... however, the sum of the parts RARELY equals what you have in it. You're better off converting it back to original and selling your upgraded parts separately.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by ikey_
correct, i think parts of the highest quality with a name will do it. lollar pups? heck yes.

Again, it's all a matter of individual taste. I'm not a fan of Lollar pickups and don't consider them the height of...well...anything. So while you might brighten up to find that someone had packed a guitar with them, I'd certainly not pay extra for the privilege of ripping them out later and replacing them with something I prefer.

That's not to put down your preference, of course -- just to demonstrate that pickups for most people are essentially a "side-grade." Every electric has to have pickups, so swapping out for something you prefer isn't an upgrade, no matter how much you paid for them.

I don't expect to get paid for what I've changed on a few of my guitars. For example, I've got an LP guitar that has had everything shaken out of it, with new routs added to move controls, etc. There's a Fernandes Sustainer (yes, two new holes and two new miniswitches) with a new rout in the back of the guitar for the circuit board and another for the battery box (this is one of two that were done this way).

The master volume has been relocated, there's an additional hole for that with the old hole used for a Buckethead-style kill switch. There's also a Chandler Tone-X (what amounts to a parked wah) active mids boost on a push-pull and a personalized pickup selector "poker chip" that says, "Bitch/Moan." In all, a highly personalized guitar with a wide-thin neck profile, a 1 3/4" wide nut, jumbo frets, 16" radius f/b and neck-through construction with a smooth neck heel. No way will I ever see a return on the money I've paid unless I find someone who has nearly identical tastes.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 20, 2013,
if you decide to mod a guitar.. its best to also decide not to sell it at any time in the future or be expected to take a loss if you do

My main guitar has been modded and its getting ready to go on the operating table again..

Jackson DK2
------------------
volume push/pull pot [push="normal;pull=volume bypass..ie. Solo mod"]
Tone push/Pull Pot [push=".047mF CAP;pull=.022mF CAP"]
DPDT mini switch [Kill switch]
3-way Switch [neck,N+B,Bridge]'

replaced the knobs,neck plate,changed the humbucker and will change the single coils eventually,gold SC covers.. I will also change tuning machines eventually too

awhile back I took the middle pickup out.. planing on putting back in soon, but instead of replacing the 3 way slide with a 5-way slide.. Ill control the pickup with a DPDT on/on/on switch..

yea.. will not sell evar. It plays and sounds really good

my thoughts:
a guitar is meant to be played..and to that end... mod the hell out of it to suit your needs BUT if you intended on selling it in the future.. keep everything stock especially if its rare or collectable
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Last edited by Mufassa at Oct 20, 2013,